Richard Thompson - new album, 5-disc box set, live CD &

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
invisible Pole

Richard Thompson - new album, 5-disc box set, live CD &

Post by invisible Pole »

This is from Billboard.com :

http://www.billboard.com/bb/daily/artic ... 1000904860

Thompson Plans Album, Box, Live Releases

Revered singer/songwriter/guitarist Richard Thompson has an impressive slate of releases planned throughout the rest of 2005, including a new studio album, a five-disc box set and several live CDs and DVDs.

The new studio work, "Front Parlour Ballads," will be Thompson's first solo acoustic album in more than 25 years. Due Aug. 9 through Cooking Vinyl USA, the album boasts 13 songs, with instrumentation largely performed by Thompson and only occasional percussion added by Debra Dobkin (Jackson Browne, Bonnie Raitt).
Thompson will herald the new album with an Aug. 8 performance at Joe's Pub in New York. He has been performing some selections from "Front Parlour Ballads" during his ongoing tour, which stops Friday (May 6) in Morgantown, W.Va.

On May 10, New West will issue CD and DVD versions of Thompson's 2001 appearance on the PBS series "Austin City Limits." Like other releases in this series, the DVD will encompass the entirety of his performance, rather than the edited broadcast version. The CD omits a rendition of "Put It There Pal" due to time constraints of the format.

Although details are scant at deadline, U.K.-based Free Reed Records & Music is planning a five-disc Thompson box set for the fall, which will encompass classic material from the artist, as well as previously unreleased songs. Free Reed has previously issued several comprehensive collections related to pioneering folk rock act Fairport Convention, which counted Thompson as a member from 1967 to 1971.

Also due in the fall is "1,000 Years of Popular Music," a CD/DVD project stemming from a pair Thompson performances in February at Bimbo's in San Francisco. Thompson self-released a 23-track CD culled from similar 2002 New York performances in 2003.

Lastly, Thompson's contributed to the soundtrack of director Werner Herzog's "Grizzly Man," which will hit U.S. theaters this fall. The documentary about outdoorsman Timothy Treadwell premiered in January at the Sundance Film Festival, where it won the Alfred P. Sloan Feature Film Prize for a film on science and technology.

Sessions for the project, which featured Danielle DeGruttola (cello), producer Henry Kaiser (guitar), Sonic Youth's Jim O'Rourke (guitar, keyboards) and Damon Smith (bass), were filmed for probable inclusion on the eventual DVD release of "Grizzly Man."
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Good news....Free Reed did the Sandy Denny and Fairport box sets brilliantly, so I expect the RT one to be amazing. 'Watching The Dark' is pretty good as sets go..but 5 discs!
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Update on the reissue.
Looks like Elvis' rendition of "End Of The Rainbow" will appear on Thompson's box set.

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/art ... 1001526234

Thompson's 'Music' Box Due In February

November 22, 2005, 10:45 AM ET
Barry A. Jeckell, N.Y.

Details are finally coming to light about "RT - The Life and Music of Richard Thompson," which has been in the works for several months. Due Feb. 7 through the U.K.-based independent Free Reed Records and Music label, the five-disc collection set will trace the troubadour's career as a solo artist, with seminal U.K. folk act Fairport Convention, in partnership with ex-wife Linda and in other settings.

Disc one, "Walking the Long Miles Home -- Muswell Hill to L.A.," boasts songs based in reality, while the second, "Finding Better Words -- The Essential Richard Thompson," was compiled via fan polls, but represents those favorites through previously unheard recordings.

"Shine in the Dark -- Epic Live Workouts," the third disc, focuses on the revered guitarist's instrumental improvisation. A fourth disc pulls together nearly 20 covers -- everything from Thompson's version of the Who's "Substitute" to the traditional "Danny Boy" -- all in a concert setting. Also featured are Thompson's contributions to covers of his songs by Norma Waterson, Dave Burland and Judith Owen.

The final disc, "Something Here Worth More Than Gold-- Real Rarities" is a must for hardcore fans, with rare demos, outtakes and live versions of songs all new to a Thompson release.

Expanding the set further is a limited edition sixth disc, "RT on FR," that will be distributed to the first 5,000 buyers who send an included voucher to Free Reed. Thirteen of the disc's 17 tracks are drawn from earlier releases by the label that concentrated on Fairport Convention or his Albion Country Band.

The balance is songs written by Thompson donated for this collection. Two are previously released -- Elvis Costello's "End of the Rainbow" from 1986's "King of America" and Grace Notes' "Withered & Died" from 1998's "Red Wine & Promises." Exclusive to this bonus disc are John Clough's "Beeswing" and Deborah Cowan's "Has He Got a Friend for Me?"

Completing the package is a 172-page book detailing Thompson's life and career, with a discography and notes on every track compiled by Nigel Schofield. An extensive interview with the artist is also included.
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Cool...February it is. Did you buy the Grizzly Man soundtrack thing...I couldn't bring myself to, cos Persuasion was on the Live at Austin CD.
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

Just had confirmation of my order from Free Reed, and it includes this statement:
However all RT Sets ordered from Free Reed are guaranteed to include the 6th 'freebie' CD!
Result!
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

... arrived in yesterday's post ... listening to CD1 as I type ... magic!
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"