Random Thoughts

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

colrow, I'm sorry if I sounded harsh, but I'm deathly scared of falling ill in this country, even *with* insurance. And the sliding scale thing sounds good, but the last time I had to take advantage of it, the people at the clinic told me that living with family (I'd just gotten back from Argentina and didn't have a job, let alone insurance) was equivalent to income of $800 a month. I ended up having to put the visit (thankfully only a couple hundred dollars) on my credit card.

My current doctor won't see anyone without insurance. My company switched carriers a few months ago, right before I had an appointment scheduled, and they insisted that I bring in the actual insurance card. I told them I was waiting for it to arrive in the mail, and could bring in a letter stating that I had insurance, but no dice. No card, no service. And the co-pay was $30!

So even though my experience has been nothing compared to some of the horror stories I've heard, I'm a tiny bit soured on the whole thing.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Sicko has been getting great reviews here. Sounds like a worthy addition to the debate.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
scielle
Location: Berkeley, CA; London, UK; Montreal QC; Toronto ON; New York

Post by scielle »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Sicko has been getting great reviews here. Sounds like a worthy addition to the debate.
I can't believe I'm saying this but at that scene where he takes the lot to be treated in Cuba and meet the firefighters actually had me crying... and I don't cry in movies. Ever.
Yeah, I know it's Michael Moore, and I know his arguments are simplistic and full of holes, but hell, he can sure presenet them with verve!
colrow26

Post by colrow26 »

Miss Buenos aires wrote
colrow, I'm sorry if I sounded harsh, but I'm deathly scared of falling ill in this country
No need to apologise!! one of the many joys of this forum is hearing the opinions of people in other parts of the world. Its fascinating when the same social problems/worries are reflected world wide. My worry over here is the rise of these superbugs that seem to be increasing instead of being brought under control.

Sod the medical insurance, chocolate is the best panacea!! works for me every time :)

Col
...I want him to hurt...
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Well I'm back to work after having 3 weeks off with my lovely new daughter and I see people on this very board have been causing mischief...

Baby's are hard work aren't they? And I don't seem to have gotten an instruction manual with mine. Anyone got a spare one?
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

You think babies are hard work, you should try 9 year olds.

There are no manuals for babies, but if you can find a manual for looking after a puppy they are pretty much the same (apart from babies take longer to toilet train).
signed with love and vicious kisses
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

Got a speeding ticket in the mail today. :x
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Boy With A Problem wrote:Got a speeding ticket in the mail today. :x
Big Brother state. How fast were you going?
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Boy With A Problem

Who Shot Sam? wrote:
84 in a 70 - not extreme for around here. They give you a website you can go to to see the photographic evidence, but there's all sorts of sign in stuff - and they warn you that your IP address is logged. It was bound to happen - but the last time three times I was pulled over in the US - I managed to talk my way out a ticket - they should give me the same chance over here.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Boy With A Problem wrote:
Who Shot Sam? wrote:
84 in a 70 - not extreme for around here. They give you a website you can go to to see the photographic evidence, but there's all sorts of sign in stuff - and they warn you that your IP address is logged. It was bound to happen - but the last time three times I was pulled over in the US - I managed to talk my way out a ticket - they should give me the same chance over here.
For sure.

Last time I got a ticket was down at the end of our street here - 4 years ago - for going 40 in a 30 MPH zone. I was incredulous. We have teenagers (those rotten kids!) flying by at 55 and one even peeled out across our lawn last year, almost hitting my son. And yet I get a ticket. It was apparently just a bid to pay for the holiday party, because I went to court a few months later and the cop agreed to bargain it down to a burned out headlight, with a nominal fine.
Otis Westinghouse

[quote="so lacklustre"]You think babies are hard work, you should try 9 year olds./quote]
You think 9 year olds are hard work, you should try teenagers.

