What are you listening to right now?

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Massive Attack: Mezzanine

What is it about these guys that are so compelling. I have tried other 'trip-hop' recordings, and nothing holds a match to these guys. Unless anyone wants to suggest something. (I have tried a few CD's from The Thievery Corporation, and while I like them a lot, they aren't in league with Massive Attack).
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
Extreme Honey

Post by Extreme Honey »

bambooneedle wrote:
invisible Pole wrote:Bamboo, the comparative adjective "weaker" is what distorted your message/question. I'm sure if you had asked "Can you cite any obviously weak song on the album?" there wouldn't have been any confusion.

IP - That wouldn't have been confusing in itself, but it does have another meaning.

SMM - Yes, let's drop it. :roll:

Mr. Misery - I can't speak for posters or their thought processes but I fail to see a discrepancy. Would you (or someone else) mind pointing it out? I just would like to know what it is for my own information.

My current favourite is Promise To You Girl. The album is very easy to listen to all the way through, a real album. About 7 minutes leaner than the last two. What I've been noticing lately is his lead guitar playing style. The hofner bass and piano are trademarks, but there are so many other touches via an array of instruments that I keep finding attributed to him... very impressive.
-------
I'm trying to digest this album but it's not going well. Maybe I just wasn't cu tout for this motown soul thing.
Preacher was a talkin' there's a sermon he gave,
He said every man's conscience is vile and depraved,
You cannot depend on it to be your guide
When it's you who must keep it satisfied
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Hard to describe this one - it's actually a two-EP set. The first one, The Novelist, has echoes of '20s-'30s jazz and old vaudeville music. Some of the nostalgic, lo-fi elements remind me of M. Ward's Transistor Radio, but the parallels end there.

The second disc, Walking Without Effort is much more of a stright-ahead folk-pop album - echoes of Leonard Cohen, with some Burt Bacharach-style horns thrown in.

Really good stuff.

PS - I've just realized what The Novelist reminds me of - Rufus Wainwright, with much less slick production. Lots of the same music hall elements though, similar voice too.
Last edited by Who Shot Sam? on Tue Nov 22, 2005 1:58 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Bad Ambassador

Post by Bad Ambassador »

Who Shot Sam? wrote:Image

Hard to describe this one - it's actually a two-EP set. The first one, The Novelist, has echoes of '20s-'30s jazz and old vaudeville music. Some of the nostalgic, lo-fi elements remind me of M. Ward's Transistor Radio, but the parallels end there.

The second disc, Walking Without Effort is much more of a stright-ahead folk-pop album - echoes of Leonard Cohen, with some Burt Bacharach-style horns thrown in.

Really good stuff.

PS - I've just realized what The Novelist reminds me of - Rufus Wainwright, with much less slick production. Lots of the same music hall elements though, similar voice too.
I'd been toying with this simply cos it looked good and a little like the cover of 'Another Side Of Bob Dylan'. Plus, it's on my record label of the year, Secretly Canadian, always a good sign. After reading this I got a couple of tracks from emusic.com with this month's allowed downloads and have since ordered it. Looking forward to its arrival.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Bad Ambassador wrote:I'd been toying with this simply cos it looked good and a little like the cover of 'Another Side Of Bob Dylan'. Plus, it's on my record label of the year, Secretly Canadian, always a good sign. After reading this I got a couple of tracks from emusic.com with this month's allowed downloads and have since ordered it. Looking forward to its arrival.
I think you'll like it. I read that he is working on a new album, expected to be released some time in early 2006. Little hints of Ron Sexsmith here and there on Walking Without Effort too. OK, enough "spot the influence" - I'll stop now! ;-)
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Oh no - I'm hooked already! Another singer-songwriter I'll have to shell out on. Is it possible to have too much good stuff to listen to? Not to mention the ocean of the Zimmerverse. No wonder I never listen to any Costello any more...

The refs are top notch though. The three Rs of Ron-Rufus-Richard? One of the first times I was aware of Rufus was hearing Vibrate on the radio and thinking it was Ron. Now of course they sound poles apart, but there are similarities in tone and woozy phrasing.

