Elvis 8-track

Post by johnfoyle »

On listserv a query about Elvis on 8-track prompted me to find these images -

ImageImage
ImageImage

Groovy!
bobster

Post by bobster »

Wow. I remember 8-tracks being pretty much a thing of the past by no later than 1975 or so!

I'll never forget that "CA-CHUNK" sound that would so often come right in the middle of a song!
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

oh my. i LOVED my 8-tracks.

somewhere i have the beatles xmas records that i copied from the radio very carefully onto my 8-tracks. wish i had those on cd, i really really do.

ka-CHUNK! ka-CHUNK!

(minus the ka-chunks, of course)
... name the stars and constellations,
count the cars and watch the seasons....
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

It was 1978 when the record store I worked at began to switch the 8 track display cabinets to cassette cabinets. It was good for our small, indie-"High Fidelity" store as we carried only three things: Records, Books, and Tapes. No paraphernalia. No posters. Records, books and tapes.

In the same amount of retail display space, we could display over twice the amount of inventory on cassette tape. But damn! if it didn't piss off some off our regulars for the next year, who assurred us on a daily basis that the cassette 'phase' would soon pass and that 8-Tracks would make a comeback.
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
elvicos01

Post by elvicos01 »

Two weeks ago I was at my mom's and my two kids asked me what these strange looking cassette's where. They had never seen 8-tracks before. I still have a 8 track recorder at that house, as well as a 8-track tape player for the car.

I left those eight tracks there, haven't looked at them in years, but I am sure I have at least one those 8 tracks you show by johnfoyle.

The only advantage of 8 track to cassette, is my cassette's sometimes where eaten by my car player. I don't think I ever lost an 8 track that way.
Why are we racing to be so old?
A rope leash

Eight tracks

Post by A rope leash »

I had all those 8-tracks back in the day. I'd like to have Taking Liberties in any form. I'd like to have my old Galaxie, too.

8-tracks were often eaten by their players. Many times two songs were played at once, especially on the car players. A folded-up matchbook wedged beside the case sometimes fixed that problem. 8-tracks died because 8-tracks sucked compared to cassettes.

8-track tapes can be rebuilt, and antique players are cheap.

Quadrophonic, even.