Are YOU Watching the Olympics?

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.

describe your viewing

glued to the tv 24/7--bob costas is my hero
No votes
I'm in it for the snacks
44%
Greco-Roman wrestling only
6%
what a stupid question! shut the fuck up!
6%
the what?
44%

Total votes: 16

mood swung

Are YOU Watching the Olympics?

Post by mood swung »

which best describes your Olympic spirit?
Like me, the "g" is silent.
Bob And Charlotte

Post by Bob And Charlotte »

Glad Michael Phelps (or something) didnt win all the medals...
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

I don't have a television, but I do like me some Olympics. I don't even care what sport it is...the other day I watched three games of women's volleyball between the US and China. I prefer watching it in other countries, though, as I couldn't care less which American athlete's mother is battling cancer.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Was it a coincidence that when the IOC have told the Greek organisers that they must start filling the stadia because of very very poor attendance figures, the Greeks win a Gold medal...

...especially as one of the favourites in the synchronised swimming hit his foot on the board when he dived. Amazing.

The answer my dear Mood is that I couldn't care less as the Olympics isn't my cup of Earl Grey.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
alexv

Post by alexv »

Miss BA, if you were watching in another country would they not be telling you about the cancer struggles of mothers of their athletes? Or is it your view that only american broadcasters find this kind of stuff newsworthy? I doubt that the strategy is an american invention or that its use is limited to this country. Or is your point simply that in another country (assuming you didn't speak the language) you would miss it altogether due to the language barrier and therefore end up enjoying the games more?
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

alexv, I watched the last Winter Olympics in England, and they treated it as a sports event. No maternal cancer struggles whatsoever. This could be a cultural difference, or it could be due to the fact that, as my superlatively uninterested boyfriend at the time informed me, England has close to zero athletes competing in the Winter Olympics.
Pov

Post by Pov »

miss buenos aires wrote:I don't have a television, but I do like me some Olympics. I don't even care what sport it is...the other day I watched three games of women's volleyball between the US and China. I prefer watching it in other countries, though, as I couldn't care less which American athlete's mother is battling cancer.
Women's beach volleyball is my new favorite sport :lol:
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Women's beach volleyball is my new favorite sport
You wanker.
signed with love and vicious kisses
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

my dear Mood
I like that. can I ask that from now on, everyone address me as My Dear Mood? As in, My Dear Mood, shut the fuck up!
Like me, the "g" is silent.
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

An Iranian Judo participant refused to fight an Isreali and was disqualified.

The US Basketball team was spanked by Puerto Rico in the opening round...by 15 points. For reasons that I won't go into, I really enjoyed that.

When the US medals are added up and they fall short of the expected total, I wonder who will be the first to link it to the failings of GW Bush.

Don't laugh. It has already been alluded to.

I think the increase in parity that I am perceiving is very, very good. I want the best athelete to win, even if from Mozambique and trouncing a competitor from Iowa. That is what it should be about.

Is Iraq still competing in soccer. I understand that they won their opening match against...Portugal? Is that true.
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
Bob And Charlotte

Post by Bob And Charlotte »

Yes it is... and the Brazilian soccer team isn´t at the Olympics at all! now that´s something
A rope leash

Olympia

Post by A rope leash »

There's a lot of great stuff on the Olympics at Cagle's cartoon index via Slate.com

I can't see the Olympics because NBC doesn't pick up here too good. But, I did happen to see some of the opening ceremonies, and I thought they were pretty cool.

The doping scandals are particularly juicy this time. Who are these Greeks that had a "motocycle accident". It's hilarious, in a way, but also just like real life. There's all kinds of laws against it, yet there is also a pervasive in-culture that promotes it.

Fascinating, Mr. Spock.

Continue surfing, Captain?

No, no, we'll wait here...
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

I prefer watching it in other countries, though, as I couldn't care less which American athlete's mother is battling cancer
There certainly is a lot less bombast over here. I don't miss the mind numbing graphics....but I've never really been a big fan of either the Summer or the Winter games.....snacks on the other hand are always terrific.

I am not a fan of the US Men's Basketball team - also wasn't a fan of the original dream team - it all just seems like a big marketing deal.

Why don't they allow pros in Olympic boxing?
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Prostitutes boxing!? Wow!
signed with love and vicious kisses
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

Isn't the Olympics for girls? It's just a an-ever-four-year- sequel to an original chick flick.
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

not that i'm unAmerican or nothin', but puerto rico spanking the us in basketball just cracked me up. as a long time pro basketball fan who has attended 100 games and finally totally gave up 6 or 7 years ago, they deserve it. i imagine they'll pull it out, but that is too bad. the evaporation of team play and deterioration of fundamental skills and the inability of coaches to control, guide and inspire as a result of the mentality of many if not most of today's players renders pro american basketball flat out comedic. it astounds me the game retains the fan base that it does.
I'm not concerned about the very poor.
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

Oh, yeah, I'm watching those young swimmer boys. The ones who wear the long, tight pants and nothing on top. I could watch them all day. Yum.
It's a radiation vibe I'm groovin' on
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Some of the swimmer girls are not bad, either.

Gee, seems like a lot of us watch it for one reason. :wink:
By the way, I remember East Germany women athletes in the 70's and 80's. Now, they were a real delight to watch at...

In fact I'm a big sports fan so I'm spending a lot of time in front of the box at the moment. What I'm happy about is that there appears to be stronger doping control than ever before and I hope - probably naively - that the competition will be clean and fair.
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

What the hell are you talking about?
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Where is Descartes when we really need him?

By the way, was he Greek. Or another French pussy boy.

It's official. The French did take the Gold in "Hide and Seek". Silver in "Team Tag". Bronze in "Flag Pole Sitting", now referred to "The David Blaine Event".

Uh-oh. I can feel that angry dementia creeping back over me. I better relax, take two "A Rope Leash" posts, and call myself in the morning.
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
A rope leash

Freedom Fries

Post by A rope leash »

OIL: Just hand it to the big guy in the middle. That's pro ball, baby!

NOISE: We're talking about the cleanest, most crystal-pure urine ever!

MR. AV: French bashing is so passe...instead of slogging though my posts...

Viva Chavez!
Tim(e)

Post by Tim(e) »

Ok, I'll play devil's advocate here... could there possibly be any correlation between the relatively poor performance (to date) by the US olympic team and the tighter drug controls?

Personally, I would love to see a games where athletes were encouraged to take as much of anything as they wanted... just to see what sort of performance can be achieved before a person either melts before our eyes or explodes (literally).
A rope leash

America the doobiful...

Post by A rope leash »

I agree with Tim(e). Legalize it, and bring it to the fore. I've always said that the best deterrent for drug use is to let the sober see first hand what the effects of drug abuse are. In this case, these drugs might enhance performance, but if we know who is taking them, well, we could put an asterisk by their names in the record books.

America is the largest consumer of recreational and performance- enhancing drugs and supplements, both legal and illegal. We are also the greatest civilization ever.

Well, we used to be anyway...

MR AV: I just re-read my earlier post.

>cringe<
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

I need to apologize for my post. That was supposed to appear after the post by WHAR where he said the Olympics was a sequel to a chick flick or whatever. Made no sense to me, so I asked what the hell he was talking about. Didn't realize until just now that there was a whole additional page of posts.

D'oh!
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Boy With A Problem wrote:Why don't they allow pros in Olympic boxing?
so lacklustre wrote:Prostitutes boxing!? Wow!
Well at least one of them in both cases is likely to be flat on their back :lol:

(and I'm sure there's a joke or 10 about being bashed around the ring!)
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?