What are you listening to right now?

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

Have you heard this Otis?

"Ways to Cry" is just about my favourite Martyn song at the moment, and its a sublime album all the way through.
echos myron like a siren
with endurance like the liberty bell
and he tells you of the dreamers
but he's cracked up like the road
and he'd like to lift us up, but we're a very heavy load
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

No, nor do I know that song. I only have and know Solid Air, natch, Grace and Danger, Bless The Weather and now One World (which just keeps getting better, and the Deluxe bonus is fab too). Would this make a good next move? What year? My favourite songs of his are pretty obvious: Solid air, May You Never, his cover of Don't Think Twice, Couldn't Love You More and, top of the list, Sweet Little Mystery. Listening to OW (good initials!) has put his great cover of Johnny Too Bad in my head, although I haven't heard it for a while. 'Sublime' is the adjective that most frequently applies to his best stuff - he achieves it on every level. More recos definitely welcome.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Bad Ambassador

Post by Bad Ambassador »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:
You seem to be doing lots of duplicate buying in vinyl. Aficionado! I'm jealous.
I try not to, but I get suckered in for one reason or another. With The Good, The Bad & The Queen, I wanted the CD+DVD edition, but also the gatefold vinyl, as I knew it was a fantastic record. (I've also got the vinyl promo of the album, but that's simply my obsession with all things Albarn coming into play)
With Winehouse it was for sound reasons. The Arcade Fire was partly for sound reasons, and partly because the vinyl got delayed, I got impatient and thus ended up with the limited CD and the vinyl.
As with TGTB&TQ the same occurred with Wilco. I'd ordered the vinyl + CD edition from the US, but then a CD+DVD set was announced, containing a fairly lengthy (and as it turns out, excellent) DVD and once again I was suckered.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

The free album downloads that are often included with the vinyl make it an increasingly attractive option. The quality of the downloads have improved and most of the major US indie labels offer high-quality MP3s as part of the package now - Merge, Matador, SubPop. This doesn't seem to have caught on in the UK, but will soon I imagine. The Wilco vinyl included a complete CD of the album as well.

So for a little bit more money you're getting superior packaging, a better sonic experience (usually), and losing nothing in terms of portability on an MP3 player or iPod.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Otis Westinghouse

And you get to relive your youth! I haven't bought any vinyl since, I guess, 1984 or so. If I get a system worthy of my Linn Sondek, I'd be very tempted to buy again - fascinating how the latest technology is reinvigorating the older one, which was meant to be obsolete by now. Surely, though, further progress along the lines of SACD/5.1 will deliver audio quality beyond anything vinyl can deliver.

Haven't heard of this in the UK, but will look out for it. So in the US are teenagers getting into buying vinyl?
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Haven't heard of this in the UK, but will look out for it. So in the US are teenagers getting into buying vinyl?
It's hard to tell how widespread it is, but Insound, one of the larger independent stores, has an awful lot of stuff on vinyl and much of it sells out quickly. And I'm seeing a lot more albums being offered immediately in both CD and LP formats.

There's something wonderful about its that goes beyond the sound - the big artwork, gatefold covers, lyric sheets, etc. I got a Technics turntable with an Ortofon cartridge last year. Having good equipment is important. The same records sound mediocre on a belt-driven turntable.
Mechanical Grace

Post by Mechanical Grace »

The sound of my sheepdog's incessant, ringing bark. Jaaaaysus. What is up with her today?
Otis Westinghouse

So what drives the Technics? Linn is belt-driven, it would appear, with a "'suspended' belt-driven platter":

http://www.patricktaylor.com/linn-sondek-lp12

It's all a bit over the top, isn't it? What about cleaning the vinyl? I have an ancient 'de-ioniser' felt rectangle thing that you put water in, but only a little seems to soak the record, leaving a visible staining and impairing sound quality! A friend swears by his vinyl washing-machine, bought as a kit to assemble of eBay, apparently. He says it returns the vinyl to a pristine state, apart from scartches. Sounds promising. If I did go back to my vinyl, it would have ingrained dirt, especially after all our building work, the dust from which seems to permeate eveyrthing.

So these MP3 downloads, you get a unique code, presumably, and do they download once on that code and then go away? Or can we start a new 'free LP downloads' thread here?
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

The Technics is a "direct drive" turntable...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct-drive_turntable

This is more or less what mine looks like:

I'm sure there are many fine belt-drive turntables. The one I was using for comparison was a cheap Sony model, not the Linn.

I haven't had to give much thought to cleaning my vinyl yet. I'd be curious to see if Bad Ambassador has any suggestions as to best methods, etc.

I like your MP3 download idea. For a few of the albums I have it is a one-time download. For others, the record company gives you three bites at the cherry and even encourages you to share with friends if you like. I've sent a few download codes BlueChair's way, but probably have a few more left. I will check on it tomorrow.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

The worst thing that I've ever had to clean off vinyl was wine. Don't know whether there are any great secrets to it, I just gently used a sponge and warm soapy water and then gave a good rinse under the tap without wetting the centre and then let it dry well.

Btw re Tweeter And The Monkey Man - it seems that Bruce may have written Part Man, Part Monkey in reaction to it just a few years later...

