New Gig Thread

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
BlueChair

Re: New Gig Thread

Post by BlueChair »

Leonard Cohen was in incredible form, and his band was stunning (thanks in part to the trio of backing vocalists made up of his longtime collaborator Sharon Robinson and the Webb Sisters). More tomorrow... I have an airport taxi picking me up 5 1/2 hours from now.

1. Dance Me To The End Of Love
2. The Future
3. Ain't No Cure For Love
4. Bird On The Wire
5. Everybody Knows
6. In My Secret Life
7. Who By Fire
8. Anthem
- break -
9. Tower Of Song
10. Suzanne
11. Gypsy Wife
12. Boogie Street
13. Hallelujah
14. Democracy
15. I'm Your Man
16. A Thousand Kisses Deep (recitation)
17. Take This Waltz

First Encore:

18. Heart With No Companion
19. Waiting For The Miracle
20. First We Take Manhattan

Second Encore

21. That Don't Make It Junk
22. If It Be Your Will (recitation followed by the "Divine" Webb Sisters)
23. Closing Time

Final Encore

24. I Tried to Leave You
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Brilliant! Not every one of the classics is in there (Famous Blue Raincoat, etc.), but how could they be. But so many great songs. You know I don't think I've heard the original Heart With No Companion, only Ron's. I'm not that well up on Cohen beyond the classics, but this looks great. I bet Ron was there too! Few things beat a really good night out at a gig.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

martinfoyle wrote:Sublime Radiohead show tonight at Malahide tonight. Good mix of old & new, we were treated to a real rainbow in the rain before the show, how cool is that?
Here's a great shot of the rainbows my facebook buddy Markus took

Otis Westinghouse

Rainbows in the plural just like the title. Fabulous!
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

martinfoyle wrote:
martinfoyle wrote:Sublime Radiohead show tonight at Malahide tonight. Good mix of old & new, we were treated to a real rainbow in the rain before the show, how cool is that?
Here's a great shot of the rainbows my facebook buddy Markus took

Very cool. We had an awesome rainbow a few weeks ago at one of my boy's t-ball games. All the kids froze for about 5 minutes and looked up at the rainbow stretching all the way across the sky.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

Seeing the Breeders at Webster Hall tomorrow night...
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

BWAP was in town over the weekend and came over to my local pub to see my mate's band. The X Scene. I think he was suitably impressed with us being able to contribute to the setlist. They played some great stuff - And Your Bird Can Sing, That's Entertainment, Going Underground, Tubestation, London Calling, Substitute, My Generation, Up The Junction, 20 Flight Rock and some other great tracks for people of a certain age :lol: . It was a shame he had to leave before the end to get his train but it was good to see him.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

REM in Raleigh last night. Amazing show. Johnny Marr guested on 'Fall on Me', playing side by side with Pete Buck on matching Richenbacher guitars. Mitch Easter and Don Dixon, producers of the band's earliest albums guested on 'Sitting Still'. Stipe was in perfect voice.

1. Harborcoat
2. Living Well Is the Best Revenge
3. Bad Day
4. What's the Frequency, Kenneth?
5. 1,000,000
6. Man-Sized Wreath
7. Welcome To The Occupation
8. Accelerate
9. 7 Chinese Bros.
10. Hollow Man
11. Imitation Of Life
12. Houston
13. Electrolite
14. Walk Unafraid
15. The One I Love
16. Final Straw
17. Find The River
18. Let Me In
19. Horse to Water
20. Auctioneer
21. Orange Crush
22. I'm Gonna DJ

23. Supernatural Superserious
24. Losing My Religion
25. Pretty Persuation
26. Fall On Me
27. Sitting Still
28. Man On The Moon
Otis Westinghouse

pophead2k wrote:Johnny Marr guested on 'Fall on Me', playing side by side with Pete Buck on matching Richenbacher guitars.
Guitartastic! One of my fave REM songs, must have been mind-blowingly wonderful.

I see - Modest Mouse support. There are a few recent shows on Dime, but not this one yet.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

This treat is mere hours away - shaken or stirred I'll tell all later -

http://www.nch.ie/Box-Office/Performanc ... &time=2000

RTÉ National Symphony Orchestra: The Film Music of John Barry with special guest John Barry
20 June 2008 08:00 PM - Main Auditorium
RTÉ National Symphony Orchestra ▪ Nicholas Dodd, conductor ▪ Aedín Gormley, presenter ▪ John Barry, special guest
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Truly shaken and very stirred , I'm just in from this. As you can see all the Barry classics were played. After nearly thirty years of listening to these fabulous tunes I'm pinching myself to see if it's all been a dream. Have I really just wallowed in the sonic blast that was live version of Space March ( from You Only Live Twice)? And was that really John Barry himself who conducted the first two numbers? And then he actually sat, until the interval, in the row in front of my second row balcony seat.

