Elvis gear

Pretty self-explanatory
Renfield

Elvis gear

Post by Renfield »

Hi!

I posted this question in the wrong place so I give it another try. Does anybody know what kind of pedals and fx Elvis uses on this tour?

Kind regards!
Renfield
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

On the WIWC tour he used some old fashioned tape loop delay system which you can kinda see here. Above is the set up he used for his solo show at KFOG on that tour - as to what those boxes are , well your guess is as good as mine.

echos myron like a siren
with endurance like the liberty bell
and he tells you of the dreamers
but he's cracked up like the road
and he'd like to lift us up, but we're a very heavy load
SweetPear

Post by SweetPear »

OMG, Elvis in denim!!! There's a combination I wouldn't like to see again anytime soon.
I'm not angry anymore....
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.lsionline.co.uk/news/story.asp?ID=-6XX6R6

JBL VerTec for Elvis Costello

UK - Front-of-house sound engineer Geoff Hooper is using a JBL VerTec VT 4889 line array system for Elvis Costello's current UK tour - a decision made as they stepped up a level in terms of production and venue size. Hopper has used VerTec for the three years he's been touring with Costello in the US, where the venues vary from 700 capacity clubs to 4000 capacity theatres and arenas. With several large concert halls on the itinerary for this UK leg of the tour, VerTec was the obvious option.

Costello knows exactly what he wants from a sound system, making the task of engineering simultaneously challenging and rewarding: "I interfere as little as possible with the distinctive Costello sound coming offstage," says Hopper. "I know I can get a great 'natural' sound out of the VerTec, and that's a primary reason it's my choice of system," he says.

Costello's flown system consists of ten VT 4889 elements per side. VerTec VT 4889 is JBL's full size three-way line array, and ideal for giving full and even coverage in any type of venue. 10 elements offer plenty of power to fill the rooms they are playing, and it's also "a great-sounding system when ground stacked," says Hooper.

VerTec's light weight (just 72kgs per element) makes it versatile and practical enough to be able to do this easily when lack of space excludes flying. The general ease of rigging - the system comes complete with integral hinge bars, rigging frames, quick-release pins, etc - is another great plus point for any touring situation.

Equipment for the UK leg of the Costello tour is supplied by Concert Sound, of which Hooper, along with Rob Collins, was a founding partner. Monitors - Concert Sound's own wedges and a Midas XL3 console - are mixed by Steve Flewin, a Costello veteran of 26 years. Concert Sound's systems engineer on the tour, Matt Grounds, also loves the fact that VerTec is so easy to fly or ground stack. He adds that the coverage is great and the low end is substantial - and area where it sees off many other comparable systems!

Hooper has actually used JBL equipment since the start of his career in music and sound back in the late 1960s, initially as a musician. He did his first tour as a sound engineer in 1972 and has continued to be a big JBL fan throughout the years. "JBL has always been cutting edge as well as delivering excellent and solid sound," he says.

Concert Sound purchased their initial VerTec system from Harman's UK distributors, Harman Pro UK in 2003, since when the system has been constantly expanded and updated, and is always busy with a variety of artists, including recent and current work for Eric Clapton, Cream and Lenny Kravitz.

(Lee Baldock)