Do insults towards your beloved musicians break your heart?

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
BlueChair

Do insults towards your beloved musicians break your heart?

Post by BlueChair »

Am I a softie? I find that sometimes when people make fun of albums, artists, or songs, with which I hold a special place in my heart, I feel a weak, sick feeling. With tastes as varied and eclectic and obsessive as mine, I have this happen all too often. While in my head I know that I have pretty high standards when it comes to my taste, I can't help but let these little comments, even ones as simple as "Blood Money and Alice weren't very good. I don't like Tom Waits" bother me to bits.

Do any of you guys have the same problem?
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

yes. I try to remember that everybody's entitled to their opinion, however ignorant and misbegotten, and people have different taste and that differences make life more interesting, but really I take it kind of personally if somebody slags my faves. Just prior to my get together with Sp00ks and Slick, I had dinner with my sis and some of her friends. My husband made remarks about EC, as did some of the other guests (not my sis)--I just told them that some of us had more evolved taste, and some of us are still hanging around trees picking lice off each other. :twisted:
Like me, the "g" is silent.
DrJ

Post by DrJ »

Blood Money and Alice weren't very good. I don't like Tom Waits.

DrJ
Tlentifini Maarhaysu
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Dr J, you're a *$'*$@?# %!£$@#**

I find it very frustrating when someone I like, can't git a song or artiste that I think is fabulous. But but ur.......... grrrrrrrrr.......... 1..2..3..4......grrrrrrrrrr.......5..6..7..8..9..10..breath in.

By the way Blood Money & Alice are excellent and should be in everyones collection. Anyone who doesn't agree is a *$'*$@?# %!£$@#**.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Dr. J., secret chain-yanking champ of the board! Don't worry, Blue, if memory serves, he also once said he thought Jimi Hendrix sucked. And YES IT HURT!!

:wink:

I have a list as long as my arm of much maligned pop groups that I really like a LOT-- ELO and Garbage are two I've gone on about on this board-- and it bums me out when people whose opinion I repsect reject them out of hand, or worse, give me that look like my personal stock has just plummetted a few hundred points in their eyes. But when it comes to someone like Tom Waits, you've got the unflagging weight of critical opinion on your side, so I wouldn't sweat it.

Everybody hated ABBA until suddenly it was cool not to, and they all came tumbling out of the closet. They weren't wrong to declare their love, they were wrong to be ashamed of it to begin with.

So, that said, I hereby declare my love of Erasure....
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

I still hate ABBA, I don't care what EC says, they blighted my childhood. I also like ELO and I like my erasure too.
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

mug, i LOVE garbage. they are excellent. nothing to be ashamed of at ALL.

my cd collection has massive gaps in it, but i've also run out of space. where the hell do i put them all? don't have a 500 cd changer to store them in, just a boombox and a rack from pier one.

though, when i stop buying music i think i will have died. music is the first place for discretionary income to be spent. used to be fabric, but i never got as much enjoyment outta' that as i do the cds.
pip_52

Post by pip_52 »

I feel that way a lot, a friend of mine and I used to get into these long involved arguments about music (until she started refusing to argue with me!), and it always bugged me when she said someone I really liked sucked. Its hard not to take things personally because the music we like it such a reflection on our personality, that when someone says that artist that you like more than anyone sucks, its like having them tell you that you suck.

And its hard not to take it personally when someone says (or implies) that you have bad taste in music . . .
pip_52

Post by pip_52 »

Inversely, when someone says something like "I know we always tease you about listening to Elvis Costello so much, but he's actually pretty good" . . . dont you just feel so proud?

:P
A rope leash

It ain't right.

Post by A rope leash »

Countless times I have sat through someone's suffering over the sound of my Elvis Costello collection. Watching their pain is almost as unbearable to watch as it must be to experience. Only through my study of Pha Khem have I been able to overcome the uncomfortableness of such situations.
sulkygirl
Location: The Absolute Armpit of the USA--Yakima, Washington (***cough***)

Post by sulkygirl »

Ah, grasshopper...you have no taste!

No, seriously, I agree w/ Rope's Pha Khem philosophy. When people try to make fun of my choices in music, I just smile inwardly and let myself feel SO MUCH superior to them!!

