picky spelling issue

Pretty self-explanatory
shawnlike

picky spelling issue

Post by shawnlike »

Hey, I loved "Delivery Man", but why does everyone keep spelling 'judgment' incorrectly? No 'e', folks.
normabuel

Post by normabuel »

Look it up, I did. I was troubled by that too, but I have found that both spellings are accepted.
//I can't forgive you for things you haven't done yet
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Shawn is spelt Sean.
signed with love and vicious kisses
miss buenos aires

Re: picky spelling issue

Post by miss buenos aires »

shawnlike wrote:Hey, I loved "Delivery Man", but why does everyone keep spelling 'judgment' incorrectly? No 'e', folks.
Finally, someone who shares my number one pet peeve! We should totally get married. I let Elvis get away with it (spelling judgment wrong--among other things) because he's English.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

While we're on the topic, isn't 'Lovable' from KOA spelled incorrectly? Isn't the proper spelling 'Loveable'? Or is this another case of alternate spellings being accepted?
LittleFoole

Post by LittleFoole »

pophead2k wrote:While we're on the topic, isn't 'Lovable' from KOA spelled incorrectly? Isn't the proper spelling 'Loveable'? Or is this another case of alternate spellings being accepted?
Ya mean it ain't Loveabull ??? :lol:
millen

Post by millen »

In the case of judgement both spellings are allowed, although the Oxford dictionary prefers the one above.

And it's lovable.
Zombies man, they freak me out.
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

Heres one for you to fight over....

'You like potato and I like potahto,
You like tomato and I like tomahto;
Potato, potahto, tomato, tomahto!
Let's call the whole thing off!' :lol:
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
wardo68

Post by wardo68 »

Who wants to tackle the Town Cryer/Crier question?
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

I blame Noah Webster. It was perfectly simple until he came along. :wink:
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"
alexv

Post by alexv »

As someone who writes for a living, I get as annoyed as the next person when people make spelling mistakes (relevant/relevent and affect/effect are pet peeves). But I definitely will not join the spelling police. Spelling mistakes are annoying, but the notion that bad spelling (like bad grammar) is a sign of a muddled mind (an argument frequently used by the grammar police) is utter nonsense. People like William Safire in the US, who specialize in telling us the nuances of spelling and grammar are modern-day intellectual bullies, who use rules that (particularly in english) make little or no sense to establish their intellectual superiority. These rules also serve to discriminate against otherwise intelligent people who, due to lack of educational opportunities, just did not get taught the basics. Who cares if you say judgement and I say judgment. These are conventions and not scientific rules. They have no inherent meaning and are simply expressions of what an educational elite decided was correct at the time. I am not arguing that we cen spel worrds any wey wi wan tu, that would cause confusion, but I think that when someone says judgment I get the drift even if I prefer judgement (something about a "soft" e after a c or a g having to be retained, or some other nonsense like that).
Taste Of Poison

Post by Taste Of Poison »

Oxford English Dictionary: 'judgement' ... WITH an 'e'

'judgment' is acceptable (but nothing more than a cross-reference to the 'judgement' entry.

This must be an American thing ...

Pfff ... I can't believe I did this :roll:
millen

Post by millen »

Taste Of Poison wrote:Oxford English Dictionary: 'judgement' ... WITH an 'e'

'judgment' is acceptable (but nothing more than a cross-reference to the 'judgement' entry.

This must be an American thing ...

Pfff ... I can't believe I did this :roll:
Can't believe you missed my post where I say the exact same. :roll:
:)
millen

Post by millen »

wardo68 wrote:Who wants to tackle the Town Cryer/Crier question?
My penguin all English dictionary from way back says:

Town-crier

Don't forget the hyphen. :wink:

I love looking up words. Although it kind of comes with the job of course.
Taste Of Poison

Post by Taste Of Poison »

I must have had my hair in my eyes :lol:
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Isn't Town Cryer just word play?

The spelling thing is age related too. I used to be an excellent spellster, but now I'm past 40 I find I can't remember how to spell some words. I think my brain has just got full up with all sorts of other shit that I'd rather remember, and so the spellings get 'archived'.
signed with love and vicious kisses
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Alex V.-- right on.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

alexv wrote:These rules also serve to discriminate against otherwise intelligent people who, due to lack of educational opportunities, just did not get taught the basics. Who cares if you say judgement and I say judgment. These are conventions and not scientific rules. They have no inherent meaning and are simply expressions of what an educational elite decided was correct at the time. I am not arguing that we cen spel worrds any wey wi wan tu, that would cause confusion, but I think that when someone says judgment I get the drift even if I prefer judgement (something about a "soft" e after a c or a g having to be retained, or some other nonsense like that).
It's a matter of context, innit? Because it's bound by convention, you expect it a certain way. Convention dictates that the printed word is spelt a certain way, or maybe an accepted alternative way, so 'judgement' with or without the 'e' is nothing to do with a lack of educational opportunities, whereas writing 'judgemant' might be. English is a bugger to spell, of course it makes sense to try and do it correctly.

Cue the apostrophe debate.

Actually, what really gets on my tits is the use of non-words like 'appropriacy'. Does any dictionary list this? I had an email with is in c. 10 times. Yuk. then again, if enough people use it. convention dictates it is an acceptable alternative, which would be a shame as it's just wrong.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Tim(e)

Post by Tim(e) »

My pet peeve is the use of "z" in place of "s", but it seems that spelling really is overrated as the following should convince you:
===============
I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid Aoccdrnig to rscheearch taem at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Such a cdonition is arppoiately cllaed Typoglycemia :)-

Amzanig huh? Yaeh and yuo awlyas thought slpeling was ipmorantt.
===============
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

I'm always amused by the jargon used in different environments. I work for a utility and two words I hear a lot are 'productionise' (a verb, apparently) and 'energisation' (i.e. the act of turning on the electricity supply).

Also, sports commentators can create words in the heat of the moment. During the Liverpool/Chelsea match the other night, after Gudgeonson did some fancy footwork then made a lame shot at goal I heard 'What a waste after that marvelous jugglery'. :lol:
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"