Club Date - Live In Memphis DVD - Comments

Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.memphisflyer.com/content.asp ... 39&ID=7309

After Elvis Costello's Beale Street Music Festival performance, he was spotted at both Ardent and Royal recording studios doing his homework before (hopefully) deciding to cut his next album in Memphis. And, if the Irishman has his way, American Dream Safari guru Tad Pierson will become a bona-fide celebrity. Footage of Costello cruising around Memphis and the Mississippi Delta in Pierson's pink Cadillac is prominently featured on the DVD Club Date: Elvis Costello & the Imposters Live in Memphis.

"I haven't seen it, but we filmed last fall, the day before his Hi-Tone concert," Pierson explains of the DVD, which was released last month. "I had a cameraman in the front seat, [drummer] Pete Thomas and Elvis in the backseat, and a support vehicle following us around. He seemed to enjoy his time here, so it wouldn't surprise me if he came back to record another record."
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

The La Times listing of this dvd has this scary photo

Vis

Post by Vis »

martinfoyle wrote:The La Times listing of this dvd has this scary photo

I just found my new desktop background.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.salon.com/ent/audiofile/index.html

Salon.com

Audiofile by Thomas Bartlett

Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Costello in concert

Some of you may remember that I was pretty thrilled about the Elvis Costello performance I saw at South by Southwest in March. Given that, I'm somewhat surprised by the lukewarm reaction I've had to the new live DVD of the same band, playing practically the same set, just six months before I saw them. What felt fresh and vibrant live feels somewhat stale when captured on film, and what came across as a band looking forward, not back, comes across as something of a nostalgia trip. But even if it's just a nostalgia trip, it's a nostalgia trip about something that's really worth feeling nostalgic for. And even if this band doesn't play with the same ferocity it did two or three decades ago, it is still a fearsome and formidable rock band, and one of the best in the business.

Costello himself is strangely immobile in his big, blocky suit, but the rest of the band is plenty dynamic: Pete Thomas as intense as ever, singing along with songs he's been playing half his life; Steve Nieve with the feverish stare of a mad scientist mid-experiment; and relative newcomer Davey Farragher with a delightfully carefree bounce.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/article.php?id=17529

All About Jazz

Elvis Costello & The Imposters: Live in Memphis

By John Kelman

Elvis Costello and The Imposters
Live in Memphis
Eagle Rock Entertainment

When Elvis Costello and The Imposters toured Canada in 2003, the apparent inability to pigeon-hole the group resulted in their being booked at the Montreal Jazz Festival, the Ottawa Blues Festival and the Winnipeg Folk Festival. More a question of finding a venue in each city, the reality is that, while Costello has dabbled in songwriter styles far and wide, with The Imposters there’s no real problem defining what he’s doing: it’s unabashed rock and roll, plain and simple. And on the recently-released concert DVD, Club Date: Live in Memphis, Costello and The Imposters deliver a two-hour set, in front of an intimate crowd of 200, of the kind of high octane rock that has characterized much of Costello’s career.

Opening with the one-two-three punch of “Waiting for the End of the World” from My Aim is True, segueing into “Radio Radio” and tying up with “Mystery Dance,” also from My Aim is True, Costello and The Imposters set the general tone for the whole concert -- a raucous energy filled with Costello’s raw guitar, Steve Nieve’s Jerry Lee Lewis-style piano and just-the-right-amount-of-cheese organ and Davey Faragher’s bass, which creates an unfailing pocket coupled with Pete Thomas’ powerful drums. In fact, by the time the band hit the ballad “Country Darkness,” it’s an overdue respite.

From there the pacing is a little more balanced, mixing more powerful tunes like “Blame it on Cain” and “High Fidelity” with soulful ballads including “Either Side of the Same Town” and “Alison.” Costello even visits his country roots with three tunes where the group is joined by vocalist Emmylou Harris, taking the pace down a number of notches before finishing the night with another three punch: “Suspicious Minds,” “Peace Love and Understanding” and “Pump It Up.”

When Costello first emerged, out from under the New Wave banner of the late ‘70s, what distinguished him instantly from most of his contemporaries was his voice -- with a range, power and, frankly, musicality that was almost contradictory to most of the singers around him -- and his writing -- lyrics that belied more literate concerns. Here his voice and lyrical acumen remain intact. Now in his 50s, Costello has lost none of the range and power that he had when he first emerged nearly 30 years ago.

Recorded in high definition, the audio and video qualities are superb. And if the concert footage isn’t enough, there are some bonus performances -- including two more with Harris -- along with entertaining “reality” footage of Costello and Thomas driving around Memphis, along with interviews with fans in the long line-up for the paltry 200 seats available for the show.

