Delivery Man - track listing?

Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Delivery Man - track listing?

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.elvis-costello.com/news/

Southern Delivery
Those in the know report the following about the upcoming Elvis Costello & The Imposters LP:

It will be out on The Lost Highway label, and called either 'The Delivery Man' or 'South' or 'Stop Me Before I Polka'.

It contains the following tracks (probably not in this order):
1. The Delivery Man
2. Country Darkness
3. Monkey To Man
4. Bedlam
5. Heart Shaped Bruise (w/Emmylou Harris)
6. Button My Lip
7. Needle Time
8. Nothing Clings Like Ivy
9. The Name of This This Is Not Love
10. There's A Story In Your Voice (w/ Lucinda Williams)
11. Either Side of The Same Town
12. The Judgement
13. The Scarlet Tide (w/Emmylou Harris)

Which means the Lincoln Center show on 7/15 included the entire album. At 13 tracks, this is shorter than his other "rock" albums of recent years, but comparable to his more ballad-heavy albums.

This leaves six potential outtakes that may show up as international bonus tracks or b-sides:
1. In Another Room
2. Suspect Your Tears
3. I'll Watch Out For You
4. Unwanted Number
5. Burnt Sugar (is so Bitter)
6. She's Pulling Out The Pin

(T.J. Young, Mike Bodayle, Conner Ratliff, John Foyle, Mike Hernandez and others contributed to this wildly speculative report.)
Branst

Post by Branst »

If that track list is right, that is going to be one hell of an album! The ones I really have my eye on are "The Delivery Man" "Scarlet Tide" & "Unwanted Number." I would love to hear studio versions of those three songs, especially the latter.
Pov

Post by Pov »

OMG. That looks like a great album. I'll have to buy 2 copies. :D
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Well, again, I stay anxiously awaiting this new album. I was actually considering lowering my caffeine intake so as not to add any more shaking to my daily activities. 8)

But I really did enjoy hearing Unwanted Number in Memphis at the Hi-Tone. It was a great song and I will be a bit disappointed if it really doesn't show up on the final cut of songs. Sigh.

But still. . . .the new album. . . . .
wardo68

Post by wardo68 »

Maybe if we're lucky he'll do another Cruel Smile sort of thing and put out a companion CD with leftover songs on it. (Then again, considering how often I don't listen to Cruel Smile...)
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Funny you should say that, I've actually had Cruel Smile in the van for a few days now. My four year-old nephew loves When I Was Cruel. I don't get it, but this is the first time I've listened to it several times over in a row.

But I think a comanion cd for Delivery Man, or whatever this project is called, would be a nice idea again.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

This album is going to blow away anything Elvis has done since All This Useless Beauty
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Did I happen to mention to anyone yet that I was REALLY excited about this album? :roll:
migdd

Post by migdd »

Spooky, I haven't been this excited about a new EC album since King Of America! :P :wink:
And I haven't heard band versions of any of the new songs yet! (Although, I'm anticipating a package in the mail any day now - Memphis and Oxford shows! After receiving that, I will probably be shaking until September 21!!!)
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

If this list is any indicator, methinks EC realised that the main problem with his last 'rock' album, WIWC, is that there is a great 45 minute album lost inside a 65 minute album. Vinyl limitations dictated that albums used to be always around 45 minutes long. The cd format, with its 80-minute limit, has allowed far too much overindulgence. Most of the great albums of the last few years have reverted back to the 45-minute limit. Good to Elvis has, hopefully, reached the same conclusion.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

The Rising is a perfect example of that. I hardly ever listen to it all at once. It's 73 minutes.
Sour Milk Cow

Post by Sour Milk Cow »

martinfoyle wrote:The cd format, with its 80-minute limit, has allowed far too much overindulgence. Most of the great albums of the last few years have reverted back to the 45-minute limit. Good to Elvis has, hopefully, reached the same conclusion.
I would agree in general-- most people can't sustain the quality for over an hour. And I think an argument can be made that WIWC is a little too long, but I think that is just a fluke of that particular record and the material he was presenting (some of those songs weren't the best he has to offer).

But in general, I think that EC is one of the few artists who can justifiably release long albums on a regular basis. Brutal Youth, for example, doesn't feel too long because the songs are so strong. By contrast, ATUB isn't long enough, and could have easily contained two or three extra songs. BY feels like it is the right length, while ATUB feels too short to me.

I agree that The Rising is too long, and I agree in general that most people add too much filler to CDs. But I think that EC writes too many great songs for him to adhere to the time limits of the old days. (Especially since it seems like the record companies won't let him put out records at the pace he did in the early days.)

