Recent CD Purchases

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Just ordered Dylan's just released Bootleg Series Vol.6 -- Concert At Philharmonic Hall. And The Rhino MAIT and IB... would have earlier except that I'm cheap and had the Ryko versions of them.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Just ordered Dylan's just released Bootleg Series Vol.6 -- Concert At Philharmonic Hall.
I've had this a couple of weeks and am really enjoying it (never heard it before). Dylan's mood seems very high and he enjoys several jokes with the audience. The audience seem enraptured and ready to laugh at anything and politely applaud when they recognise the songs. Oh, and the songs are of course pretty good as well. Enjoy.
signed with love and vicious kisses
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Guardian review talks about him doubled up with laughter during a duet with Baez. It sounds bizarre and rather wonderful.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

I was recently given a copy of Peter Gabriel's US to which I have become instantly addicted. I knew three of the songs very well already but it's the others that are killin' me. Great stuff. Two ancient records that I still play fairly regularly are NURSERY CRIME and FOXTROT, especially the former. It's remarkable to hear PG and Phil Collins together, they really made quite a team. I can never hate Phil Collins the way it would be so easy to do, because I know he's massively talented.

Speaking of Bob D., did anyone see his commercial debut for Victoria's Secret? ....the fuck??????!!
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Can you really blame Bob?

From the Victoria's Secret press release:

"We asked him to be in the commercials and he said yes, he would gladly go off to Venice with the supermodels"

I think had he just let them use his song it would have been more of a sell out than actually appearing in the commercial. He's just having some fun.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

In reply to BC's post, there WERE a few commercials last year that only utilized the song, not Dylan's mug. Having said that- I think its just fine. Dylan hasn't realized the same commercial success that many lesser artists have and if he wants to pad his nest a little, so be it.

Last night I picked up Blackberry Belle by the Twilight Singers (which I love) and The Best of Guided by Voices which I am absolutely enthralled with. I don't know how I missed out on these guys- I guess so many album scared me off or something; but this stuff is fantastic.
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

Here's what I got last week. Mostly stuff to replace vinyl, 'cuz I got no turntable no more, or to replace stuff things destroyed during the Unfortunate Parenting Incident of '97.

Tom Waits-Closing Time
The Clash-Combat Rock
Sex Pistols-Never Mind The Bollocks etc.
Dylan-Hwy 61 Revisited and Blonde on Blonde
Carmen McRae-Carmen Sings Monk
Jefferson Airplane-Surrealistic Pillow
Charles Mingus-Mingus Ah Um
Billie Holiday-Lady in Satin
Francis Albert Sinatra & Antonio Carlos Jobim (this is new to me, and it is great)
Van Morrison-Astral Weeks
John Hiatt-Crossing Muddy Waters (new for me)
The Breeders-Title TK (also new to me)

I hate having to replace stuff, because I'd like to buy things I don't have already. If cd's ever go out, I'll go broke replacing them.
It's a radiation vibe I'm groovin' on
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Some quality stuff there, goody
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
BrilliantMistake45

Post by BrilliantMistake45 »

Willie Nelson-Stardust
Best of Bob Weir
Medeski, Martin, & Wood-The Dropper
Primus-Sailing the Seas of Cheese
Eric Clapton-Me & Mr. Johnson
Steve Nieve-Keyboard Jungle...Plus Selections from Playboy
Trey Anastasio-Seis de Mayo
Ben Kweller-On My Way
I wish that I could push a button
And talk in the past and not the present tense
And watch this hurtin' feeling disappear
Like it was common sense
It was a fine idea at the time
Now it's a brilliant mistake

~Elvis Costello
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I wanted to buy a few CD's by artists that are entirely absent from my collection, so I did. In three seperate genres:

William Bell - The Soul Of A Bell
Mose Allison - The Best of Mose Allison
Ed Harcourt - From Every Sphere
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

I LOVE Mose Allison- you will find yourself returning to that CD over and over Blue. The song 'Your Molecular Structure' is an all time classic. I've been lucky enough to see Mose live several times in small clubs, and he is just as energetic today at age 74 or something than I have ever been!
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