For Costello fans it doesn’t get much better than this -- a hot concert in an intimate setting with Costello and The Imposters running through a 21-song set that touches on Costello’s entire career. Fiercely energetic at times, remarkably tender at others, it’s a vivid picture of one of the few artists to emerge from the New Wave scene of the ‘70s who has managed to build a lifelong career that is more than just a nostalgia trip. As vital now as he’s ever been, and still putting out new records with the kind of consistency that few achieve, Club Date: Live in Memphis is great rock and roll and, as they used to say in the vinyl days, is best experienced when played LOUD.

Personnel: Elvis Costello (guitar, vocals); Steve Nieve (keyboards); Davey Faragher (bass, backing vocals); Pete Thomas (drums); with guest Emmylou Harris (vocals on “I Still Miss Someone,” “Heart Shaped Bruise,” “Wheels” and bonus tracks “My Baby’s Gone” and “Sleepless Nights”)

Track Listing: Waiting for the End of the World; Radio Radio; Mystery Dance; Blue Chair; Bedlam; Country Darkness; Blame it on Cain; Either Side of the Same Town; High Fidelity; The Judgement; Monkey to Man; The Monkey; I Still Miss Someone; Heart Shaped Bruise; Wheels; The Delivery Man; Hidden Charms; Alison/Suspicious Minds; Peace Love and Understanding; Pump It Up
Bonus Songs: My Baby’s Gone; There’s a Story in Your Voice; Sleepless Nights
Special Features: Road Trip Documentary “Off the Beaten Path,” a Road Trip with Elvis Costello and Pete Thomas; Radio and the Fan
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

A chart in a DVD mag. has 'Memphis at No.9 in a HMV ' best selling music DVD' list.

I can't find a 'net link , except for this HMV Music DVD page , which has the disc in a 'best seller' category.

http://www2.hmv.co.uk/hmvweb/navigate.d ... GenreID=34
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

And, whoa, what a good month June is, in terms of Being There...

Nice review, Pip. Not sure though about "one of the best Elvis Costello & The Imposters concerts in their whole existence".
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Ad. from Paste , June/July '05

verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Having had a chance to watch the show in its entirety, when I compare the way the Imposters are playing at the time of the show to how they're playing now, I feel the DVD was should have been recorded now.

Songs like Monkey to Man and particularly Either Side of the Same Town are sung and played much better now than they were then. It would have been better surely to get the songs well rehearsed and into the repertoire rather than record them last year as they did and have things like song sheets showing, false starts etc. I think this was a good opportunity missed.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

I must agree.

So why doesn't EC and the band just hire you, Verbal? You seem to have it all figured out. :wink:
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

spooky girlfriend wrote:I must agree.

So why doesn't EC and the band just hire you, Verbal? You seem to have it all figured out. :wink:
I can't bear to be away from Mrs VG for too long. She's already lost me 5 nights this year to Elvis!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Adam2

Post by Adam2 »

does anyone else hear distortion like someone else here mentioned? specifically in Blue Chair, Blame It On Cain, etc., you can hear digital sounding distortion...as in not natural sounding. Its really distracting on Blue Chair.
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

Looks like this show will be a part of the New Years Eve music marathon on German TV channel 3sat
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Australian TV

http://www.abc.net.au/tv/guide/abc2/200 ... 190000.htm

Elvis Costello: Live In Memphis

7:00pm Tuesday, July 4, 2006

Costello returns to his musical roots, leaving the cozy comfort of theatre-sized venues for a sweaty club in Memphis, for a set that rolls out his best songs from his 27-year career.
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Here's your chance to buy it in another format.

Eagle Rock turns up the music on Blu-Ray

Eagle Rock announced a number of high definition titles for release in October, including Toto: Live In Amsterdam, Pat Metheny Group: The Way Up – Live, Elvis Costello And The Imposters: Club Date - Live In Memphis, The Black Crowes: Freak 'N' Roll...Into The Fog - The Black Crowes All Join Hands: The Filmore, San Francisco and Alice Cooper: Live At Montreux 2005.

“Toto: Live In Amsterdamâ€
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Oh no, now for second time round with DVDs! Must be great. Revisited this DVD recently when lending it to a friend who, unbelievably, went to the Cambridge Folk Festival with wife and kids and left before headlining Emmylou as his wife wanted to the get the kids home to bed! I loaned him Club Date out of sympathy. I watched it again first and thought it was just fantastic, which he agreed with entirely.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Amazon in the UK has the blu ray disk for preordering:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Elivs-Costello- ... UTF8&s=dvd
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Otis Westinghouse

Blu ray?
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Blu ray?
http://www.blu-ray.com/info/

Blu-ray, also known as Blu-ray Disc (BD), is the name of a next-generation optical disc format jointly developed by the Blu-ray Disc Association (BDA), a group of the world's leading consumer electronics, personal computer and media manufacturers (including Apple, Dell, Hitachi, HP, JVC, LG, Mitsubishi, Panasonic, Pioneer, Philips, Samsung, Sharp, Sony, TDK and Thomson). The format was developed to enable recording, rewriting and playback of high-definition video (HD), as well as storing large amounts of data. The format offers more than five times the storage capacity of traditional DVDs and can hold up to 25GB on a single-layer disc and 50GB on a dual-layer disc. This extra capacity combined with the use of advanced video and audio codecs will offer consumers an unprecedented HD experience.

