AMERICAN IDIOT

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
A rope leash

Too young to know it all

Post by A rope leash »

Green Day is a highly popular rock and roll band. They sell millions of records across the planet. They are rich beyond most people's dreams. They don't have to grow up, and they can wear bare red asses with peacock plumage if they so desire.

As for losing the "punk", why in Hell would a punk band want to do that?

I haven't studied the lyrics much yet, but I have listened to it many times, unlike some folks who have a pre-determined shill opinion. I don't care what the lyrics are, it's a rocking record, but I must admit that the leftist tinge really warms my heart.

All in all, I like it because it reminds me of a lot of other great rock, and it also reminds me how grand rock and roll can be. It's ironic that we have the perfect example of an American idiot posting on this thread, saying that a fine piece of rock and roll he's never heard is shit.

...one nation controlled by the media
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

I didn't call the record shit, ever.

But, for an old man trying to denounce my generation of 'sheep' and the corporate take over that is sure to come any day now, he sure stands by his statistics pretty close, and buys into Green Day's phoney image.
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

'Take their eye liner off' ? Why the hell should they? 'Stop their punk nonsense'? why the hell should they? Punk is ok , we grew up on it and so are a whole new generation. Some of the best music has come from the punk scene - including our Elvis :roll:

Green Day rock - and just for the record Avril Lavigne's not bad either! (cue barrage of insults and crap..)
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
A rope leash

What I like.

Post by A rope leash »

Who am I to judge? I've also bought into the phoney image of Everclear and the Foo Fighters!
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

wehitandrun wrote:"ahhhhhh, ahhhh, ahhhhh" = avril lavigne lyrics

Good job Billy Joe, you phoney.
Lil' Dude, if you are gonna toss all ahhhh ahhhh lyrics, then say goodbye to The Beatles, The Beach Boys, Bowie, and, um, errrr, every other band that ever existed. To call Billie Joe an old man is ridiculous as well. Who cares what the labels are! This is a great album, whether you call it punk, rock, pop, or pap. I don't think he's spitting on your 'generation' at all. He's commenting on the general state of Idiot America. If the lyrics feel pesonal, well then, that'll give you something to think about.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

I think the 'old man' was addressed to one of our number, not BJ ( :lol: ).
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
corruptio optimi pessima
A rope leash

Dodge Dog

Post by A rope leash »

Anybody got any jumper cables?
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

My first girlfriend had a car just like that one, Rope. Shit felt like a tank to drive........
A rope leash

I'll never forget...

Post by A rope leash »

That's a 1970 Dodge Monaco 500. Quite rare actually, in the 500 form.

It's a tank, but I wish I had it back. It has some unique qualities.

My dead wife "got tired of looking at it". I sold it, with new tires, for $100.00

Dog's name is Gallagher. A version of him is featured in my novel.
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

in 1974 i bought a 1972 dodge polara at the ex-state police car auction for $500. had a 400 in it, all the holes in the exterior where they ripped off the antennas, and no carpet. got 9 miles to the gallon and burned a quart of oil every 100 miles, but if you stomped it going 25, the tires would spin. beat the hell out of it and sold it to a guy for $25 who used it at a figure 8 track.
I'm not concerned about the very poor.
A rope leash

The death of the Dodges

Post by A rope leash »

Many early to mid-Seventies Dodge Polara police cars were destroyed during the filming of The Blues Brothers.

I think the one Elwood drives is a '75. It takes a lot of power to get one airborne.
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

pophead2k wrote: To call Billie Joe an old man is ridiculous as well. Who cares what the labels are! This is a great album, whether you call it punk, rock, pop, or pap. I don't think he's spitting on your 'generation' at all. He's commenting on the general state of Idiot America. If the lyrics feel pesonal, well then, that'll give you something to think about.
I never claimed Billy Joe said any of that, that was directed to "one of our number".

But, if I can compare this to EC- he wasn't playing the 'punk kid' game at the age Billy Joe is currently at. He does have to grow up.
A rope leash

Spoken like a true idoit!