John Coltrane - My Favorite Things

It was on sale :D
Otis Westinghouse

And not by Julie Andrews? It's a great LP. I nicked it from the stash of jazz LPs, bereft and forgotten in a dusty corner, in my first year hall of residence as a student, along with Kind of Blue, Night Train, Brubeck at Oberlin and a few others. I figured they would be better off in a good home. Have only recently heard and got into A Love Supreme, the reissue with the fabulous second CD featuring the only live performance of the suite, together with alternative studio takes. All very wonderful.
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

Pure Ella - Just Ella and Ellis Larkins on the piano doing standards. No other instruments....... just the two of them. Sounds great! I thought it was time I owned an Ella Fitzgerald recording.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
Otis Westinghouse

Out of interest, and in a jazz vein still, anyone here know Tony Bennett + Bill Evans? Heard a snippet on Desert Island Discs today, and it did sound wonderful, and made me realise how instantly recognisable Evans is (the genius at the piano on Kind of Blue, among other stuff). The guy choosing it (an opera conductor) said it was dangerous cos it brings you down, so he had to keep it hidden a lot of the time! Is there just one LP of this, or did he say two? I've never had any interest in Tony Bennett, to me he's just a genre I'm not interested in, but could appreciate him in this context.
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

Yes, Otis, there are two, the second being called Together Again. They are very, very nice. Late-night music for me, and it does bring you down, but in a good way. Probably Tony Bennett's best album.

My favorites, both off the first album: But Beautiful and Waltz for Debby.
It's a radiation vibe I'm groovin' on
Otis Westinghouse

And of course it's on EC's list of 500:

TONY BENNETT and BILL EVANS
The Tony Bennett Bill Evans Album
(1975), `Some Other Time."
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

-Graham Parker, Your Country
-The Essential Doc Watson
-Mark Eitzel, Caught In A Trap And I Can't Walk Out 'Cause I Love You Too Much, Baby
-Robyn Hitchcock, I Often Dream of Trains
-Loretta Lynn, Van Lear Rose
senior_service

Post by senior_service »

Augustus Pablo - King Tubbys Meets Rockers Uptown
Grant Lee Buffalo - Storm Hymnal
Radiohead - The Bends (....better late than never)
Al Green - Greatest Hits
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Between my own personal insanity and birthday I ended up with:

Orchestra Baobab - Specializing In All Styles (if you like Buena Vista Social Club, check out this band from Senegal on the Nonesuch label)

Johnny Cash - Unearthed (bloody marvelous!)

Jolie Holland - Escondida

Thelonious Monk - It's Monk Time
Otis Westinghouse

Nice selection. Orchestra Baobab got rave reviews here for their last LP (which I assume is the one you got, from late '02 or early '03). I heard a bit of it in someone's car and thought it was Cuban, so Latin did it sound. I think there are some Cuban players on it. Great sound, kind of music that immediately lifts your spirits. Haven't got around to checking it out yet.

I've been swelling the ranks of my collection with some entirely predictable but utterly essential purchases:

The Jam - Direction, Creation Reaction 5CD box set, see Jam thread. Contains all their recordings plus rarities. No live. Great book. Good price on eBay.

EC: MAIT and TYM reissues. Only £8.99 each on Play.com right now. This leaves only Spike and ATUB left to get of these! I've not had these two on CD ever, and I've never bought MAIT, only had a taped copy of a mate's, so am looking forward to discovering it properly, though it's one of my least favourite of his LPs (though a great debut, obviously). TYM was the second one I got on vinyl, after AF, back in '79, and I can't wait to play it aagain and of course read all the notes and check out the extras. Will have to grit my teeth, if not stop the CD, as Radio, Radio and Detectives come on as CD1 'bonus tracks' and provide unacceptable historical revisionism!!! :wink:

and the really modern element... er,

Tom Waits: Frank's Wild Years and Bone Machine. Big Time made me realise I had to have the former, and the popularity of the letter also made it an essential. And Play.com had these as 2 for £12, along with several other TWs, so head there now if you want to stock up on some real bargains.

None of it original or new, but all very lovely.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

What a devil.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Expanding and went for the 5 for £20 deal:

The Best of Johnny Cash
Steve Earle The Collection
Miles Davis' Greatest Hits
The Best of The Kinks
The Best of Buddy Holly