New Gig Thread

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
VonOfterdingen

Re: New Gig Thread

Post by VonOfterdingen »

Who Shot Sam? wrote:
bambooneedle wrote:Not if re: Stacks is anything to go by (thanks, WSS).
Maybe he just doesn't come off well live. Or had a bad night. I do really like the album.
Bon Iver did very good, actually. The crowd were way over the top. The band didn't seem to understand what was going on either. It was 45 fine minutes.
I'm not buying my share of souvenirs
VonOfterdingen

Post by VonOfterdingen »

Went to a great Jenny Lewis-concert Tuesday. It was the third time I saw her and the (almost new) band rocked much more than usual. It got raving reviews in the Danish newspapers. 'The Next Messiah' and 'Bad Man’s World' were highlights - the latter had some exceptional drumming.

Tracklist:

Jack Killed Mom
The Charging Sky
Rise Up With Fists!!
Bad Man’s World
Carpetbaggers
You Are What You Love
Melt Your Heart
Highs And Lows
Acid Tongue
The Next Messiah
Sing A Song For Them

Encore:
Love Hurts
Godspeed
See Fernando
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Saw the great Chatham County Line last night at Cat's Cradle. It was my first time, and I will be seeing them any opportunity I get in the future. Four guys, one microphone, and fantastic pickin' and singing. The music is very traditional, but not old-fashioned. I don't even know who to compare them to.

For my friends in Great Britain and Ireland, they are heading your way over the next couple of weeks. Here's a link to their tour page- definitely worth checking out:

http://www.chathamcountyline.com/tour.html
Last edited by pophead2k on Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Nick Lowe and Graham Parker tomorrow night. Can't wait!
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Who Shot Sam? wrote:Nick Lowe and Graham Parker tomorrow night. Can't wait!
Just back from the gig. Great great show. First time I'd ever seen Nick, I'm ashamed to say, and he was superb. Had the audience eating out of the palm of his hand. So many great songs - "Lately I've Let Things Slide"probably the highlight of the set for me (what a heartbreaking song), but he also did an awesome "PLU" and assorted other goodies from all across his career. Such a great way with a song and knowledge about how to deliver a lyric. Fantastic singer to boot.

Graham's set was about 50 minutes and had plenty of nuggets as well. He played a lot of stuff from Howlin' Wind, as that was produced by Lowe. Amazingly, Nick said this is the first time they'd seen each other in 30 years. I was hoping they'd do a song together but it was not to be. Nick said they'd been reminiscing about the good old days backstage.

Here's what I remember (in no particular order).....

Graham's set (may be forgetting one or two):

Heat Treatment
Watch the Moon Come Down
Howlin' Wind
Passion is No Ordinary Word
Don't Ask Me Questions
Ambiguous
Between You and Me
You've Got to Be Kidding
Get Started, Start a Fire
Signed, Sealed, Delivered (cover)
Almost Thanksgiving Day
Pollinate

Nick's set (also missing one or two I think):

I Knew The Bride...
Heart of the City
Cruel to Be Kind
Heart
Lately I've Let Things Slide
Has She Got a Friend?
A Better Man
Long Limbed Girl
I Trained Her to Love Me
All Men Are Liars
People Change
Rome Wasn't Built in a Day
Hope for Us All
When I Write the Book
(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace Love and Understanding
Man That I've Become [also fantastic]
The Beast in Me [last encore]
I Live on a Battlefield
I Read a Lot [new song]
What's Shakin' on the Hill
Soulful Wind
migdd

Post by migdd »

Thanks for the report, wss! Sounds like a great evening. Hope you don't mind, but I'm going to share this with the folks over at GP's website: www.grahamparker.net.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Oasis - Wembley Arena

Liam Gallagher is 20% cool and 80% twat.

Good gig though. They did a lovely pared down version of Don't Look Back In Anger.

Bit lazy with them still ending on I Am The Walrus in my view. There was a mass exodus at that stage and I was one of them!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

DLBIA was the best thing from the Roundhouse Electric Prom. Quite lovely. Liam's singing is getting worse and worse. I used to quite like his voice, now it just sounds weak and ugly.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Otis Westinghouse

Forget Liam, Martha Wainwright is a real star. Second time I've seen her. Much more fun standing at the Junction. Corn Exchange was chilly with a much older, duller audience, but she just sailed on through. Her voice, her songs, her band, her mannerisms, her legs. All are wonderful. Lots of the new LP. A lovely, lovely version of Factory. No Far Away, a sadly, but a very good Stormy Weather, and Dis Quand Reviendras Tu as good as it was the last time, which was the first time I'd heard it and it blew me away. Closed with Cambridge classic See Emily Play. There were moments when her voice totally transfixed you and made you think you would either explode or melt. The song Hearts CLub Band comes across well on her splendis second LP, but comes across even better live. Sundry clips of songs and other bits from the tour here:

http://marthawainwrightjournal.blogspot.com/
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Saw Martha Wainwright on a Leonard Cohen tribute concert on tv. She's got a weird stage presence... goes into this sort of hypnotized state with a little girl voice to the point where she seems completely oblivious to the audience. I'd feel like too much of a voyeur looking at that for long from an audience, but it was effective for delivering the Cohen songs.
Otis Westinghouse