Even my son, who claims to hate everything, is taking an interest in my J. Jackson, & Ramones stuff (have caught him surreptitiously burning copies of my CD's on the computer). Hell, he's even taken an interest in hubby's Pink Floyd collection!!

And, though he gives me crap about my E.C. fetish, I've actually overheard him humming and/or singing along. And this from a 15 year old (okay, almost 16).

But I simply look at these folks as uninformed. They just don't know any better!!

:P
"Love can be stranger than fiction..."
shabbydoll

Post by shabbydoll »

No, doesn't bother me at all. I might think they are idiots, but that is as far emotionally involved I get.
SweetPear

Post by SweetPear »

Not really. They just think I'm weird and I just think they're nuts and then we try to remember to be very cordial when those things come up.

I don't really have any friends that share my Elvis fascination or just my enthusiasm for music in general. It's a total bummer to have friends who just don't get excited about music like I do. They think it's funny when I go to concerts and shows and buy so many CDs and stuff. I think they think I'm acting like a kid. Not in a condesending way~but they say that THEY'RE too old for stuff like that. I'm a brand spanking fresh 40 yr old and they're a few years older.
It was plausable to take one of my girlfriends to Bard Collage to see Elvis and the Mingus Orchestra because that was a bit more adult and refined.
I would have gone alone if need be.
So it's not like it makes me mad~ actually it makes me feel limited unless I want to go places alone. :(
taz
Site Admin

Post by taz »

Doesn't really bother me too bad, I agree with Sulky on the feeling superior thing...but then I come here and realize how much I have to catch up on! :)

Though I must say, I got dragged into an argument one time (alcohol was not a little to blame) when I told an 'acquaintance' that I thought the Who was better than Led Zeppelin....he was the type of person who apparently couldn't enjoy his music as much if even one person didn't agree with him, needed the confirmation on what he liked. Anyway, it ended with him going around to other tables at the pub and doing a 'survey'....needless to say I don't hang out with him anymore.
A lot of Christians wear crosses around their necks. Do you think when Jesus comes back he ever wants to see a fuckin' cross? It's kind of like going up to Jackie Onassis with a rifle pendant on.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

but he sounds like such a fun guy, Taz!

I should clarify my position--it bothers me when people make fun of my tastes. If they disagree but keep quiet, I don't care. I don't like Garth Brooks, but I don't rub that in my sister's face. Too much--he's one of the few who make me physically ill whenever they open their mouths. Him and Billy Joel. Can't they just go straight to hell and not collect $200??
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

What I can't stand is when people can't accept that I don't like certain things. Like Amélie. What is it about that movie that drives people to fanatically defend it? People! It isn't any good! It sinks under the weight of its own self-conscious whimsy!
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

I had a doll named Mrs. Whimsey. And one named Clownie. Guess which one my sister threw out the window as we were traveling down the freeway... :cry: I still miss him.
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

Terry Allen.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Sorry again about that other post, El Vez... I guess I should practice what I preach, huh? :)

Forgive me?
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

Blue,

Nothing to forgive. Having a difference of opinion over whether Ornette Coleman or Guy Clark is more deserving of a poll nomination is not the sort of thing I really have any right to be pissed about. I wish all my disagreements were over something like that.
girl out of time

Post by girl out of time »

when people put down an artist i like...i don´t really care...although when someone comes and tells me "Elvis Costello sucks!" I automatically ask......."well, tell me, what records have you listened to in order to form such opinion?".......most of the time the answer is something like...."i´ve listened to that song... she"..... and that´s all they´ve listened to......
so as you see, opinions like that don´t really count, do they?
...the promise of indulgence in my confidential voice approached inmortal danger but you´ll never know how close....
SweetPear

Post by SweetPear »

mood swung wrote:I had a doll named Mrs. Whimsey. And one named Clownie. Guess which one my sister threw out the window as we were traveling down the freeway... :cry: I still miss him.
I had a Clownie too!

I threw up on him.
:lol:
I'm not angry anymore....
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

you didn't find him on a California freeway, did you?
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

What someone says probably reveals THEM more than anything else...