Barry's Bond soundtracks were among the first things I bought when I started to earn a wage in the 1980's. Back then they cost a small fortune, mostly via want ads. in Record Collector. The long wait between placing the ad., it appearing, the responses , responding to the responses, sending money , waiting for the vinyl ( hoping it was properly packaged).......internet users theses days just don't know they are born.

The sheer wallop the live versions pack is stunning. Between his characteristic brass refrains and the swirling strings it was like hearing them for the first time. The programme never let up. Octopussy's All Time High was , maybe, the weakest number . Besides 'March , the Body Heat piece was especially appropriate, the steamy saxaphone solo really resonating in the packed, charged atmosphere of the 'sold out ' venue. The Bond Suite had a very welcome dollop of the OHMMSS score , one of Barry's finest.

Coming away the talk was of left out pieces , a endless list considering Barry's output. My CD player being out of action at the moment I played a lot of Barry vinyl this past week , the first time in ages, this century for certain. A highlight was the 14-minute guitar concerto, Romance for Guitar and Orchestra, from Deadfall ( 1968, awful film, great soundtrack) . Now that would have been nice......maybe next time !

http://www.moviegrooves.com/shop/deadfall.htm
Otis Westinghouse

Sounds sensational!

I went to a free event, Lottery funded, at the Corn Exchange last night, chiefly because a friend was headlining. She is Israeli, and leads a band of amazing musicians playing an amazing mix of Klezmer and other styles:

'Daphna Sadeh and The Voyagers produce a distinctive style of music that crosses the boundaries of Mediterranean Sephardic, Arabic with Jewish, Jazz with tradition, and Jewish with Eastern European Ashkenazi. Spice this up with the rhythmic excitement of the Klezmer groove and you'll hear a truly amazing sound.'

I'd never seen her perform before and it was remarkably good. Guest singer was a Kurdish man who opened the show with a very powerful solo piece. You can hear him and them on the first track on this:

http://www.myspace.com/daphnasadeh
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Me hanging at the Pollini show in Vienna a few weeks ago-

Otis Westinghouse

Radiohead, Victoria Park, East London - site of legendary Clash '78 Rock Against Racism performance, as shown in Rude Boy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9eLeZS9OeY
and of course Elvis at the second carnival held there:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/hi/p ... html/4.stm

My first time seeing the 'Head. Expensive and a lot of work, especially getting home at 2.00 am after, but entirely worth it. Fabulous setlist:

1. Reckoner
2. 15 Step
3. There There
4. All I Need
5. Lucky
6. Nude
7. Weird Fishes/Arpeggi
8. Myxomatosis
9. National Anthem
10. Faust Arp
11. No Surprises
12. Jigsaw Falling Into Place
13. Optimistic
14. Videotape
15. Everything In Its Right Place
16. Idioteque
17. Bodysnatchers

18. House of Cards
19. The Bends
20. Bangers and Mash
21. My Iron Lung
22. Karma Police
23. Go Slowly
24. 2+2=5
25. Paranoid Android

All of In Rainbows, which all worked beautifully live. A lovely selection of classics, and fulfilment of my hopes (apart from the omission of Let Down, Street Spirit, Fake Pla... OK, a few) with the closing song.

They changed the set quite a lot from the previous night, with the Bends/OK Comp classics leaving me very happy I went on the second night, especially as accounts indicate a better atmosphere all round on Wed. Here's the Tues list and all from the European leg:
http://phishcoventry.blogspot.com/2008/ ... -park.html

Incredibly good, clear sound for an open air gig. Very detailed and precise. Would have liked to have heard Colin Greenwood more definitely, but loved the unloudness and clarity of it all generally.

Wonderful, energy-saving LED light bars used to great effect throughout:

This selection shows the range of colours and effects very nicely:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ollyog/

Lots of dancing and happiness, quite a teenage audience (they may be in their 30s now, but RH have never lost any of their cool), lots of spliff in the air and some very over-stoned kids. Rather too much noise and talking in the quiet ones from people more intent on partying and photographing than listening to the brilliance, had to block it out, and some awful singing nearly ruined Karma Police.