Post by A rope leash »

A pompous teen-ager tells someone else to grow-up.

That's rich.

I never grew up, and I'm quite successful thank you.

Now, is Mick Jagger fully mature? Would we ever suggest that The Rolling Stones stop being The Rolling Stones, and start being something more "adult"?

WHAR, please read the previous posts before you post. Nobody "needs" to grow-up, especially if they are of a means to stay kiddish, like Micheal Jackson. All "image" is phoney, that's what an "image" is, a representation, but not the actual. Someone may have an image of being "real", but that's just what their image is.

You should read, listen, and learn, WHAR. I suspect that many of us are, like me, barely tolerating you. I wouldn't give a plug nickel for the piss you post. If you're so smart, and if your opinion is so vaild, then why is it so easy for a dog like me to pick your ass to pieces? If you are so smart and clever, why don't you channel your wit into something useful, artistic, or fun?

Frankly, I'm tired of beating you down, and tired of your petty vendettas. At this point, you are only contributing to our international reputation as "Ugly (idiot) Americans". I wish you would shut up and go away, and stop embarrassing yourself here on this international forum.

Jerk...!

:twisted: :lol:
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

I'm sorry you feel that way, rope. I hope you can find it in your heart to keep posting, and continue with me on this journey through 'not enough EC news'.

It's easy to pick something apart, rope, when the reason you read it in the first place was to disagree. I wouldn't say you've picked me to pieces, at all. You've offered your (most of the time with a bitter old man provoking added to it) opinion and your advice and your words of 'wisdom'- but none of them have ever been proven to mean jack.

I love that I make you feel this way, but make no mistake about it- nobody shares this feeling with you (well, maybe solikecandy, she doesnt seem so fond of me). You're guilty of as many board crimes as I am- only you're less original and more media-driven with a dated sense of humor (which, sadly, a lot of this board has been blessed with).

Obviously, rope, you're not an EC fan... you're a man who couldn't hold a marriage that is grasping at any type of late night drinking music. Move on, old tits, you've outstayed your welcome.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

I love that I make you feel this way, but make no mistake about it- nobody shares this feeling with you (well, maybe solikecandy, she doesnt seem so fond of me).
Add me to the list please.

"time to make the doughnuts"
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

Extremes:
rope
sll

not sure:
solikecandy

Lets get this list completed, already.
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

so lacklustre wrote:
I love that I make you feel this way, but make no mistake about it- nobody shares this feeling with you (well, maybe solikecandy, she doesnt seem so fond of me).
Add me to the list please.

"time to make the doughnuts"
I make more money than you.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

You don't know how much money I make doughnutboy.

One thing's for sure, you make more doughnuts than me.
signed with love and vicious kisses
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Ah, I see your barring order is due for renewal, perhaps for 6 months this time? Unfortunately this isn't quite offensive enough, just tediously unpleasant. Must try harder next time.

Add me too.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

Otis, I love when you chime in.

Read the posts, there is one bitter poster and one who is trying his damn-dest to satisfy that bitter man's urge (out of defense, ofcourse). But, if this is how you want to look like it, keep being predictable.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Gillibeanz wrote:
To both you and WHAR (who hasnt even listened to the album so cannot possibly contribute or give a view) you seem to be outnumbered here which means you are in the minority - which should tell you something.
So does that mean your take on Lucinda Williams and Emmylou Harris on The Delivery Man is probably suspect? It was a minority opinion, after all... :twisted:
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

WHAR, dear boy, it would perhaps be an error on your part to interpret others' silence on this subject as a sign that Mr. Leash is alone in his opinion.
It's a radiation vibe I'm groovin' on
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

I called a truce with WHAR, so I'm not chiming in on the list. But I think the phrase "old tits" is not needed. It seems to be taking a shot at elderly women in an attempt to degrade Rope. I'm not worried about Rope, but the elderly women don't deserve that.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

Speaking as someone in possession of old tits, thank you, but one must consider the source of an insult before getting one's panties in a twist about it! :lol:
It's a radiation vibe I'm groovin' on