Hammersmith

Pretty self-explanatory
so lacklustre

Hammersmith

Post by so lacklustre »

Good gig. Played from 8.10 till 10.30 in one set, no encores. Good to meet Jackson, mug, drJ for the first time and to see bwap, otis vg and vg's mate again.

EC was in a good mood and sang Almost Blue sitting on the edge of the stage, which was fun. No real surprises apart from Temptation. I thought the sound was slightly dodgy for the first half hour or so but after that it was very good.

He mentioned the 'news' about the wedding and went into Kinder Murder. Killer version of I Want You and most of the DM tracks were the highlights for me.
signed with love and vicious kisses
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

Mary, on the eclistserv, posted this setlist.

1. Blue Chair
2. Uncomplicated (interpolating Shotgun)
3. She's Pulling Out The Pin
4. Temptation
5. Sulky Girl
6. Radio Radio
7. Button My Lip
8. Country Darkness
9. Blame It On Cain
10.Either Side of the Same Town
11.Chelsea
12.Heart-Shaped Bruise
13.Suit of Lights
14.Good Year for the Roses
15.Kinder Murder
16.In the Darkest Place
17.You Turned to Me
18.When I Was Cruel
19.Watching the detectives
20.The Delivery man
21.Monkey To Man
22.Hidden Charms (sang into guitar pick-ups)
23.Alison (interpolating Suspicious Minds which he sang on his knees)
24.Almost Blue
25.The Monkey
26.Pump It Up
27.Ivy
28.There's A Story
29.Shipbuilding
30.Bedlam
31.What's So Funny About Peace Love and Understanding
32.I Want You
33.Scarlet Tide (2nd verse off-mic)

33 songs, 2 1/2 hours, no stopping.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

It was fabulous. The lager and tequila made sure this was a night to relish. I have photos, and will post (technological shortcomings permitting!). Amazing that they just kept on aand didn't leave the stage. To me this seemed a slightly mellower 'I'm in my 50s now' Elvis than when he last played with venue with the I's (Sept '03), and with maybe less bite to some of it, which is all fine, and the band sounded great and tight and the whole thing was just massively high quality. I was right up front left, and enjoyed things like actually hearing Pete tapping time on his trousers during I Want You! This is the closest I've been since Guernsey in 1980, I think, and I loved being able to watch Pete in close detail.

What Shotgun was interpolated in Uncomplicated? I missed that. Great setlist. No Riot Act, but thrillingly varied otherwise.

Looking forward to comparing it with a somewhat soberer night in Norwich in 3 months.

I didn't lose my bike this time, but I did manage to lose a 32mb camera card that had all my family Christmas shots on and which I hadn't got round to downloading to the computer. That'll teach me. I even ran back to the pub after the gig to look, as well as scrabbling around on the floor at the venue, and so missed the train I was after. Never mind, not important next to the excitement of the evening.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

I thought that it was interesting that he altered the lyric on Country Darkness. He changed "forbidden sins" to "something else sins" - I think it was "inviting". Maybe our man has been reading the critcism on this board!
corruptio optimi pessima
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

More, More, More!

Otis, post pics!!
DrJ

Post by DrJ »

Damn good gig, one of the best, I think. I was one of the few who broke from the ranks at the back to get down the front. So happy to hear Suit of Lights after a 15 year wait and the best I Want You I've ever seen, plus found Good Year very affecting. I was amazed at how quiet the crowd were and EC did seem to warm to that a lot, he was in a very happy mood.

And it was great to meet everyone. Sorry about your card Otis, that sucks.

DrJ
Tlentifini Maarhaysu
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Sounds like a great gig. Can't wait to see him in April in NYC, though I doubt the Beacon show will run 2 1/2 house w/o intermission!
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

Not much for me to add - great meeting Mug, Jackson and Dr J (who looks a little young to be a Dr.) and nice to see Verbal, Otis and SLL again - Gilli - where the hell were you? - as for the show - I thought the sound was great - and EC was on wonderful voice, the only negaitive I can pull out was he didn't play "Our Little Angel" - next time.
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
Danny

Post by Danny »

Dr J, I was thrilled too when he started Suit Of Lights, which I love - but alas he did that thing where he changed the melody of the incredibly melodic chorus, changing the effect - I wish he'd stuck to the melody on the record.

Highlights for me were the ballads - my favourite, I think, was Scarlet Tide at the end: really gorgeous - and Shipbuilding blew me away! How could he sing that immediately after Story In Your Voice, and still retain the gentle phrasing???? Such a great singer! Also, I've always loved "You Turned To Me", so it was great to hear that in a rock band arrangement.

Blue Chair and Uncomplicated were great, though I always think Pump It Up and Chelsea don't work in concert: they're such tight, prickly numbers on record, with tight, prickly arrangements, that storming live versions seem to flatten them out a bit.

What about that weird bit where he was singing into his guitar?!