Jonny Greenwood was amazing to watch, as expected. Endless sonic marvels, constantly moving and switching. Perfect renditions of those classic guitar moments, especially the fab Paranoid A solo, and also There There. Thom's dancing is wonderful to see - Idioteque especially. These last two songs were highlights.

A fantastic and unforgettable night out. Thanks for the encouragement/inspiration to snag late tickets and get down there!

And today I picked up my ticket for Elbow at the Cambridge Corn Exchange in October!
Otis Westinghouse

Flickr and YouTube are stuffed with items from the gig. YouTube seems to either be an OK image with crap sound or vice versa. Here's an example of the latter, the very dreamy and lovely new one Go Slowly, with a quip before about being able to hear it at home if you have a computer! It also demonstrates the 'making noise in quiet songs' factor.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

I'm envious. The only gig they scheduled in NY was a festival, and I'm too old for that shit. I will see them someday (I hope).
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Emotional Toothpaste

Post by Emotional Toothpaste »

OUTSTANDING show last night at the Fox here in St. Louis from Tom Waits.

Lucinda
Way Down In The Hole
Falling Down
Black Market Baby
All The World Is Green
Hi Ho
Get Behind The Mule
Day After Tomorrow
Cemetery Polka
Hang Down Your Head
A Little Rain
Lucky Day
Johnsburg, IL
Lost In The Harbour
Make It Rain
Lie To Me
On The Other Side Of The World
Singapore
Dirt In The Ground
What's He Building?
16 Shells
Rain Dogs

Goin' Out West
Anywhere I Lay My Head
Innocent When You Dream
Otis Westinghouse

Wow, that is fantastic. As a huge Rain Dogs fan, I couldn't ask for more than the title track, Singapore, Anywhere I Lay My Head and my favourite Waits song Hang Down YOur Head (which he doesn't seem to have played at other shows on the tour, those on Dime at least). Wonder if a recording if this one will surface soon. Quite likely.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Sounds like a great set, ET!
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

Lyle Lovett and his Large Band last night at the Cape Cod Melody Tent in Hyanis. And he's not kidding about it being a large band - 11 musicians on stage (two guitars, steel guitar, double bass, fiddle, cello, madolin, percussionist, drums, piano) and then three main backup singers and then a nine person choir (God's Generation). They played a bunch of the "hits" - Church, I've Been to Memphis, Private Conversation, That's Right Your Not From Texas, If I Had a Boat, Long Tall Texan, Nothing But A Good Ride, This Old Porch etc....no opening act and he played for 2 1/2 hours - great summer night.
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

I'm heading of to see Neil Young doing an open air show at Malahide castle ( same venue as recent Radiohead shows) , tonight here in Dublin. The weather is alternating between sunshine and downpours so I may be in a rough state later.........
migdd

Post by migdd »

Just booked seats to see Graham Parker (solo) at the Visulite Theatre in Charlotte on November 6. It's rare that GP plays outside the northeastern US so this will be a real treat.

http://www.maxxmusic.com/concerts/parker.htm
Otis Westinghouse

johnfoyle wrote:I'm heading of to see Neil Young doing an open air show at Malahide castle ( same venue as recent Radiohead shows) , tonight here in Dublin. The weather is alternating between sunshine and downpours so I may be in a rough state later.........
Good luck! Wow, you're having a gigtastic time of it. Young is playing some farm festival thing in Kent next weekend, though I'll be away. The combo of Radiohead and Young in one month would be sublime. Been loving Zuma on CD of late.
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

Friday nite I enjoyed Julianna Hatfield, The Watson Twins, & The Old 97s at the WYEP Summer Concert. It was a nice outdoor event and lots of families and their young children sprawled out on the grounds. It was a sedate crowd and Julianna seemed kinda peeved that she wasn't getting as much response as she was. She was on her guitar and was accompinied by keyboards. The Watson Twins came out with a full band and put on a 45 min show. 97s were good, but I had to work the next day so I left 4 songs into their set.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Neil 'n co. slammed out a powerhouse of a show . Two hours , no rain - great! He is a bit less active than I remember from previous shows ( c.10 years since I've seen him) but thats understandable.

Setlist ( that I can remember)

Mr. Soul
I've Been Waiting For You
Cinnamon Girl
Spirit Road
Love And Only Love
Hey Hey, My My
Too Far Gone
Oh, Lonesome Me
Mother Earth
The Needle And The Damage Done
Old Man
Get Back To The Country
Words
No Hidden Path ( from Chrome Dreams II ; about half an hour long and not a wasted minute)

encore

A Day In The Life ( Yes, the Beatles song ; great guitar distortion etc.)