Recent CD Purchases

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
girl out of time

live albums

Post by girl out of time »

sí otis, es verdad........
i ´ve been listening to tim buckley´s honeyman (live album from 1973) all day.......check it out, it´s great......
...the promise of indulgence in my confidential voice approached inmortal danger but you´ll never know how close....
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I picked up John Cale's Fragments Of A Rainy Season today. I haven't listened to it straight through yet but am very impressed with what I've heard so far.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

I got The Definitive Chet Baker today for AUS$12.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

....along with them three reissues (gloat gloat), I also got the new SFA and Sleepy Jackson, but with all them bonus tracks to listen to (gloat gloat) I haven't had time to play them yet.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

:x :P :x :P
Like me, the "g" is silent.
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

what came in the mail yesterday:

rhino reissues of: Imperial Bedroom, Spike, Mighty Like a Rose, Brutal Youth.

today i'm playing Imperial Bedroom. it will take a few listens to totally wam up, but Beyond Belief is worth the price of admission alone. and i haven't even gotten to the bonus cd yet.

:) happy happy
... name the stars and constellations,
count the cars and watch the seasons....
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Yesterday at my fave used CD store I bought:

Wings VENUS AND MARS - I loved this record so much when I was 13. Some great stuff on it.

and

DOWTOWN: THE GREATEST HITS OF PETULA CLARK - Cause how could you NOT buy that for $7?? Worth it just for I KNOW A PLACE...
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

I bought Perry Ferell's album "Song Yet To Be Sung" for $2 on Amazon, and it arrived yesterday. It's electronica/DJ music, but it still has that distinctive voice and ibe. I really liked it, much more than I thought I would.

Then, yesterday I was at Fry's Electronics (which has good CD prices), and I was flipping through Spin because they had a cover story on the new Jane's Addiction album. Evidently, Perry's solo album was recorded and released to coincide with the Jewish Year of Jubilee (in the Old Testament, that was a recurring event every few years where all debts were to be forgiven and all slaves freed, followed by a big party).

Now get this:

Jane's Addiction got back together and did a tour that year. They used all the proceeds from the tour (about $120K) to free slaves in Sudan. They literally bought people who were in slavery from modern slaveholders and arranged their freedom with the money. And it was evidently a lot of people, as the going rate at the time was about $4 to buy a slave.

So that means that a rock band raised money to save a few thousand people from slavery. I think that's amazing. I wish I knew how they did it. If I knew for certain that there was a trustworthy person doing that, I'd send every spare buck I had, as often as I had one.

I like the solo album even more now, and my admiration for the Jane's boys has never been higher. Not even REM or Bono ever did anything like that. This is Bob Geldoff territory.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
A rope leash

Liberate!

Post by A rope leash »

Why don't we fucking attack Sudan?
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

That's an excellent question.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
SweetPear

Post by SweetPear »

noiseradio wrote:
So that means that a rock band raised money to save a few thousand people from slavery. I think that's amazing. I wish I knew how they did it. If I knew for certain that there was a trustworthy person doing that, I'd send every spare buck I had, as often as I had.
That is so wonderful! Maybe we can let Perry know we're interested and he can set something up. Afterall~they've been touring w/Lollapalooza and possibly after that too in support of the new records.
Who are all the connected people here?
:)
I'm not angry anymore....
SweetPear

Post by SweetPear »

Bamboo~I should be getting the Costello/Nieve set soon. Do you mean you think I paid too much for it? I had trouble with that particular item because I don't actually know how rare it is (I've never seen or heard it.) and then how much is it worth to me to have?
It being in mint condition was a big point....and the opening bid was $8.00!!

Hmmm.....was I suckered?
I'm not angry anymore....
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

SweetPear wrote: Hmmm.....was I suckered?
I know the comment wasn't directed at me, but I got the same set a few months back for $70, including shipping. I've seen it go for slightly less, and I've also seen it go for a lot more. The one I got was previously played, but was in perfect shape, as far as I could tell, just one very minor ding on the outer sleeve. I got it on one of those "buy it now" options that ends the bidding, and I happened upon it about 15 minutes after it was posted, so I felt pretty lucky to get it at that price.

That said, I don't think you were suckered, it's well-worth it.
It's a radiation vibe I'm groovin' on
Poppet

box set

Post by Poppet »

i paid $86 for mine, but it hasn't arrived yet. still waiting to see if *i* was suckered. :)
... name the stars and constellations,
count the cars and watch the seasons....
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

I've watched a few of those go on eBay--I think you did good. I saw one go for over $150 once. I don't even bid. Out of my price range, but damn, I'd love to have it!!
Like me, the "g" is silent.
King of Confidence

Post by King of Confidence »

I just picked up the (I believe) debut of a NY jazz trio, The Bad Plus, These Are the Vistas. Recommended. Piano, bass, drums.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Sweet Pear, I don't know what the usual going price would be, but I've seen it for US$120. Considering that 6 EC reissues could be bought for around US$90, I'd definitely consider that too much for me to pay. As for how rare it is, I understand that 30 000 were made.

Does anybody know for how much it retailed for originally in 1996?
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

I think it cost around $40 on Amazon. :?:
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Thanks Ready.
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

selfmademug wrote:Yesterday at my fave used CD store I bought:

Wings VENUS AND MARS - I loved this record so much when I was 13. Some great stuff on it.

I LOVE that cd Mug!

That reprise is great. He does great reprises. :D

OH, AND OTIS!

I ordered 2 Lloyd Cole CD's on Amazon.....I'm still trying to pay off an engagement ring debt on my credit card, so this was a very crazy thing for me to do. If I don't like these albums....you'll reimburse me? :D
Loving this board since before When I Was Cruel.
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

Went a bit mad today with some money I was owed from a commission.

Kings of Leon - Youth & Young Manhood
Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Nocturama
The Darkness - Permission To Land (this is FUN!)
George Harrison - Brainwashed
The Sleepy Jackson - Lovers

I also got 5 of the new reissued Carry On DVDs. For anyone who's interested they were:

Dick
Camping
Henry
Don't Lose Your Head
Matron

At least I don't have a class A drug problem.
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

Jay Farrar - Terroir Blues
Clem Snide - Soft Spot
Caitlin Cary - I'm Staying Out

Wahoo!
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

How's the new Jay Farrar?

I loved Son volt's first album. I liked the second one a little, and by the third one, I felt like every song was the same. I still pull out Trace and enjoy every minute, but I've never taken to his later work. I heard that the first solo album suffered from the same ailment, but I never actually listened to it. What say you, El Vez?
--William Shakespeare
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

The thing I like the most about it, so far, is that it has this expansive, almost cinematic quality to it. Personally, I think that all of the sonic experiments and mood pieces help flesh out the "proper" songs and establish where it is Jay Farrar wants to take us with the album.

The songs themselves are quite good. I've listened to it twice so far and the standouts for me are Hanging On To You and Heart On The Ground. It does suffer a little from lack of variation. Farrar reminds me of Leonard Cohen in how he constantly mines the same subject matter again and again. Terroir Blues is definitely not a party record.....very subdued and melancholy. Spectral. Still, I think it's a very good record and Jay Farrar is a truly gifted and original voice.

His first solo album was seriously underrated in my view. It had a wide range of moods and sounds and his songwriting was sharp as a knife on it. Barstow, in particular, is one of my favorite songs of the decade so far. I would recommend it to you without hesitation.

I'm also excited because Jay Farrar is coming to perform in Knoxville next month.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Picked up Randy Newman's Sail Away reissue yesterday. Great stuff...