What are you listening to right now?

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

selfmademug wrote:Not bad! The answers are:

1. Patrick
2. Guy-at-Joke-Shop, Spongebob
3. Spongebob (in his stand-up routine, after his Squirrel-denigration peiod)

There are some great manistream cartoons out there right now. It's kind of shocking!
My daughter likes "Teen Titans". Not too bad - Raven is kind of a hoot. Also has an ace theme song.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Who Shot Sam? wrote:My daughter likes "Teen Titans". Not too bad - Raven is kind of a hoot. Also has an ace theme song.
I've sung the praises of Teen Titans elsewhere on this board. There are some great meta-episodes (the one with the Union Jack Villain esp) that are hugely clever in terms of mimicing graphics and visual styles (e.g. suddenly things are all Peter Max's Yellow Submarine, then another minute, something else). When we hear the beginning of that theme song (Puffy AmiYumi, Hi Hi!) the boy and I always shout out our guess about whether it will be in Japanese or English.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

selfmademug wrote:
Who Shot Sam? wrote:My daughter likes "Teen Titans". Not too bad - Raven is kind of a hoot. Also has an ace theme song.
I've sung the praises of Teen Titans elsewhere on this board. There are some great meta-episodes (the one with the Union Jack Villain esp) that are hugely clever in terms of mimicing graphics and visual styles (e.g. suddenly things are all Peter Max's Yellow Submarine, then another minute, something else). When we hear the beginning of that theme song (Puffy AmiYumi, Hi Hi!) the boy and I always shout out our guess about whether it will be in Japanese or English.
That Union Jack episode was one of my faves. They're never afraid to get a little psychedelic. "Bunny Raven" was also pretty far out there, as was the one with that burger restaurant. Good harmless fun if you ask me. My wife's not crazy about all the fighting, but I was obsessed with Batman when I was a kid and that featured plenty of violence.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

This morning, I'm mostly chilling out with Frank...

"Don't Like Goodbyes" and "I'm A Fool To Want You" - majestic. Tons of other great stuff on here as well ("In The Wee Small Hours", "I've Got The World On A String", "I've Got You Under My Skin").
Bad Ambassador

Post by Bad Ambassador »

Mr. Average wrote:
John Coltrane/Johnny Hartman. No title. Six songs only, any one of which carries the record to another level. Less than 30 minutes of some of the most wonderful music.
Heard a copy of this at the weekend and was impressed. Have just received confirmation that the SACD of this is on its way, along with a bundle of other bits, from Tower's US website. Look forward to it.
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

My word, does this bring back memories, mostly of living in a cold flat in Hanger Lane (just down the road from the Hoover Factory as I recall), being constantly pissed, chain smoking and leaping about to "My Favourite Dress" and "Shatner".
echos myron like a siren
with endurance like the liberty bell
and he tells you of the dreamers
but he's cracked up like the road
and he'd like to lift us up, but we're a very heavy load
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

"Oh you know her, Miss Groupie Supreme!"

"Rip Her To Shreds" - great tune. :)
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

the Australian Nick Lowe. somebody out there likes me.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

What a catchy song !!!
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Nic Harcourt has Robbie Robertson on his show today, discussing and spinning some of the selections from the new The Band box set, the "Raging Bull" soundtrack and his two early Geffen albums, which will soon be re-issued (loved the first one, not so familiar with the second). Definitely worth a listen if you're a fan:

http://kcrw.org/show/mb
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

Dean Martin - Standing On The Corner (Watching All The Girls Go By)

Dean is the cat's meow. (or is it the cat's pajamas?)
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Morrissey's Viva Hate. I was writing recently about buying a Durutti Column CD and of course Vini Reilly guests in a major way on this LP. See this for more details about the man and the session work:

http://www.partypeoplemovie.com/legend_ ... icle_id=87

Elsewhere he has spoken of the cheek that the songs are credited to Moz/Street, but he did a lot of compositional work on them too, in particular Late Nigh Maudlin Street, which is largely his creation musically (with some trademark echoed guitar work). He isn't bitter about it, and still speaks to Moz, but is keen to set the record straight.

Durutti Column are playing at Ronnie Scott's on Sun Dec 4. Boy I'd love to go to that, but just can't. Dang.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Otis Westinghouse

Same singer, but now I'm checking out a torrented download of The Smiths on their last US tour, 28 Aug '86 at Irvine Meadows, Laguna Hills, CA. Good quality. Amazing setlist. Opens with Please, Please, Please and ends with I Know It's Over (though the final song Bigmouth is missing from the bootleg). Check out this fabulously detailed site for details on this and every other gig they played:

http://www.passionsjustlikemine.com/smiths-gi8607us.htm

I had to go straight to the last song to hear the moment described where Moz lays into an overly zealous security guard for being a 'stupid idiot'. Amazing indeed. Any Bit Torrent-using Smiths fans are warmly recommended to check this out.

