Recent CD Purchases

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

As if by power of suggestion, the cheap but new copy I bought, yesterday, of Television's Marquee Moon is spazzing out in iTunes. Gets to track 2 and then freezes the app. Lovely! Poo. Well, it's fine on the CD deck.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

selfmademug wrote:As if by power of suggestion, the cheap but new copy I bought, yesterday, of Television's Marquee Moon is spazzing out in iTunes. Gets to track 2 and then freezes the app. Lovely! Poo. Well, it's fine on the CD deck.
Return it. I had a similar problems with the Talking Heads' Name Of This Band... and Amazon replaced it no questions asked. Got my new copy before I'd even had the chance to send back the old one.
Last edited by Who Shot Sam? on Sun Oct 09, 2005 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

I've been planning to buy Marquee Moon since 1980 and still haven't got there. Haven't even heard the whole thing!

Gang of Four re-recording their former glories is getting rave reviews. Sounds like a potentially dodgy venture, but the results sound cracking. Remix CD probably a waste of time.

My FF2 isn't the Dual Disc. Lord knows what it is. It's a fun LP. Rather predictable, and it sounds like it wasnm't hard for them to keep on where they left off, but there are some crackers in there, and I suspect, like the first LP, that it will grow and grow on me.

Elbow really grew on me by the end. There's some lovely, wistful stuff in the last few songs. They're really quite special.

Wishing I had a ticket for Weller in Nov now. All sold out. Good ol' Paul, am always happy to hear he's refinding his form, even if I've never bought anything of his post-Jam.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Bad Ambassador

Post by Bad Ambassador »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:
Elbow really grew on me by the end. There's some lovely, wistful stuff in the last few songs. They're really quite special.
'Great Expectations' is one of the finest songs I've heard all year. A beautiful album that grows in stature with every play until you believe you've owned it for ages.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Gang of Four re-recording their former glories is getting rave reviews. Sounds like a potentially dodgy venture, but the results sound cracking. Remix CD probably a waste of time.
They are streaming it for free on the Gang Of Four website. I wasn't wild about the concept but I listened to most of it the other day and it sounds great.
Otis Westinghouse

Bad Ambassador wrote:'Great Expectations' is one of the finest songs I've heard all year. A beautiful album that grows in stature with every play until you believe you've owned it for ages.
Yes, that's a fabulous song, with great lyrics. I started off thinking it all sounded less subtle and interesting, but ended up sure I was going to want to play it loads, and now I will. Recommended, even if I haven't fully got there yet.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

The Killers - Hot Fuss. Pretty disposable but the sounds are great in the car. It's well enough done -- arrangements, production, general conviction-- that improving the writing a notch or two would really elevate it imo.
Paul McCartney - Chaos And creation In The Backyard. Arrived today.
Kiss Me Kate 1953 Film Soundtrack. Could easily see EC doing a similar style of album, humourous lush romantic musical songs, with great results. All Cole Porter stuff in this case.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

As promised, I bought 'As Is Now' today. The whole of Weller's new album is great...If you loved The Jam, you'll like this....He's using the word 'Fucker' again.....and has actually written some tunes to go with biting lyrics. Could well be his best since Wild Wood (I never took to 'Stanley Road').
corruptio optimi pessima
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

I loved Wildwood and all of the Jam material. I know I've said it before, but Elvis' Distorted Angel vocals remind me of Wellers sound on Wildwood.
Sound Effects, Setting Sons, and All Mod Cons are my favorite.

Style Council was great in principle and initially great in practice, but I thought it wore out its welcome after a while.

Based on the comments above, I will definitely acquire this CD. Thanks.
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Have bought As Is Now on your recommendation JM, Haven't played it yet.
signed with love and vicious kisses
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Jackson Monk wrote: The whole of Weller's new album is great...If you loved The Jam, you'll like this....
Well at least this reinforces my impression at his show that the stuff from the forthcoming record sounded better than the more recent things!
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Thanks Jackson. I think Paul hit a real creative block over the last few albums. Even hearing some of the new stuff live last March made me think the new album would be poor.