They prosecuted some poor sucker in these United States
For teaching that man descended from the apes
They coulda settled that case without a fuss or fight
If they'd seen me chasin' you, sugar, through the jungle last night
They'da called in that jury and a one two three said
Part man, part monkey, definitely

Well the church bell rings from the corner steeple
Man in a monkey suit swears he'll do no evil
Offers his lover's prayer but his soul lies
Dark and driftin' and unsatisfied
Well hey bartender, tell me whaddaya see
Part man, part monkey, looks like to me

Well the night is dark, the moon is full
The flowers of romance exert their pull
We talk awhile, my fingers slip
I'm hard and crackling like a whip

Well did God make man in a breath of holy fire
Or did he crawl on up out of the muck and mire
Well the man on the street believes what the bible tells him so
Well you can ask me, mister, because I know
Tell them soul-suckin' preachers to come on down and see
Part man, part monkey, baby that's me
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

Inside Out is from 1973 Otis.
echos myron like a siren
with endurance like the liberty bell
and he tells you of the dreamers
but he's cracked up like the road
and he'd like to lift us up, but we're a very heavy load
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

"Going To A Town" by Rufus Wainwright. Is the rest of the album this good?
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Bad Ambassador

Post by Bad Ambassador »

I use a fairly basic carbon fibre brush. It cost £5 from Amazon. Seems to do the trick.
Otis Westinghouse

BlueChair wrote:"Going To A Town" by Rufus Wainwright. Is the rest of the album this good?
surely it's Bad Amb's role to tell us?!? I wish I effing knew - I ordered it off CD-WOW on June 6 and not despatched yet. They had some big warehouse fire, must have buggered things up as they're never this slow. Generally been very happy throughout the years now I've been using them. It's had good reviews. Typically overblown and larger than life. Going To A Town is good and memorable, and I believe many of the things on it are too.

I'm listening to Sky Blue Sky, having got it for Father's Day. Excellent, on first listen. Jeff's voice isn't grating, the feel and arrangements are spot on, and there's some of that unimprovable Wilco-patented guitar sound, e.g. at the end of Impossible Germany, familiar from A Ghost Is Born. I'm going to enjoy playing this record lots. I'm very into understatement right now (so probably just as well Rufus hasn't arrived), it's the John Martyn effect. Revisiting Grace and Danger again, just fantastic. Hurt In Your Heart, for example.
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Perfect for a soft, sunny, breezy Sou Cal Fathers Day afternoon by the pool with my wife and daughter...

"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

"If You Were in My Movie" - Suzanne Vega

She's playing around here soon--unfortunately, that night I'll be teaching people how to take the GRE. Oh well.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Now that song is stuck in my head, which I think it tends to do.

Bad Ambassador

Post by Bad Ambassador »

BlueChair wrote:"Going To A Town" by Rufus Wainwright. Is the rest of the album this good?
Yes! Although don't expect to love it on the first couple of plays. If I'm honest, the first couple of plays left me cold, if not a little displeased with it. I didn't feel it lived up to his high standards, but thankfully I stuck with it. Of particular use when sticking with it, is the deluxe edition with the bonus DVD on which he explains each track. Since it clicked I've really grown to love it. 'Tiergarten', 'Sanssouci' and 'Nobody's Off The Hook' are current favourites, although I don't think there's a duff track on it. That said, 'Going To A Town' isn't necessarily representative.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Dig The New Breed - The Jam
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Otis Westinghouse

You surprise me, Verb!

Sounds like Roofy has been hanging in Berlin - Tiergarten park and Sanssouci palace.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

My favorite Stones album...

"Under My Thumb" one of Mick's best vocal performances ever, with that beautifully phlegmy rasp. "It's Not Easy" never fails to raise a smile - "Got me runnin' like a cat in a thunderstorm..."
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Haven't heard the long version of Out Of Time on that yet, only the shorter single version and the godawful strings version from Metamorphosis. I have the US Aftermath (SACD). But if I'm not wrong it just repeats itself and there's nothing too revelatory toward the end? Great song. Also, What To Do, but will get that with More Hot Rocks.

rollingstones.com gave me headaches when I was trying to sort out what RS songs belonged where, as they promote their US catalogue and don't acknowledge the original UK versions of the early albums. They lost their early period UK copyrights to Abkco, so as far as they're concerned they never existed and still don't.

Just put on Time Is On My Side (organ intro version). I like the vocal performance on this one better. Makes the other one seem a bit too studied (eg. in the way he pronounces 'Time' with more vocal inflections).
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Their discography is a bit of a mess. It's the UK version I have. "Out of Time" just goes on in the same way on the Aftermath (non-single) version. Not that I mind. :)

Listening to this now. Don't know how I managed to miss this last year. Beautiful album...

Otis Westinghouse

I have 'Out Of Time' completely on my brain right now, even though I haven't heard it in a while. How many other songs do you know with the word 'obsolete' in them?
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Not many, not many at all. Only Phil Lynott's Tattoo (Giving It All Up For Love):

"Oh, she has a unique technique
For making me obsolete, complete"