I loved the sparkly shoes an' all!
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Have to say more....

a really great Elvis show...right up there with the best of me. Much,much, much better than the WIWC gig at the Astoria. The playing and the voice were almost faultless. He appeared to be very happy and mellow. Highlights for me:

A superb Suit of Lights

WIWC no 2 without all the special effects jiggery pokery nonsense - just marvelous.

In the Darkest Place - He strains a little too much for me on record...not last night. A perfect rendition.

Alison/Suspicious Minds - Elvis does Elvis better than anyone else.

Almost Blue - you could hear a pin drop.

Heart Shaped Bruise - even Gilli would have been converted.

but the unexpected highlight of the night for me was............

SCARLET TIDE!!! I would never have thought it, but it was the perfect end to a perfect night. Just wish I could have stayed to say cheerio to the other lovely board folks....needed to run for the train that I missed anyway!
corruptio optimi pessima
Otis Westinghouse

For some reason, Scarlet Tide didn't really do it for me. though I liked the idea of it as a closer. In The Darkest Place followed by You Turned To Me was mind-blowing. He did indeed seem very happy, none of the mistrust from the North tour. Hidden Charms was great fun in itself, and the $150 guitar with the price tag a larf (and I loved the guitarathon aspect to the gig, lots of exercise for guitar assistant!), but it was just hilarious to see him sing into it.

I had 4 free seats next to me. And several others nearby. Absurd. EC quipped about ripping the seats out, but doesn't the artist have a say in this? Lloyd Cole was standing only, much better.

I think EC's biggest fan was in front of me. I think he was singing every word to every song, and getting very excited. He got a few of us on our feet for Chelsea. It wasn't you was it, Danny? Or were you the person next to me who told me of for asking my wife if she could hear Good Year For The Roses clearly on the mobile?!? Would be nice to see you in the pub next time too - let's build the London area posse!

Spooky: give me the weekend to sort out the photo thing. I'm an uncofident novice. Will turn to you if I get stuck!
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

sang Almost Blue sitting on the edge of the stage
I really hope you got a picture of that!
Like me, the "g" is silent.
King Teddy Wogan

Post by King Teddy Wogan »

I was there ladt night too, right at the front, straight ahead of his PA. He gave me and my friend casual glances, which was cool!
Now Chief Teddy Wogan.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Quite possibly the best birthday I ever had... amazing company, amazing show, amazing high from the combination of the two. Can't write much now as 'net access is pay-as-I-go, but thank you, thank you thank you, to all you guys, and yeah I suppose that includes Elvis too!!

HappyMug
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Yeah for you, Mug. You deserve much happiness.

Otis, I was a bit under the influence last night when I eagerly demanded more pics, and just noticed that you had mentioned losing a memory card. So sorry about that. I forget to unload mine sometimes, too. Hope you got some good ones of Elvis though.

Let me know if you need any help, Otis.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

BWAP Wrote:
and Dr J (who looks a little young to be a Dr.)
It's just you getting old BWAP!!
signed with love and vicious kisses
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

selfmademug wrote:Quite possibly the best birthday I ever had... amazing company, amazing show, amazing high from the combination of the two. Can't write much now as 'net access is pay-as-I-go, but thank you, thank you thank you, to all you guys, and yeah I suppose that includes Elvis too!!

HappyMug
No....thank you Ms Mug...for your kind gifts, but mostly your all too brief company. Next time it's your country!
corruptio optimi pessima
Otis Westinghouse

spooky girlfriend wrote:Just noticed that you had mentioned losing a memory card. So sorry about that. I forget to unload mine sometimes, too. Hope you got some good ones of Elvis though.
Thanks. It took me from Sept (when I got the camera) to Jan to get as far as putting any of them one the computer, and even then I only put the Sept-dec ones from a 256 card on it, and not the smaller number from Christmas. Sad thing is, it's the first time in 12 years as a parent that I won't have photos of my kids opening prezzies. but there's a chance in a million that the Hammy Ap might have it in lost property. Am phoning in the morning!
Otis Westinghouse

(... they're not open for calls on Saturday!)

How come EC wants to play something throwaway like The Monkey when he could be unleashing the blistering power of Needle Time or The Name Of This Thing Is Not Love? Would have loved to see both of these. Especially the latter. Happy with the omission of The Judgement, which he played in the same venue Sept '02 anyway!

Mugster: was She's Pulling Out The Pin new to you?
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Good point oh wise Otis.

I was listening to TDM on the way to the mighty Spurs today and was wondering why he didn't do Needle Time towards the end....great rocker!
corruptio optimi pessima
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.elviscostello.info/articles/ ... 050211.php

Review of concert from 2005-02-10: London, Hammersmith Apollo (Carling Apollo) - with the Imposters

Evening Standard, 2005-02-11
David Smyth

Costello's Aim Is Still True
Hammersmith Apollo

David Smyth

ELVIS Costello, like many venerable artists, has had to learn to accept that the songs he wrote 25 years ago are the ones everyone wants to hear most. Bravely, he has never looked back, keeping moving and broadening the scope of his creativity as he gets older. Having turned 50 last year, he has lately achieved hit albums in both the jazz and classical charts, and announced last month that his next project will be an opera about Hans Christian Andersen. He has not forgotten his less high-minded fans, however, and plenty of last night's set was drawn from his more accessible, latest long-player, The Delivery Man. It has its roots in country but also frequently references the wiry rock sound of his youth.

