Mrs Costello

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

It's incredibly fatuous of any artist to try and pretend that they have not had a 'leg-up' from a famous parent...

I really love 'Grace' but it was hyped on its release and it was hyped when he died. He had a great voice...no one can deny that. But it was a flawed album in many ways.

If you are an agent and Jeff Buckley, Lisa Minelli, Michael Douglas or Norah Jones walks in, are you going to offer them the same service as Dougie Sidebottom and the Refuseniks (from Basingstoke) ??? ............... i think not :lol:
corruptio optimi pessima
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Jackson Monk wrote: I really love 'Grace' but it was hyped on its release and it was hyped when he died. He had a great voice...no one can deny that. But it was a flawed album in many ways.
Actually, if you stop it after LOVER YOU SHOULD'VE COME OVER, it is a perfect album. Just perfect. Says me.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Well Mugsy.....I Almost agree with you....if you substitute 'So Real' for CCC. I have never liked 'So Real' its a bit like a bad Kajagoogoo cover, whereas CCC has one of the best vocals you will ever hear on record (IMHO).

1. Mojo Pin
2. Grace
3. Last Goodbye
4. Lilac Wine
5. So Real
6. Hallelujah
7. Lover, You Should`ve Come Over
8. Corpus Christi Carol
9. Eternal Life
10. Dream Brother
Last edited by Jackson Monk on Thu Apr 15, 2004 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
corruptio optimi pessima
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Keep SO REAL (which I quite like) and CCC and we have a deal. Okay?

:D

PS, I do love CCC, I just think that LYSHCO is the perfect ending.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

It's a deal....

Never could say no to you Muggsy :oops: :lol:

ps.I can 't believe I wrote "'here' on record"..............doh...

rectified abuve!
corruptio optimi pessima
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

I say keep the whole LP, for a debut LP, it's incredibly unflawed. the last two aren't my favourites, but they each add their own thing. Its biggest flaw is its ambition in covering so many styles, which led to CCC being cited as pretentious, but I agree it's a perfect thing for him to do with that heavenly voice.

I found myself watching this VH1 docu about trying to get Kajagoogoo reunited. I'd seen the end of a Squeeze one (I feel Jackson's eyes go out on stalks), but they weren't interested (well Chris Difford was, but Jools didn't give a toss, and Glenn seemed very unsure), and then found myself curiously touched by KGG. Having hated Limahl as much as the next man in the 80s, the whole story of how the manager got them to drop him as too teeny ('like a knife through my heart') and then his lack of grudge-bearing in saying 'life's too short, let's do it' curiously moving. OK, the reunion gig didn't exactly do it for me, but I now have a different opinion of them as people. Why am I telling you this?

Very odd comparison, So Real and bad KGG.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I like Grace a lot, but I have to agree that "Lover, You Should Have Come Over" is a good ending song.

Has anybody checked out the recently released 2CD 'Live at Sin'e" set? Excellent live disc... just Buckley and an electric guitar.. no band.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

BlueChair wrote:I like Grace a lot, but I have to agree that "Lover, You Should Have Come Over" is a good ending song.

Has anybody checked out the recently released 2CD 'Live at Sin'e" set? Excellent live disc... just Buckley and an electric guitar.. no band.
Don't know that one, though have seen it in my local CD store. I did pick up the DVD JEFF BUCKLEY LIVE IN CHICAGO on the cheap, though, and it's well worth it.

I've told some of you this story already, but I listened to GRACE on a loop in my MP3 player for about 30 hours straight while on a morphine drip last fall, after I broke my arm. I think the music helped as much as the morphine, and the two together comforted me and had me in a delusional romantic trance that was so happy I was upset when I came to realise that the things I'd felt during it were only the result of sounds and chemicals in my brain. In any case, the sound of the record has almost the same effect when I listen to it now.