Like the cover too.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

The Very Best of Richard Marx, vol 4.
Otis Westinghouse

Son of Groucho?
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

This morning:

mood swung

Post by mood swung »

Jack Johnson, Inaudible Melodies. With Flake on replay.

it seems to me that maybe pretty much always means no so don't tell me you might just let it go
Like me, the "g" is silent.
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

Shit be on with John Hiatt's great, great, GREAT Master of Disaster.

Y'all need to get your John Hiatt on if you haven't done so already.
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

Air - Moon Safari. My eldest son bought it for me for my birthday - they are a French band. So far im enjoying it - its pretty laid back - apparently 'music to chill by' so im informed!
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

Graham Parker - Your Country, because yesterday I heard a Ray Davies song called Thanksgiving Day (I think) and I became convinced that it was Graham Parker's song; of course I was wrong. GP's is Almost Thanksgiving Day. And, ya know, it is.

We sit and polish our wedding rings...
Otis Westinghouse

Enjoyed the use of Damien Rice's Delicate at the end of Lost tonight (anyone see it? Cracker - Jin knows at last that Sun speaks English, but how did Lock know that Michael's boy burned the boat?), so returned to a recording of him at the LSO St Luke's from a year back off BBC. Same lovely location as the excellent Gillian Welch, also off BBC4 (and on dimeadozen). haven't played O in a long time, but loved hearing the songs again. Great songs, great gig.

And now back to Dylan - very nice Visions of Johanna from Brixton last night, with thanks to Martin for link.
crash8_durham

Post by crash8_durham »

Who Shot Sam? wrote:This morning:

thats awesome

but i am listening to diana kralls new christmas cd. is that acceptable?
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

Gillibeanz wrote:Air - Moon Safari. My eldest son bought it for me for my birthday - they are a French band. So far im enjoying it - its pretty laid back - apparently 'music to chill by' so im informed!
I read once that is was the best CD ever to throw a dinner party by, and so far, I haven't found a better one...
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

but i am listening to diana kralls new christmas cd. is that acceptable?

as long as you're not gazing rapturously at the cover. :lol:
crash8_durham

Post by crash8_durham »

oh.............crap
Bad Ambassador

Post by Bad Ambassador »

Listening to a couple of tracks from the new Teddy Thompson album available on his website. Very, very Ron Sexsmith with the vocals and Rufus-lite for the backing music. Anyone have further insight?
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

There IS no discrepancy, Mr. Misery. You CANNOT point it out. NOBODY can point it out.

Pole - the comparative adjective 'weaker' does not distort the message/question - it is part of a rather conspicuous compound noun, 'obviously weaker song'-- ie. "can you cite any ONE OF THEM on the album?"
-----
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Bad Ambassador wrote:Listening to a couple of tracks from the new Teddy Thompson album available on his website. Very, very Ron Sexsmith with the vocals and Rufus-lite for the backing music. Anyone have further insight?
I know that he's Richard Thompson's son. Think he's been touring with Martha as well.
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Boo, would it cost you anything to let it go and say something like "You know what, given the context I said it I admit I might have been misunderstood." ?

If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
Otis Westinghouse

Who Shot Sam? wrote:
Bad Ambassador wrote:Listening to a couple of tracks from the new Teddy Thompson album available on his website. Very, very Ron Sexsmith with the vocals and Rufus-lite for the backing music. Anyone have further insight?
I know that he's Richard Thompson's son. Think he's been touring with Martha as well.
Indeed, caught the last three or so songs of him live with her, and he was on Later last week. Live he seemed quite good. Nothing quite distinctive enough about him, but well constructed songs, nice voice, one song a bit bland, other two a bit livelier. Nice sense of humour. Wished I'd seen the whole set. Had no idea who he is so was in no hurry to arrive! LP has been getting good reviews here from what I've seen.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

I'm a walkin' down the street, like Lucky LaRue
got my hands in my pocket, thinking 'bout you...

that would be John Prine's fabulous Ain't Hurtin' Nobody.

there's roosters laying chickens, and chickens laying eggs
farm machinery eatin' people's arms and legs
I ain't hurtin' nobody, I ain't hurtin' no one