Au contraire, her passion and total involvement in the song is a perfect way to connect with her audience. She's warm and funny and hypnotising to watch. Completely recommended. Her vocal range is astonishing. Wikipedia give a very good description:

'It is her vocal density and versatility which sets her apart from her peers and contemporaries. She has an uncommon vocal ability which allows her to casually leap from a simple sensuality to a longing yodel, then back to a whispering timber; this versatility is heard in her track "Bleeding All Over You". She also displays a dynamic vocal range, which journeys from a guttural lower range ("In the Middle of the Night"), to a deep, powerful and sustainable upper range (heard in the chorus of "Comin' Tonight"). As a result, her vocal versatility has grown throughout the years since the release of her debut album. As a result, she is now able to slide in and out of these varying stylistic degrees, while exuding a newly found air of fearless confidence.'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martha_Wainwright

This month's Mojo has a Cohen special with her doing Tower of Song which they mistakenly claim comes from I Know You're Married... whereas in fact the song there is called 'Tower Song' and is nothing to do with it.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

I'm not saying she's got no connection with the audience, just that she's weird to look at on stage.
Otis Westinghouse

Is 'oblivious to' not implying 'no connection with'? She's certainly incredibly unselfconscious and uninhibited. To me she's an incredibly strong woman, bit like Chrissie Hynde. She projects powerful emotion and presence though a powerful voice. She's clearly very proud of her legs, fully displayed on the new LP cover, and invariably on display in well above the knee dresses on stage. Last night was no exception, black jacket over short dress, which often hitches up against her guitar. She constantly lifts her left leg up and pulls various stances that would make it hard to know where to look if you were in the front row. I was about 10 back and to the left, so it wasn't such a test. She's big and strong with amazing, almost warrior-like features.

Mum Kate McGarrigle was on the piano for much of the show, most memorably on the amazing Barbara song 'Dis Quand Reviendras Tu'. Her cousin Lily was on backing vocals, and Lily's bro' Sylvan also came on for a couple of numbers. And of course Brad Albetta on bass is her hubby. Sadly Rufus and Loudon didn't pop up at any point. It was weird, actually, hearing her sing a FANTASTIC solo rendition of her song to Loudon 'Bloody Mother Fucking Asshole' and then seeing Kate come on stage. There's also a song about being alone in her house and feeling like her dad 'leaving her so sad'. The whole family thing is impossible to escape.

Bamboo: do the right thing and get your ass down to the Enmore Theatre on Nov 12:

http://premier.ticketek.com.au/search/S ... =&city=&d=

After Australia, she tours Canada (Toronto Dec 6) with a detour to the Carnegie Hall on dec 10. Now that is one I would love to go to. Maybe Rufus will pop at that one.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:
After Australia, she tours Canada (Toronto Dec 6) with a detour to the Carnegie Hall on dec 10. Now that is one I would love to go to. Maybe Rufus will pop at that one.
I wonder if that's the annual Christmas show with Rufus et. al. May have to check that out.
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

ReadyToHearTheWorst wrote:I'm rather excited, Richard Thompson has announced a new year UK tour of 1000 Years of Popular Music:
http://www.richardthompson-music.com/ca ... asp?id=971
:D
To keep you going until then heres a mp3 I made of RT doing Who Knows Where The Time Goes last week in Rochester NY

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?dfocykwfjle
Otis Westinghouse

Who Shot Sam? wrote:
Otis Westinghouse wrote:
I wonder if that's the annual Christmas show with Rufus et. al. May have to check that out.
No info on her site or CH's.

Am miffed cos her travel blog skips straight from Brighton on Sunday to soundcheck at London Roundhouse today. Was Cambridge so negligible? They took some photos at least, can't they be posted?
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Am miffed cos her travel blog skips straight from Brighton on Sunday to soundcheck at London Roundhouse today. Was Cambridge so negligible? They took some photos at least, can't they be posted?
She was creeped out by the pervert staring at her legs, so decided not to post. :D
Otis Westinghouse

I was convinced that her husband was checking out who was daring to look up his wife's dress. I swear that those right up front had no option. Some might have been blushing. She has a clear dedication to displaying her magnificent Amazonian pins. I was busy looking at Matt Johnson, excellent drummer who played with Jeff Buckley on Grace and was in the touring band, and saw him last in the same venue with Rufus three years back.
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

Jamie Cullum - Theatre du Chatelet, Paris - 27/10/2008
Excellent. He is such a bundle of joyous energy. Played for over 2 hours, with nods to modern stuff by Tom Waits, Radiohead & Hendrix, alongside 'standards' and a few of his own songs. There was a particularly striking soulful jazzy ballad medley of Singin' in the Rain morphed with (not irritating in this context) Umbrella. Local chanteuse Camille joined for a couple of duets, including a seemingly impromptu I Don't Wanna Grow Up down in the stalls.

