Top 5 Woody Allen

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

I also enjoy The Front- although its Woody acting, not directing or writing.
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

I forgot - "Midsummer Nights Sex Comedy" - thats one my faves.
echos myron like a siren
with endurance like the liberty bell
and he tells you of the dreamers
but he's cracked up like the road
and he'd like to lift us up, but we're a very heavy load
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

The Front! Such a terrific film and helmed by one of my all time favorite directors, Martin Ritt. It makes me sad that Ritt made so many quality movies (Hud and Norma Rae being pretty high on my list of all time favorite flicks) and was generally regarded as a wonderful human being yet, like Sidney Lumet, he's not really well known outside of people who are a bit on the film geek side. Damn shame.
bobster

Post by bobster »

Once again, El Vez shames me and my claims to film geekdom. I haven't even seen "Norma Rae"!! But, Yes, Ritt was one of the great undersung directors. He found a great middle ground between Italian style neorealism and traditional Hollywood filmmaking that worked magnificently. Haven't seen "The Front" since it came out (but I saw it at least twice that year!)

My personal favorite Ritt film (so far) was based on one of my all time favorite novels, "The Spy Who Came in From the Cold".
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!