Elvis Does Vegas Tonight

Pretty self-explanatory
chickendinna

Elvis Does Vegas Tonight

Post by chickendinna »

Can't Wait.TDM is one my recent fave Elvis pieces.Plus the shows I've heard from this tour are pretty blistering.The Hard Rock is a good place to see a show.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.lasvegassun.com/sunbin/stori ... 05672.html

Costello rides tide of raves, nominations to Las Vegas

By Spencer Patterson
<spencer@lasvegassun.com>
LAS VEGAS SUN

Can Elvis Costello deliver another five-star performance?

Last time he played The Joint at the Hard Rock Hotel, in July 2003, the British rocker earned that perfect review grade from the Las Vegas Sun.

He returns to the venue tonight, armed with another critically acclaimed album, "The Delivery Man."

That September release, hailed by many as Costello's best disc since the 1980s, generated Grammy nominations for Best Rock Album and Best Rock Performance by a Duo or Group With Vocal.

Costello also earned Grammy nominations for two tracks from movie soundtracks: "Let's Misbehave" from "De-Lovely" and "The Scarlet Tide," a song co-written by Costello and performed by his wife, bluegrass musician Alison Krauss, in "Cold Mountain."

Costello is also preparing to release a live DVD, "Club Date: Live in Memphis," on April 19.

The concert recording, culled from a 2004 show, features Costello and his three-piece band, the Imposters, along with country vocalist Emmylou Harris, who guested with the group on three numbers.

Serious Costello fans might also be interested in an expanded edition of "The Delivery Man" issued March 1. The new version includes video footage and a bonus disc of unreleased studio sessions.

Alt-country singer-songwriter Tift Merritt, a Texas native who grew up in North Carolina, opens tonight's show.

Who: Elvis Costello & The Imposters.

Where: The Joint at the Hard Rock Hotel.

When: 7 tonight (doors).

Tickets: $40, $65, $75.

Call: 693-5000.

Opening act: Tift Merritt.

Personnel: Elvis Costello (vocals, guitar), Steve Nieve (keyboards), Davey Faragher (bass), Pete Thomas (drums).

Latest release: "The Delivery Man" (2004, Lost Highway).

Album feedback:
"The record wound up not as a concept album, but as a conceptual album, one that is inspired by the South ... The story of 'The Delivery Man' may have faded away, but working within its framework has inspired Costello to craft his most consistent, unified rock & roll record in many, many years." (All Music Guide, four stars out of five); "Not that Costello has made an album of Delta blues or Sun Studio rockabilly: 'The Delivery Man' is his idea of Southern music, a blend of pedal steel-drenched country and 'Dusty in Memphis' professionalism. But it sounds best when it's at its most casual." (6.8 out of 10).

Essential releases: "My Aim Is True" (1977), "This Year's Model" (1978), "Armed Forces" (1979), "Get Happy!!" (1980), "Trust" (1981), "Imperial Bedroom" (1982).

What to expect: An emphasis on material from "The Delivery Man," though Costello typically does a fine job plucking gems from his catalog. If recent shows are an indication, he could play virtually anything from his 21 studio albums.

Recent set list: Fillmore Auditorium, Denver, Saturday: "Big Tears," "Uncomplicated," "Lipstick Vogue," "Radio Radio," "Country Darkness," "Needle Time," "Hidden Shame," "Blame it on Cain," "Either Side of the Same Town," "(I Don't Want to Go to) Chelsea," "Clubland," "Our Little Angel," "Tonight the Bottle Let Me Down," "Kinder Murder," "When I Was Cruel No. 2," "Watching the Detectives," "The Delivery Man," "Monkey to Man," "Button My Lip," "Mystery Dance," "Why Don't You Love Me (Like You Used to)?" "There's a Story in Your Voice," "Pump it Up," "Mystery Train," "Alison" / "Suspicious Minds," "Hurry Down Doomsday," "(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love & Understanding?" "The Scarlet Tide." (from fan site http://www.elviscostello.info).

Tour feedback: "Throughout the night, he paired that voice with extended guitar workouts that never would have come from him in the early years. Costello has apparently tapped his inner Guitar God, and rambunctious solos popped up regularly throughout the show." (Salt Lake Tribune, Salt Lake City, Utah); "Too often, Costello and his band, the Imposters, stuck close to the recorded versions, not stretching things out or messing with arrangements." (Star-Telegram, Ft. Worth, Texas).

Previous Las Vegas appearances: May 29, 1999 (The Joint); May 24, 2002 (The Joint); July 18, 2003 (The Joint).

Says Costello: "I have been over-praised at times and underrated at others. I've been through that cycle about 15 times, so I don't lose a lot of sleep." (The Times, England, February).
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Costello also earned Grammy nominations for two tracks from movie soundtracks: "Let's Misbehave" from "De-Lovely" and "The Scarlet Tide," a song co-written by Costello and performed by his wife, bluegrass musician Alison Krauss, in "Cold Mountain."
Again, someone not doing their homework. . . . . . .