I'll give it a go. And if my initial impressions were right I'm suing you!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Otis Westinghouse

Here's a purchase waiting to happen. On the Mug's shopping list:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... c&n=507846

Sounds good for fans of this LP (never heard it myself, but I love Someone Saved My Life Tonight).
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Here's a purchase waiting to happen. On the Mug's shopping list:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... c&n=507846

Sounds good for fans of this LP (never heard it myself, but I love Someone Saved My Life Tonight).
I have the remastered CD edition of this, and it sounds fine to me - can't really see what they could have done to improve on it. One of EJ's more underrated albums.
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

I guess the selling point for this is that it includes the whole album played live in 75. I actually like Elton John a lot, we all know hes a bit of a drama queen, but musically speaking hes released a huge number of great albums, a lot of which are underrated - everything record up to and including Blue Moves, has a lot of good stuff on it. Ive never actually got into Captain Fantastic that much however - tho as Otis says, Someone Saved My Life is one of the best things he eved did, a very grand and moving song indeed.
echos myron like a siren
with endurance like the liberty bell
and he tells you of the dreamers
but he's cracked up like the road
and he'd like to lift us up, but we're a very heavy load
Otis Westinghouse

I must dig out my vinyl of Blue Moves and give it a whirl. I always loved Tonight. That song will evoke 1977 for me.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

Blue Moves evokes memories of me gradually dispossessing my sister of it. She got it for Christmas that year. I also stole Honky Chateau from her, which I think is my fave, along with CFATBDC. I notice this new one has House of Cards on it - I think it was the bside to Someone Saved??
Like me, the "g" is silent.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

I agree with WSS about the current CD being fine, but I'd love to hear the live stuff, and if it reproduces the elaborate packaging of the original album, all the better.

The thing that's great about Captain Fantastic is that it's an autobiographical concept record, and by the time you get to "We All Fall In Love Sometimes" you know it's about Elton and Bernie. It's the story of a friendship, a creative romance. Some of it sounds pretty dated now, but it's still great stuff, and very moving in places.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Picked up the latest disc by Richmond Fontaine, an alt-country (God I hate that term) group from Portland, Oregon. I was turned on to this by a few of the people on the Richard Hawley board, who are huge fans of their work. I'd never heard of them but must say that the new album from earlier this year, The Fitzgerald, is beautiful, stark and heartbreaking. Reminds me a little bit of Springsteen's Nebraska, with its portraits of desperation.

You'd think that this would be the sort of thing that the alternative music press in the States would be all over, but Pitchfork, for example, hasn't even bothered to review their two most recent albums (maybe that's a blessing).

PS - What's in the water in Portland, Oregon? Lots of great music coming out of there - M. Ward and The Decemberists to name two others. Then of course there's Elliott Smith.
Last edited by Who Shot Sam? on Wed Oct 19, 2005 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Who Shot Sam, you are a certified CD junkie :D
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

BlueChair wrote:Who Shot Sam, you are a certified CD junkie :D
I know. I really need to cut back - but it's one of the few things I spend money on.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Hey, some people actually buy clothes and food. Pfft... CDs are way more important to folks like us :D
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

BlueChair wrote:Hey, some people actually buy clothes and food. Pfft... CDs are way more important to folks like us :D
I let my wife do that. :) We call her "Sarge".

I'm useless at finances, so I just ask her how much she needs, give her that, then use the rest for stuff like CDs, books, stuff for the kids, etc.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Picked up the new Depeche Mode album, Playing The Angel. Not for me - Sarge is a fan.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Who Shot Sam? wrote:Picked up the new Depeche Mode album, Playing The Angel. Not for me - Sarge is a fan.

I'm a big fan of crap lyrics and Depeche Mode have made me cackle on many occasions...

"everything counts in large amounts" and "people are people, so why should it be, you and I should get along so awfully" are just two that spring to mind".
corruptio optimi pessima