I agree that the 6 songs that were left off should be released as an EP! I want to hear them!
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

Blue, you are on DRUGS! :D

This is going to be his best album EVER!!!! None of the others are even CLOSE!!!
Loving this board since before When I Was Cruel.
John

Post by John »

I can't wait for this album. Either Side Of The Same Town for a start sounded brilliant in concert last year. It can't be long before we here some official news - track listing, tour information, maybe a single release in advance?
I just hope he doesn't carry out his threat not to return to the UK. The dates that have sneaked out so far are for the US, Australia and Japan.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

(T.J. Young, Mike Bodayle, Conner Ratliff, John Foyle, Mike Hernandez and others contributed to this wildly speculative report.)
So should it be taken as the upcoming tracklist or not; how 'in the know' is the information? It'd be good to have those last three included, but I also want more new tracks. I don't care how long the album is, the more they pack in the better... call some of it 'bonus material' if they must.
Pov

Post by Pov »

Sour Milk Cow wrote: I would agree in general-- most people can't sustain the quality for over an hour. And I think an argument can be made that WIWC is a little too long, but I think that is just a fluke of that particular record and the material he was presenting (some of those songs weren't the best he has to offer).

I agree that The Rising is too long, and I agree in general that most people add too much filler to CDs. But I think that EC writes too many great songs for him to adhere to the time limits of the old days. (Especially since it seems like the record companies won't let him put out records at the pace he did in the early days.)

I agree that the 6 songs that were left off should be released as an EP! I want to hear them!
Wow, I agree too, both about WIWC and The Rising. :D Both records could have used a haircut. However, I imagine we would all probably disagree if we started discussing WHICH songs should have been left off.

I think certain artists, like Springsteen, to their credit feel that they are not giving fans their money's worth unless they fill up as much of the CD as possible. Unfortunately, this tends to result in some mediocre filler material being included. OTOH, I've heard complaints about recent albums by groups like The Shins and The Hives that top out at under 35 minutes.

As far as the six songs left off The Delivery Man, I would bet my house that we will see those released officially in one form or another, probably on a separate EP. EC would not pass up the opportunity to make a few more bucks on the material as long as it doesn't suck.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

John wrote:I just hope he doesn't carry out his threat not to return to the UK. The dates that have sneaked out so far are for the US, Australia and Japan.
Elvis told me at Bournemouth that he would be touring the UK later in the year.

Paddy also said Elvis would be on Later with Jools Holland so I would assume the two will tie in at some stage.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
John

Post by John »

Thanks VG. We have the best information on this forum, even directly from Elvis himself!
It was as much of the alphabet as I knew how to use.
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

Either Side Of the Same Town is wonderful!
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

9. The Name of This This Is Not Love
10. There's A Story In Your Voice (w/ Lucinda Williams)
11. Either Side of The Same Town
12. The Judgement
13. The Scarlet Tide (w/Emmylou Harris)

HOLY FUNK I'M GOING TO EXPLODE WITH HAPPINESS AND ANTICIPATION!!!!!!GSKLG KLAWRWSGHWKG 'WER GFW'Hjthkjdjgejgldjg;jdgjaeggjrgjioghhbugh
Loving this board since before When I Was Cruel.
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

According to HMV UK, this is the correct running order:

1. Button My Lip
2. Country Darkness
3. There's A Story In Your Voice
4. Either Side Of The Same Town
5. Bedlam
6. The Delivery Man
7. Monkey To Man
9. The Name Of This Thing Is Not Love
10. Heart Shaped Bruise
11. Needle Time
12. The Judgement
13. The Scarlet Tide

link:
http://www1.hmv.co.uk/hmvweb/displayPro ... sku=227678
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

Doing up a rough burn of these tracks from various bootlegs, it clocks in at around 58 minutes. I presume these live versions are works in progress. With the guidance of Dennis Herring, the studio versions should be a bit more compact. So we should get a lean 50 minute, or less, masterpiece.

Here's the cduniverse link
http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.a ... =199724972
costellopunk

Post by costellopunk »

i was hoping speak darkly my angel might finally be released where i could actually get a hold of it with this album...other than that i'm pumped.
-it takes a long time but god dies too/but not before he sticks it to you-
migdd

Post by migdd »

Great track listing!!! Where's She's Pulling Out the Pin?
The Gentleman

Post by The Gentleman »

costellopunk wrote:i was hoping speak darkly my angel might finally be released where i could actually get a hold of it with this album...other than that i'm pumped.
It might-- that same day, in fact!

Early word on IL SOGNO (the classical piece that will be released at the same time as THE DELIVERY MAN) was that it'd include a bonus disc featuring EC's performance with the Metropole Orchestra in Holland from a month ago or so. Among the songs he played with them include "Speak Darkly My Angel", so it's certainly possible it could appear on the set.

Of course, it's been a *long* time since we heard anything about this bonus disc (aside from a brief mention in a recent Badlands ad), so I'm not completely convinced the bonus disc is still planned.