Neither of the album's two collaborators, Lucinda Williams and Emmylou Harris, were able to make it out, apparently because "the Network SouthEast train was late this evening", but the bleak duets Heart Shaped Bruise and Scarlet Tide were still touching sung alone. Costello seemed particularly to enjoy his lively new song Monkey to Man, trying and failing to start a singalong among a disappointingly passive crowd. The classics he penned as a young man were still dotted around, but did not dominate.

Blame It On Cain, Radio, Radio and Watching the Detectives all made welcome appearances. A soulful Alison was augmented with a bit of Elvis doing Elvis, when it morphed into Suspicious Minds halfway through. His voice has retained the old sneer, but there was also a power and richness there that he was happy to show off on smoky slow ones such as the Burt Bacharach collaboration In the Darkest Place, which saw him walking away from the microphone and letting his singing fill the venue unamplified.

It is doubtful whether his forthcoming opera will provide any moments as universally stirring as Shipbuilding did here. But if these diversions keep music sounding fresh to Costello, everyone will be happy
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

'Costello's Aim Is Still True ' :x :x :x :x :x :x :x
corruptio optimi pessima
Otis Westinghouse

Never heard that one before, eh?

It's obvious but perfect that Blame It On Cain should be in the setlist on this tour. I really enjoyed hearing it.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

(Scanned from print edition ; not on website)

Black-suited man of parts

Paul Morley

The Sunday Telegraph ( London) , Feb.13 '05

It’s not easy trying to explain Elvis Costello to someone
born after, say, his 1977 debut album My Aim is True, or Get Happy (1980), or Blood and Chocolate (1986)— his three finest albums, give or take Imperial Bedroom (1982), Brutal Youth (1994) or even The Delivery Man (2004), all rich collections of songs that make it clear it’s not easy being Elvis Costello. For someone who essentially makes melodramatic post-Presley beat music he seems to think far too much.

What is he? A 50-year-old expunk who in his way was probably angrier than Rotten; a bolshy showman who refuses to be defined by a handful of classic pop songs he wrote 25 years ago that were in a way sharper and dreamier than anything comparable by Lennon and McCartney; a precious musicologist; moody bastard; disappointed romantic. Overrated. Underrated. Grumpy old man. Sentimental Mr Diana Krall. A dilettante whose restlessness has seen him work with the Brodsky Quartet, Burt Bacharach, Anne Sofie von Otter and Tony Bennett. The clown who’s appeared in the Spice Girls movie and The Spy Who Shagged Me.

At the Hammersmith Apollo, he was some of the above, but mostly the performer with a chip on his shoulder, an eye on his legacy, ice in his veins, love on the tip of his tongue, and a country, rock’n’roll and/or pop song in his heart. Black-suited as always, with glittery show-biz shoes and the oddly jaunty air of a disreputable undertaker, he delivered the kind of punchy guitared-up rock’n’soul show for those who would put the Brodsky and Bacharach albums at the bottom end of his 21 albums. He just got on with the comfortably uncomfortable job of being the Elvis who can be as demanding as Sondheim, as caught up in himself as Dylan, as surly as Reed, as social as Elton and as emotional as Cash.

He found ways to please both himself and the crowd, mostly 1 by playing more than 30 songs that covered his entire career. He smuggled in all of The Delivery Man, bit by bit (so the evening’s entertainment wasn’t overwhelmed by what is essentially a gothic documentary about fear and loathing in a violent world). He played enough of the early hits to satisfy the cravings of the nostalgic, flashing just enough of his temper to make "Chelsea”, “Detectives” and “Pump It Up” interesting. He raced from 1976 to 2002 to 1984 in the blink of an ex-popstar’s eye and twisted his early “Alison” around a bit of late Elvis Presley. There was a discreet reminder of the merits of “Shipbuilding” as the greatest pop song of the past 25 years, at least in the real world, and he wondered once more “What’s So Funny About Peace, Love and Understanding?” as if he really meant it. What is Elvis Costello? He is his songs.
Last edited by johnfoyle on Mon Feb 14, 2005 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Otis Westinghouse

What is Paul Morley? He has spent his life endlessly inviting the adjective 'pretentious', and yet he's always well worth reading. Love the highlighted jaunty undertaker line! Like the 'gothic documentary' description too. (Though, sadly, he didn't play the whole LP.) When I was 16 at school, we had to write down which person we most wanted to be, and I was infatuated enough by the NME and Paul Morley in particular at that point to want to be him. Sunday Telegraph, eh?