Doubly Indecisive Dutchess needs Your Help!

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
double dutchess

Doubly Indecisive Dutchess needs Your Help!

Post by double dutchess »

Today I was supposed to begin training as a shift supervisor at work (I work at Starbucks). I've been looking foreward to this promotion since I started working there two months ago. But when I sat down with my store manager, the first question she asked me is if I could commit to a year. That threw me, as I had been hoping to return to school in January, ideally in Chicago or London. I told her I would think about it and let her know tomorrow morning. I REALLY want to move, I'm sick of living here. But I can see the good points of staying for another year; for one thing, I could save a lot of money, which would definately help when I'm a student again, and I could take a few classes at the local community college in January and get some more transfer credit. But...I want to leave! I'm afraid that if I stay, I'll sink further into my rut and never get out of here.

I'm so confused. I know what I should do, but it's not what I want. I'm terrified I'll make the wrong choice.

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated. In the meantime, I'm off to my best friend's house to watch Brokedown Palace and eat lots of junk food.
I wasn't born the sharpest thorn
DrJ

Post by DrJ »

Well, Junk food's a good start...

I'm not sure what age you are DD and if that is playing on your mind. What happens if you tell Starbucks that you can't commit to a year? Failing that, surely staying on an extra six months can't harm things, surely most courses will start in the autumn/fall. I have recently debated leaving Dublin in January but have postponed the decision, like you, for an extra six months. If one or two specific things don't happen I'll have to move to the UK next July, hopefully London. I think you need to exhaust your options at your home base so that when you make the move it'll be effective. For the sake of six months, it's probably the best thing to do. When you're retired on your yacht, that extra six months will have been forgotten about.

DrJ
Tlentifini Maarhaysu
double dutchess

Post by double dutchess »

You made some good points, DrJ. (And have I told you I love your avatar?)

For the record, I'm 24. And I've been an off-and-on college student since fall 1997 (sad, isn't it?).

This afternoon I called my store's assistant manager (an old friend of mine) who is currently on a leave of abscence, and may not return to her job. I told her my concerns, and she said, and I quote, "Use the fuckers!" She assured me they won't hold me to the year long committment, and as long as I give adequete notice, I'll still remain on good terms with the company.

Although I can see the good points of sticking around for another year, I think I'll apply to the schools I was considering, and make a decision about when to leave as January draws closer. The important thing is that right now, I feel like I have all my options open. And I can figure it out when the time comes.
I wasn't born the sharpest thorn