The New Ron Sexsmith Album - The Thread If You've Got It

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
DrJ

The New Ron Sexsmith Album - The Thread If You've Got It

Post by DrJ »

Lotta good albums out today: Ron, Morrissey, Ash and Graham Coxon.

I have the Ron CD but haven't progressed from the looking at to listening to phase. But the single came on the radio the other day (yes, really) and it's a great as usual.

So let the Sexsmith Appreciation Society (S.A.S.) begin... I'll return when I've actually listened to it.

DrJ
Tlentifini Maarhaysu
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

I picked up the Morissey album this afternoon, looking forward to hearing it. I thought I was really cute in ordering a 2nd hand copy of the Ron album from amazon US dirt cheap-for a reason, it was sent at surface rate, so I'll be lucky to get it by christmas. Whatever, more time to get to know the Mozter album ahead of the sold out Dublin Castle gig. Any sign of Ron coming here? Hopefully he's not emulating Elvis in that regard as well.
Smallfaces1

ron

Post by Smallfaces1 »

yes i have the new ron smith album and i love it! wishing wells being my fav, but its all great! its cool have ed harcourt on it too!
"Do you remember rick astley? he had a big fat hit it was ghastly, he said i'm never gonna give you up or let you down, well i'm here to tell you that dick's a clown"
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Was just wondering if anyone had heard it. The vibe on the official RS site (on which you might see an occasional OW post) is pretty positive. Ron even pops up once in a while to discuss it, and he seems pretty happy. One person who I'd buy unconditionally, cos you know it will have some genius on it that you will love forever.

Unlike Moz. Sounds like the 7 year gap between his last pile of tosh (Southpaw Grammar?) and this has made for very little improvement.

Martin, you respect Alexis Petridis as much as I. C'mon, surely the Streets LP has gotta be more relevant/worth hearing than You Are The Quarry. I've only heard Irish Heart, English Blood, and it's dull and unappealing. And AP wants to love it, just like I do. As he says, the times couldn't be more favourable, and well I recall the reviews of Royal Albert Hall Sept '02 (the same night as EC at the Hammy Apollo, if memory serves), which made it sound like the new songs were great, and if only he had a deal. Let's see what it's like on J Ross tonight, but I suspect the main reaction will be how it serves to underline just how great The Smiths were.

Still worth seeing live, though, no denying.

Been playing Your Arsenal a lot of late. Apart from the queasiness induced by National Front Disco, it's fabulous. Some great songs, and the mighty Mick Ronson at the helm. He should have retired there and then.

Much more positive (4 star as opposed to 2) review of the Coxon LP.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

Otis - actually Maladjusted was Mozzers last album and gets a bum rap as far as Im concerned. The title track is great, "..you stalk the house in a low cut blouse". It also contains some of Mozzers best ever songs like Alma Matters, Roys Keen, Ambitous Outsiders, Wide to Reciece, Trouble Loves Me - it also has the truly terrible "Sorrow Will Come in the End" - but the album as a whole is far from a pile of tosh.
Otis Westinghouse

All his LPs will have their moments. Roy's Keen is a desperately silly title for a song. Quite fascinating seeing him tonight, it was painful watching how uncomfortable he seemed in the interview. Why did he do it? he looked like he was absolutely hating the experience. A very hilarious contrast with the total emptiness of every single second of Dale Winton's bit. Moz is such a unique being, and I admire the fact that he's never stopped being himself, so he still seems like a sullen teenager. The utter brilliance of Every Day Is Like Sunday against the limitedness (and bollocks lyrics) of Irish Heart, English Blood ('is what I'm made of, There is no-one in this world I'm afraid of'...) does seem to show he's a spent force in terms of new stuff. I'd say he'll be great live. Band sounds great, his voice is still fine, he has many great songs. If it wasn't sold out, I'd try and arrange my Irish (heart, English blood) holiday to be in Dublin on that Saturday.
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

We dont get the Jonathon Woss show here in the colonies so didnt see it.

Roys Keen is perhaps my fave Moz tune of the moment - the best song ever about a window cleaner ... desperately silly? Defintely - which I guess is why I love it so.

Surely Irish Heart isnt the best of the new stuff though?
Otis Westinghouse

It's just the lame pun on Man Utd (and sometime Irish team) football hero Roy Keane. A song called 'First of the Gang' on YATQ that sounds very promising. Will wait for a full assessment from Monsieur Foyle.
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

The Mozza album is a bit patchy, but when its good its great. That's just my initial impression. In time, I'm sure it'll all sound great. I love the way its sequenced like an old vinyl album, 2 fine 6 song sequences. It'll all sound even better live. Now, if only that cheap copy of the Ron album would arrive.....