While current optical disc technologies such as DVD, DVD±R, DVD±RW, and DVD-RAM rely on a red laser to read and write data, the new format uses a blue-violet laser instead, hence the name Blu-ray. Despite the different type of lasers used, Blu-ray products can easily be made backwards compatible with CDs and DVDs through the use of a BD/DVD/CD compatible optical pickup unit. The benefit of using a blue-violet laser (405nm) is that it has a shorter wavelength than a red laser (650nm), which makes it possible to focus the laser spot with even greater precision. This allows data to be packed more tightly and stored in less space, so it's possible to fit more data on the disc even though it's the same size as a CD/DVD. This together with the change of numerical aperture to 0.85 is what enables Blu-ray Discs to hold 25GB/50GB.

Blu-ray is currently supported by more than 170 of the world's leading consumer electronics, personal computer, recording media, video game and music companies. The format also has broad support from the major movie studios as a successor to today's DVD format. Seven of the eight major movie studios have already announced titles for Blu-ray, including Warner, Paramount, Fox, Disney, Sony, MGM and Lionsgate. The initial line-up is expected to consist of over 100 titles and include recent hits as well as classics such as Batman Begins, Desperado, Fantastic Four, Fifth Element, Hero, Ice Age, Kill Bill, Lethal Weapon, Mission Impossible, Ocean's Twelve, Pirates of the Caribbean, Reservoir Dogs, Robocop, and The Matrix. Many studios have also announced that they will begin releasing new feature films on Blu-ray Disc day-and-date with DVD, as well as a continuous slate of catalog titles every month.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Otis Westinghouse

Nice one! Why bother with Google when you folks is so helpful?
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Clubdate - Live in Memphis is now available on Vongo:

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stori ... 944&EDATE=

Vongo Lands More Concert Fare With Eagle Rock Agreement

New Concert Debuts for Unlimited Subscription Video Download Service

ENGLEWOOD, Colo., Dec. 27 /PRNewswire/ -- Starz Entertainment announced today that Vongo will be increasing the service's concert selection with a new music content acquisition agreement with Eagle Rock Entertainment.
Thirty-eight Eagle Rock full-length concerts from the worlds of classic rock, modern rock and R&B, join the hundreds of other concerts and music documentaries already available to Vongo subscribers for unlimited
subscription downloads.

Vongo delivers broadband movies and other video content for playback on
Windows-based PCs, laptops, select portable media devices and TV, and
provides subscribers unlimited access to more than 1,000 movies and 2,300 total video selections as well as a live, streaming Starz TV channel for a monthly cost of $9.99.

Highlights from the Eagle Rock concerts include: The Doors: Live in
Europe 1968 (2004), The Diary of Alicia Keys (2004), The Pretenders: Loose in LA (2003), The Who: Live at The Isle of Wight 1970 (2004), Wyclef Jean's All-Star Jam at Carnegie Hall (2004), Yes: Live in Amsterdam (2002) and The Cure: Trilogy (2003).

(.....)

Eagle Rock Concerts Available Now on Vongo (original commercial release
date)
Debuting 12/29/2006
Busta Rhymes: Everything Remains Raw (Version 2) (2004)
Elvis Costello and the Imposters: Club Date-Live in Memphis (2005)
Fatboy Slim: At the Big Beach Boutique (2002)
Joni Mitchell: Woman of Heart and Mind (2003)
Little Feat: High Wire Act Live in St. Louis (2003)

Debuting 1/12/2007
The Cure: Trilogy (2003)
Diana Krall: Live in Paris (2002)
An Evening with Peter Green and the Splinter Group: Pt.2 (2003)
Procol Harum: Live at the Union Chapel (2004)
johnfoyle

Re: Club Date - Live In Memphis DVD - Comments

Post by johnfoyle »

The hidden treat here is a 50-minute film of a pleasure trip he and drummer Pete Thomas make down through the Delta a couple of days before the Memphis show to visit old acquaintances in Oxford, Clarksdale and Stovall. The format couldn’t be simpler. Their driver and guide indicates features of interest and the two musicians’ conversation ranges across Muddy Waters, flood prevention, David Porter, the King Biscuit Flour Hour, the mechanics of picking cotton, the FBI, the Bible and the likeli hood of a singer being inspired by an actual tile recovered from the rubble of the studio at Stax.
http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/20 ... ppeningnow

This Sept. '04 trip is remembered -

Keeper of the blues, 'Sunshine' Sonny Payne, keeps the music flowing

By Brown Burnett/Special to The Commercial Appeal

September 2, 2012

Elvis Costello is among the celebrities who have been known to stop by the Delta Cultural Center to visit with
"Sunshine" Sonny Payne.