I'm beginning to think a lot of these reviews are being done by idiots. :?
elvicos01

Post by elvicos01 »

Where's the setlist?

Are we still at the gaming tables?
Why are we racing to be so old?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Drew writes to listserv -

I enjoyed Vegas quite a lot, but in hindsight it pales in comparison to
last
night's Wiltern show.

However, Vegas also had a terrific opening set by Tift Merritt (who
kept
asking for a current Tar Heels score), who was absolutely unassuming
and
adorable when she came to chat and sign at the merchandise table after
her
set.

When Elvis came out, he mentioned his "dental emergency" before they
started, saying that "we hope we can do a good show for you".
Although not
the epic that was the Wiltern, it was quite a cool set nonetheless
(this is
pasted verbatim from my Blackberry...no corrections, grammatical or
otherwise):

Angels want to wear
everyday I write the Book
Uncomplicated
Party girl
Radio radio
Country darkness
Needle time
Chelsea
Honey are you straight
Clubland
Our little angel
Tonight the bottle let me down
Kinder murder
watching the Detectives
Delivery man
Monkey to man
Mystery dance
Why don't you love me like you used to
Pump it up
Heart of the city
PLU
Alison
Scarlet tide

The inclusion of "Party GIrl" always makes a show more enjoyable for
me...a
couple of yahoos behind me and to my left kept screaming their heads
off
between songs until EC told them to "shut the F*** up), which kept
things
quiet until they acted up again during "Scarlet Tide"...as far as the
setlist goes, a few too many warhorses IMO, but I was still quite happy
to
have made the trip.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

STEVE MARCUS / LAS VEGAS SUN
BRITISH rocker Elvis Costello tries to hear a question from the audience at The Joint at the Hard Rock Hotel, where he was performing on Friday.

http://www.lasvegassun.com/sunbin/stori ... 13516.html

March 28, 2005

Costello shows bite after surgery

By Spencer Patterson
<spencer@lasvegassun.com>
LAS VEGAS SUN

When: Friday.

Where: The Joint at the Hard Rock Hotel.

Rating (out of 5 stars): ****

Novocaine couldn't dull Elvis Costello's impact Friday night.

Hours after undergoing unplanned oral surgery, the British rock legend kept his date at The Joint at the Hard Rock Hotel with his three-piece band, the Imposters.

"As you can see, I've got a little bit of a dental emergency, and my face is all swollen up," Costello said upon arriving onstage promptly at 9 p.m., patting the left side of his jaw. "So I hope I'll be able to sing for you tonight."

Those words generated a worried murmur in the crowd of 1,350, but that concern soon proved needless. Costello's voice sounded as strong as ever as the 50-year-old headliner blazed through a 90-minute set heavy with hits and fan favorites.

Costello opened with a series of five classics, including 1978 single "Radio Radio," a rousing rendition of "Uncomplicated" from 1986's "Blood & Chocolate" and "Party Girl," a surprise cut from 1979's "Armed Forces."

After pausing briefly to quip, "Excuse me if I can't smile too much," Costello sank into some material from his latest album, last year's excellent "The Delivery Man."

Where new tunes from many veteran artists come off as space fillers, Costello's recent work actually highlighted a concert filled with memorable moments.

Poppy single "Monkey to Man" got the crowd singing along. The bluesy "Needle Time" featured keyboardist Steve Nieve, bassist Davey Faragher and drummer Pete Thomas expertly shifting tempos. And loping ballad "Country Darkness" demonstrated the richness of Costello's vocal delivery, numb jaw and all.

The album's anthemic title track also hit home, particularly its haunting refrain, "In a certain light, he looked like Elvis / In a certain way, he seemed like Jesus."

Costello made another allusion to his Elvis namesake later in the set, seguing from his beloved ballad "Alison" into a short, sleepy excerpt from "Suspicious Minds."

If his experience at the dentist made him drowsy, Costello didn't show it. Dressed in a crisp, black suit, he stood confidently at the microphone, eyes dancing behind rose-colored glasses as he sang.

The native of Liverpool, England, also produced several captivating guitar solos, most notably a muted, low-toned piece during "Clubland."

The animated Costello even delivered a revved-up take on Nick Lowe's "Heart of the City," easily the most unexpected song of the night.

The crowd sang the words to "Watching the Detectives" and "Alison," rose for roller-rink staple "Pump It Up" and cheered through "(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding."

Most of the night, though, the room was remarkably sedate, with fans keeping to their seats as the quartet rocked furiously before them.

Perhaps, a more consistently energetic response could have prevented Costello from cutting his set short. Most shows on his West Coast swing have featured 28-35 songs; he played 23 on Friday.

At the very least, a more appreciative crowd might have coaxed the band back to the stage for at least one encore. Last time at the Joint, in July 2003, Costello and his mates returned to the stage three times.

Ultimately, though, Costello should be commended for even showing up. Few artists wouldn't have canceled under such circumstances, and fewer still would have produced such glorious results.