I got an effing speeding fine from South Yorkshire recently. 36 in a 30mph area. I bunch of people were up from Cambridge to Yorks for a wedding, an I made the slowest time of all of us as I had guests in the car and was being extra careful. Bastards. This a year after having to pay £200 in Surrey due to having my son in the back of our estate care with no seat-belt, etc. And yet I had to sit there at 70 on the M11 recently watching a 20something woman ovetaking me, easily doing 80, both hands holding mobile phone, rested on top of steering wheel, and texting at the same time. I could puke.
StrictTime

Post by StrictTime »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:
so lacklustre wrote:You think babies are hard work, you should try 9 year olds.
You think 9 year olds are hard work, you should try teenagers.
...The's something my mum would say. I'm not that difficult!

Got nothing to add about speeding tickets, but I can't wait for my
Trust vinyl to come in the mail.

Also, small acts of kindness can really make your day. When I got to school this morning, my friend Steve had bought me a muffin for breakfast. It made me happy. :D
Why don't you write about it in your blag?
verbal gymnastics

so lacklustre wrote:You think babies are hard work, you should try 9 year olds.
Something else to look forward to...
so lacklustre wrote:There are no manuals for babies, but if you can find a manual for looking after a puppy they are pretty much the same (apart from babies take longer to toilet train).
Anyone got a manual for a puppy? :lol:
Can't you just tell them you don't know who was driving. It works if you're a celebrity. Or just tell them you're a member of the Board Elite.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

And if you think teenagers are tough, try 22 year olds.

Kidding. I feel like Indiana Jones' dad - he left just when he got interesting.

It's true. You spend the first two years trying to teach them to walk and talk, and the next 16 trying to get them to sit down and shut up. And some of them bite!
Like me, the "g" is silent.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

mood swung wrote:You spend the first two years trying to teach them to walk and talk, and the next 16 trying to get them to sit down and shut up.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Otis Westinghouse

StrictTime wrote:...The's something my mum would say. I'm not that difficult!
I was thinking more 14.
Boy With A Problem

verbal gymnastics wrote:
Can't you just tell them you don't know who was driving. It works if you're a celebrity. Or just tell them you're a member of the Board Elite.
I could tell them I was too drunk and stoned that day to remember much of anything. But they have "photographic evidence" and a lot of literature explaining how their speed capturing machine was calibrated. I was on the A303 close to Stonehenge - I could blame the aliens or perhaps even the Druids.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Boy With A Problem wrote:Stonehenge - I could blame the aliens or perhaps even the Druids.
"Where a man's a man and the children dance to the pipes of Pan..."
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

mood swung wrote:It's true. You spend the first two years trying to teach them to walk and talk, and the next 16 trying to get them to sit down and shut up. And some of them bite!
This has got to be one of the single most profound things anyone on this board has ever said. Remind me to buy you a beer the next time I see you, Moody. :lol:
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

I heard it on tv or read it in Reader's Digest and I took it to heart.

Here's one just for Verbs - 5 weird things about babies.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/HEALTH/family/1 ... index.html
StrictTime

Post by StrictTime »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:
StrictTime wrote:...The's something my mum would say. I'm not that difficult!
I was thinking more 14.
Well then, entirely different. I was much more a horror at 14.

And speaking of baby maladies, one in my family now has eczema. Poor little booger, but it beats the hell out of a third nipple. He's got to wear mittens and use ointment.
Why don't you write about it in your blag?
verbal gymnastics

mood swung wrote:Here's one just for Verbs - 5 weird things about babies.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/HEALTH/family/1 ... index.html
Actually I did know about those 5 and checked to see if Baby Verbs could audition in the future for a part as a female Scaramanger should the James Bond film ever be remade. Unfortunately should she do so then cosmetic make up will be required.

Mrs VG got to sleep for three two hour periods last night before feeding was necessary. It was good of her to get up and make me sandwiches.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

verbal gymnastics wrote:Mrs VG got to sleep for three two hour periods last night before feeding was necessary. It was good of her to get up and make me sandwiches.
Hmm. I'm thinking maybe I need to initiate some correspondence with Mrs. VG - just to validate your comments, Verbal. :wink:
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

So, we're all studiously avoiding mention of Norman Mailer...

And in other news, we are changing Austin's name from Austin James to Peyton Manning.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

mood swung wrote:And in other news, we are changing Austin's name from Austin James to Peyton Manning.
Why? Did he throw six interceptions in a pee-wee football game?