BTW - This is an excellent medium sized classical venue, and should be perfect for the upcoming Welcome to the Voice shows (If only there was one on the Saturday night!). However, any quiet bits will be accompanied by underground rumbles, no doubt a problem anywhere in Paris.
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Bamboo: do the right thing and get your ass down to the Enmore Theatre on Nov 12
I wasn't aware that it was a moral dilemma. Don't think I will, I don't find her as sexy as you do. Good venue though, where I saw EC&Is on the WIWC tour.
VonOfterdingen

Post by VonOfterdingen »

Oasis - Falconer Salen, Copenhagen.

Liam Gallagher is 80% cool and 20% twat. :)

Good concert with a good crowd at a rather small venue (3000 people). The Masterplan was a highlight. They even seemed to enjoy playing.
Otis Westinghouse

Fleet Foxes tomorrow! OMG :D
Otis Westinghouse

OMG indeed. Awesome, stunning and mind-blowing. They sound fuller and bigger live. The voices are perfect, Robin Pecknold is clearly a genius and a fantastic lead singer, the laid back banter is nice (they seemed a bit stiff on Later by comparison). I've now seen three remarkably good gigs this year, all three easily in my top 10 for life (Radiohead, Elbow, Fleet Foxes). And there was Lloyd in April and Ron in Dec. Who cares about not seeing Elvis since 2005?

Setlist was all of Sun Giant except Innocent Son and all of the LP except Heard Them Stirring, the least brilliant thing on it, and Meadowlark. And two covers. Something like:

Sun Giant
Sun It Rises
Drops In The River
English House
White Winter Hymnal
Ragged Wood
Your Protector
Crayon Angels (by Judee Sill) [solo]
Oliver James [solo]
Quiet Houses
He Doesn't Know Why
Mykonos
------------------
Karen Dalton song (traditional Scottish song) [solo, unplugged off mic]
Tiger Mountain Peasant Song [solo]
Blue Ridge Mountains

Impossible to pick out a single highlight, there were so many. Oliver James perhaps as it made you hold your breath. I know the LP much better than the EP, excellent though that is, so all the LP tracks were equally awesome. To paraphrase Philip Larkin, it 'fell upon me like an enormous yes'.

Support was Josh Tillman, Fleet Foxes' drummer who has several CDs to his name. Nice voice, witty repartee, songs a little down and samey. The full band plus a female singer who I think is Pecknold's sister joined him at one stage. His very quiet songs were being drowned out by bar noise. No-one seemed to acknowledge the fact that the main act were on stage for the support.

If you don't believe my typical hype, this quote from a friend says it all: 'Best gig I've ever seen, better even than Elbow and Jeff Buckley'. On no account miss... They're playing the Roundhouse twice in Feb. One sold out, second may be now. I'd better not...

John Martyn on Friday, and am excited to find he's touring Grace and Danger in the way he toured Solid Air last year, so I should get to hear one of the most achingly beautiful songs ever, 'Sweet Little Mystery'. Ooh yes.
Otis Westinghouse

John Martyn. Great gig. Second time I've seen him at the Corn Exchange. His between song banter gets more and more surreal, mumbling, putting on deranged voices, laughing madly, and then he launches into the next beautiful song and you're back in a world of beautiful sound. His voice is aging, deeper and growlier than I remember it last time, but it gives a depth and a soul to classics that works very well. His electric and acoustic guitar playing are still phenomenally good, and his jazzy backing band are outstanding.

Setlist:

Cooltide, Some People Are Crazy, Grace And Danger, Lookin' On, Johnny Too Bad, Sweet Little Mystery, Hurt In Your Heart, Baby Please Come Home, Save Some (For Me), Our Love, Easy Blues, Don't Want To Know, May You Never, Solid Air, Rock Salt and Nails, Never Let Me Go.

(from http://www.johnmartyn.com)

So all of Grace and Danger, plus four classics from Solid Air and a few others. the total heartbreak trio of Sweet Little Mystery, Hurt In Your Heart and Baby Please Come Home were just perfect. I'd had enough Guinness to be able to close my eyes and float into the zone, not too much to be losing it.

He's 60 now, only half of his right leg remains, he's huge, breath getting raspier, and you fear he may not be around for that much longer, but his genius is still intact. Totally recommended for anyone who likes his music at all. Here's hoping he chooses to tour One World next.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Got tickets to see Andy Bey at the Jazz Bakery when I'm out in LA next weekend.