what other artists are you obsessed with

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Tim(e)

Post by Tim(e) »

Already listed my musical obsessions... however, since film has also been raised:

Akira Kurosawa
Jim Jarmusch
Hayao Miyazaki
Martin Scorsese
Tim Burton
Coen Brothers
Jean-Pierre Jeunet
Itami Juzoh
Zhang Yimou
Just about anything involving Ray Harryhausen
VonOfterdingen

Post by VonOfterdingen »

Prince
Stone Roses
My Morning Jacket
Bruce Springsteen
Rolling Stones
and ... Oasis
I'm not buying my share of souvenirs
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

I believe that there are people who are prone to obsession with things and there are people who merely like things very much. Obsession is a personality trait. Personally, I am not obsessed by anything. I like Elvis very much, but if I was told I could never listen to him again I would get past it. I like listening to music very much, every genre of music, but if I was told I could not listen to music anymore I believe I could structure my life differently so that absense of music would be bearable.

I do own more EC cds than any other artist in my collection followed by XTC.

OBSESSION: a persistant disturbing preoccupation with an idea or a feeling: also: an emotion or idea causing such a preoccupation
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

To bamboo: I have most of the Beatles and a lot of the Stones but I'm not completist. I will probably buy the three Beatles albums I'm missing some day (Meet the Beatles for sure, perhaps Yellow Submarine and Let It Be), but as with Bowie, I'll try to forget the Stones' eighties. With many other bands I have all the records but don't really care about as much as those I listed (eg. Nick Cave, the Smiths, Beck, the Walkabouts, the Wallflowers, lots of old metal...). And then there's Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, Frank Sinatra, etc. who I love but don't have the money or time to be completist about.
What this world needs is more silly men.
crash8_durham

Post by crash8_durham »

El Vez wrote:
crash8_durham wrote: and Vez has me hooked on Steve Forbert.
Dude, you're totally welcome! Have you picked up any other Forbert albums after Mission of The Crossroad Palms?
No, so far I have been living off the songs you sent me. I really should go get some more. I haven't bought a cd for a long time. I have been on these music site where I post my stuff and have been trading cds with a bunch of other anonomous people. It would be hard to find any Forbert work in this dinky Mayberry like town. Next time I get out into the world I will have to look a little harder.

By the way, I still love and have shared the Dan Reeder cd with a number of friends. Thanks for that one too.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

KH- just wondered if they might have been somewhere among the others or if you just didn't care for them.

Being a completist of anyone with a huge catalogue must be a drag... I like to allow for that surprise acquisition anyway.
SweetPear

Post by SweetPear »

ice nine wrote: OBSESSION: a persistant disturbing preoccupation with an idea or a feeling: also: an emotion or idea causing such a preoccupation
Well then, I believe OBSESSED is not the correct word to describe how I feel about Elvis. How about ENTHRALLED?

ENTHRALL: to hold spellbound; to charm.

I like that much better. It has a happier connotation as opposed to OBSESSED, don't you think?
I'm not angry anymore....
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

I have the obsessive gene from my father (though I'm not a patch on him!), but I tend not to be completist, or rather I can train myself not to be. People I have pretty much everything by and will buy anything new by:

Bowie
EC
Joy Division
New Order
Ron Sexsmith
Lloyd Cole

People of whom I would like to have the complete body of work right now:

The Fall
Dylan

Both are very unlikely to happen.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Tier One (no particular order):

Elvis Costello
The Beatles
Bob Dylan

Tier Two (no particular order):

The Band
Alfred Hitchcock
Joel and Ethan Coen
Paul Auster
David Bowie
The Kinks
Tom Waits
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
clairequilty

Post by clairequilty »

Elliott Smith

By far my favorite artist ever.

Passing The Beatles, Dylan, and Elvis.

If any new artist can ever shake me off of Elliott, fuck it, it will NEVER happen.
HolyCoatAndHat

Post by HolyCoatAndHat »

Besides Elvis:

Warren Zevon
John Hiatt
Squeeze
Over the Rhine
XTC (But I need to fill in a lot of stuff that is on LPs)

I have seen all of these live except XTC. Do they tour at all? I would love to see a Dukes of Stratosphere reunion album and tour....
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

Dylan
Lucinda Williams
Kelly Willis
The Fall
The Buzzcocks
Bob Mould
Jimmie Dale Gilmore / Joe Ely / Butch Hancock
Humphry Bogart
Raymond Chandler
Richard Yates
Van Gough
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
mimimartini

I agree

Post by mimimartini »

SweetPear wrote:
ice nine wrote: OBSESSION: a persistant disturbing preoccupation with an idea or a feeling: also: an emotion or idea causing such a preoccupation
Well then, I believe OBSESSED is not the correct word to describe how I feel about Elvis. How about ENTHRALLED?

ENTHRALL: to hold spellbound; to charm.

I like that much better. It has a happier connotation as opposed to OBSESSED, don't you think?
This is a much better way for me to describe what my musical likes are also. These are the bands (bedside EC) that I can listen to over and over forever and not get tired of them.

In no order.....
The Style Council
The Jam
The Beatles
Elliott Smith
The Cramps
Stevie Ray Vaughan
The Smiths
Morrissey
Duran Duran
Cocteau Twins
Kate Bush
Stevie Wonder
Patsy Cline
Aretha Franklin
Split Enz
Neil Finn
Talk Talk
Sade

I'll stop there because I could go on and on......

Where have you all been all my life? You all have the best taste in music ever!
I love it!
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

Warren Zevon
The Who
Peter Case
Led Zep
Grateful Dead
Bob Weir
Neville Bros.
I'd never leave the house if I had a Gimp