What are you listening to right now?

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Now...

I saw him last year open for Pernice Brothers and wasn't that taken with his fairly ragged live show, but it was at the end of the tour and there was a delay which may have had something to do with it. The album is very very good. "All the Night Without Love" is a gorgeous song.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

XM Radio plays "While You Were Sleeping" quite often. I'm eager to hear the rest of the record.

Interesting/tragic story with Elvis Perkins. His father was Anthony Perkins (Norman Bates in Psycho), who famously became one of the first celebrity casualties of AIDS. And his mother was a photographer who was on board one of the two planes that crashed into the World Trade Center on 9/11.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Yeah, talk about a tragic family history. You can hear it in a lot of the music.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

BlueChair wrote:XM Radio plays "While You Were Sleeping" quite often. I'm eager to hear the rest of the record.

Interesting/tragic story with Elvis Perkins. His father was Anthony Perkins (Norman Bates in Psycho), who famously became one of the first celebrity casualties of AIDS. And his mother was a photographer who was on board one of the two planes that crashed into the World Trade Center on 9/11.
Wow...that's piss bad luck :shock:
corruptio optimi pessima
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Jackson Monk wrote:
BlueChair wrote:XM Radio plays "While You Were Sleeping" quite often. I'm eager to hear the rest of the record.

Wow...that's piss bad luck :shock:
Listening to it again now. I would really recommend this album to everyone. It's hard not to hear a lot of it as a kind of indirect response to 9/11, though I suppose I should resist reading too much of his personal history into it. There's a dash of Dylan there as well, lyrically. Very compelling stuff.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I'll pick it up the next time I can convince myself that "Yes, Adam, the occasional CD is ok"
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Finally got hold of this. All the praise well merited I reckon. Certainly a retro feel to it (not a bad thing in my book), but also something very contemporary about it. A really gutsy album.

BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Sam,

I listened to that CD non-stop for about a month. Then I got really sick of it. But lately I've started picking up on it again. I suspect it's an album I will back to for a while yet.
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

"New York Is A Woman" - Suzanne Vega's excellent new song from this album :

If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Finally got the vinyl today. Just now giving it a spin.

Also got this - heavy vinyl again, which includes the CD as well. I'm already loving a number of songs, especially "Hate It Here." Unusually mellow and straightforward, but beautifully played with lots of delicate little details. Think this will be a grower.
RedShoes

Post by RedShoes »

I'm listing to my mom's travel-related radio show over the internet!
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Deluxe edition of John Martyn's One World. This is one of his LPs I most wanted to check out and happened to see it in my local library. It doesn't disappoint, and this edition is a cracker. There are some really gorgeous songs on here, and the CD2 solo Regent's Park live versions plus alternative versions seem really interesting ways of showing different facets of the mighty JM. Small Hours is hypnotic, and the 10 min instrumental version has got to be great chill out music for any setting. A lot of the guitar sounds and chords on it remind me of Vini Reilly, making me wonder if Vini is/was a fan. This LP, from '77 could have been a formative influence.

The more I listen to John Martyn, the more I realise he is just truly unique and that his talent is immense. An incredibly good singer, songwriter and guitarist with loads of musical traditions flowing through him and yet a willingness to take risks and experiment. I dig.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

Thats a great record Otis, I must get that re-issue. I cant say enough about John Martyn - just a colossal talent.

If Whiskey could sing it would sound like John Martyn.
echos myron like a siren
with endurance like the liberty bell
and he tells you of the dreamers
but he's cracked up like the road
and he'd like to lift us up, but we're a very heavy load
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Costello Music - The Fratellis
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Chrille

Post by Chrille »

My introduction to Siouxsie & The Banshees and a great introduction it is. Great, driving, gloomy post-punk rock with lovely vocals. Only downer is the lyrics. Siouxsie seems to go for cheap rhymes a bit too often, thankfully the charmingly creepy topics make up for it though.

Not sure where to go next, but Kaleidoscope and The Scream both look interesting (as well as Hyaena and Tinderbox, though they're are not yet available as remasters).
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

the band that backed up Tim Armstrong's solo project.

King Hoarse, where are you and what did you think of A Poet's Life?
Like me, the "g" is silent.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Dark and brooding stuff. I love it!

so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Chrille - The Scream, Kaleidoscope & Join Hands are all worthy. I have all the remasters, but the Scream will always be my personal favourite, not a weak track on it.
signed with love and vicious kisses
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

I've been listening to the Pigeon Detectives album, liking it so far.
Chrille

Post by Chrille »

lack: Thanks, I think I'll go for Scream next then (or perhaps I should save it for last?). I'm curious about those remasters, there are remasters of these four albums from 2006 and recent editions from 2007. Is it just Universal re-releasing them with their name on it? Tracklist and all seems to be the same. Also, any idea when their post-Juju stuff might be remastered?
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

I am loving Come on Feet by Pete & the Pirates

http://www.myspace.com/peteandthepirates
Bad Ambassador

Post by Bad Ambassador »

Who Shot Sam? wrote:Dark and brooding stuff. I love it!

Still my favourite of the year thus far. An amazingly claustrophobic and yet atmospheric record. Some superb songwriting and some equally excellent playing. Vinyl sounds better than the CD too.

Just coming to the end of another play of the Amy Winehouse album. I bought the CD when it came out, and while I could recognise that it was a bloody great record, the CD sounded crap thanks to the compression. Now, I know it's meant to be compressed to sound like 60s soul, but at the same time it was a tough listen. Got a vinyl copy of this in the last few days and it is fantastic. Should allow it to become a firm favourite now.

The Wilco album is wonderful, and is another contender for album of the year (the remaining contender, in my book, from the year thus far is 'We Can Create' by the quite shimmeringly special Maps)

The Arcade Fire vinyl is a pretty little package, with the etched fourth side. Sounds better than the CD again. They're touring in the UK in the Autumn but they're playing enormo-sheds with awful sound, so I think I'll give them a miss.
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

For the 10 trillionth time and it is still as fresh as a daisy:

"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Bad Ambassador wrote:The Arcade Fire vinyl is a pretty little package, with the etched fourth side. Sounds better than the CD again. They're touring in the UK in the Autumn but they're playing enormo-sheds with awful sound, so I think I'll give them a miss.
That's what I felt, but I was so pissed off about not going to see them down in the road in Southwold at Latitude in July I thought I'd take a look, and was very happy to see they were on at Ally Pally, which I went to for Franz F in '05 and liked a lot (people slag it off, but the sound was fine, for them anyway, and it was big enough to feel like an exciting event without feeling at all arena-ish. Good on them for not playing Wembley, Earls Court or 02, and the tickets were £24 (+ £4 booking, of course), which is a pretty good price these days. So I'm going. Roll on November. More than happy for my only London gig of the year to be this.

You seem to be doing lots of duplicate buying in vinyl. Aficionado! I'm jealous.

I'm playing John Martyn's One World again. Fabulous record. Couldn't Love You More - what a song. Really happy I checked this out.

I'm gonna check out that Wilco CD.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more