The same website also informs me that the Birmingham University Sept '83 gig that I chose not to go to cos I though Moz was a mouthy tosser at that point was free! Not only did I miss the best band of the 80s on their white-hot first national tour, I wouldn't have paid in. Can I relive my life, please?
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

I have this too Otis , its called "Thank Your Lucky Stars", and its great.
I also have a wonderful wonderful Morrissey bootleg from Malmo in Sweden on the 2002 tour with "Alsatian Cousin" and "Crashing Bores" and "Meat is Murder" that is just miraculous - far far better than the recent Earls Court offical live record.
echos myron like a siren
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

oh yeah, currently listening to "Magnet and Steel" by Walter Egan on endless repeat. I love this song.
echos myron like a siren
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

Blinking Lights (etc) by the Eels has been spinning a lot again lately, as well as Lou Reed's old Growing Up In Public and New Sensations LPs that are both considered to be among his worst but I like a whole lot. Funny Lou is underrated. (So Alone off the former and Turn To Me off the latter are two examples)
What this world needs is more silly men.
Otis Westinghouse

Mike Boom wrote:I have this too Otis , its called "Thank Your Lucky Stars", and its great.
I also have a wonderful wonderful Morrissey bootleg from Malmo in Sweden on the 2002 tour with "Alsatian Cousin" and "Crashing Bores" and "Meat is Murder" that is just miraculous - far far better than the recent Earls Court offical live record.
Bit Torrent tends not to bother with the bootleg names, so it's fun to discover them! Must check out that '02 bootleg (if on dimeadozen).

Next up, a Bowie '76 recording. Very exciting this, cos although I have many images of the Thin White Duke in his black waistcoat and slicked back hair implanted in my visual memory, I've never heard anything from it. Obviously you get a strong sense of '74 and '78 from the official releases and I have bootleg stuff of those too, but '76 is an exciting prospect:

David Bowie - Vancouver Station - 02-02-1976 rehearsals - SBD

STATION TO STATION
SUFFRAGETTE CITY
WAITING FOR THE MAN
WORD ON A WING
STAY
TVC 15
SISTER MIDNIGHT
LIFE ON MARS?
FIVE YEARS
PANIC IN DETROIT
FAME
CHANGES
THE JEAN GENIE
QUEEN BITCH
REBEL REBEL

BASSMAN'S DAVID BOWIE MAIN PAGE:
Probably a copy of RAWMOONREHEARSALS released in 2000 but this time in a digipack cover.
The Jean Genie is missing.
RAWMOONREHEARSALS:
A splendid Japanese release of the complete dress rehearsal for the 1976 tour.
This rehearsal has been available on vinyl and on CD before, but not in full,
and not in this superior sound quality! Well, compared to earlier releases,
this is in excellent sound quality, but let's say it's at least very good. A true must!
Otis Westinghouse

Mike Boom wrote:I also have a wonderful wonderful Morrissey bootleg from Malmo in Sweden on the 2002 tour with "Alsatian Cousin" and "Crashing Bores" and "Meat is Murder" that is just miraculous - far far better than the recent Earls Court offical live record.
By the way, weren't you there, King Hoarse?
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

Nope, on tour. (as I always seem to be when any of the Wainwrights are within driving distance too, btw...will book a Ryan Air flight to the UK next year if this doesn't change)
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

I'm not sure if there are any Echo & the Bunnymen fans on this board, but their latest one, Siberia - which I'm listening to now - is a very good album.
Though lyrics are sometimes a bit corny, the album is loaded with great hooks, and Ian McCulloch's inimitable vocal style together with Will Sargeant's guitar playing will sure make you happy.
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
Otis Westinghouse

Good idea, King. Rufus on tour here this month.

Smiths - I Want The One I Can't Have.
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

I KNOW. AND I'M TOURING! RUB IT IN, WON'T YOU? :mrgreen:

Oh, and listening to A Man Called (e)
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Sneaker Pimps - Becoming X

One of those records I forget about and then rediscover. A damn hot and bothered record.
Otis Westinghouse

King Hoarse wrote:I KNOW. AND I'M TOURING! RUB IT IN, WON'T YOU?
OK, will make amends by suggesting that on your one night off on your punishing Nov 11-27 schedule, i.e. Nov 16, in between commitments in Rennes and Madrid, you stop off in Clermont Ferand and catch Rufus: http://www.rufuswainwright.com/

I was trying to arrange for you and he to play the same town on the same night, so you could jam together at ther mother of all after-show parties, but sadly you don't coincide (just a few days out in Madrid and Barcelona, though).

Better still: after all that touring, hop on a plane to Paris on Nov 28 and catch Rufus and Marth on the same bill! You know you have to.

Unfortunately I'll be in Madrid just 6 days before you - if only we'd coincided! I'm not playing a gig, mind!

Venerea have some great dates lined up: the Effenaar in Eindhoven - famous purely because Joy Division played there (some of which is on ther Here Are The Young Men video: http://www.iancurtis.org/gigs/18-01-1980.html). Hope you don't get any 'local hooligans'. This must be Eindhoven's equivalent of the Paradiso in Amsterdam - been there forever, long roll call of legends have appeared there; the 'Snail Hall' in Madrid (definitely not a name I recall from 15 years back); Debaser in Stockholm; and then a highly original UK tour of Stoke, Northampton, Burgess Hill (where's that?) and Leamington Spa. Tempted to head to the Racehorse with almost local boy Jackson Monk and heading into the mosh-pit!

Just enjoying Calling Card and Ten Years with my 12-year old lad. Perhaps I should send him along!