HOW he sings things

Pretty self-explanatory
LessThanZero

HOW he sings things

Post by LessThanZero »

Don't you guys love it when Elvis sings You've Really Got a Hold on Me, and at the end of every chorus, he sings out: "HOLD MEEEEE!!"

Man, he just seems so vulnerable and real, and the emotion is PERFECT!

I also like how on Brilliant Mistake he sings: "I WISH that I could push a button."
Loving this board since before When I Was Cruel.
pip_52

Post by pip_52 »

I like when he's singing YRGAHOM and he gets to the part where he sings "squeeze" with that little shiver in his voice . . .

oh yeah . . .
firebetty

Post by firebetty »

i used to have a list, but all i can remember now is how he cries out in Battered Old Bird. oh my...
and basically when he starts any song without instrumentation- hope your happy, no action, what is it? as i stepped out upon the landing my heart was already down the stairs... yes, now i have it next time around, and lately how he's been singing PLU with almighty vehemence and vengence. the way he freaks me out is the best.
side note- when i sing yrgahom to my son (who went nuts in utero when we went to hear elvis sing it), his mood will change dramatically and he laughs this really full wide open toothless mouth chha-chaa-chaa (that is the throaty jewish ch, not the chocolate ch) and i am a big big star.
Last edited by firebetty on Wed Jul 09, 2003 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SoLikeCandy

Post by SoLikeCandy »

I love it when his voice is just a hair beneath the pitch. It's very honest and endearing...

Also, "Poisoned Rose": "when a single becomes a pa-a-a-aaair"...sexy, mournful, soulful. I lurve it...
If there's one thing you can say about mankind--there's nothing kind about man
DrJ

Post by DrJ »

I like it during I Hope Your HAppy Now when he scratches his beard during the line "He's acting innocent..."

DrJ
Tlentifini Maarhaysu
lipstickvogue

Post by lipstickvogue »

I am quite sure this makes me a sick little puppy groupie BUT I must own up to my fixation with the shape of EC's mouth when he sings ... something about the thickness of his tongue. :oops:

beyond that rather indigo observation... there is not a singer out there whose voice gives me the same shivers and I believe a lot of that is a reaction to the emotive quality of his golden vocal cords - my brain quivers when he gets the slight tonal slips offset by the raspy thang rolling (Uncomplicated in my mind presently)

<purr>
it's always another day after twelve o'clock's struck
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Listening to the PTC reissue reminded me of how cool it sounds when he sings the word brave on King of Thieves...

really haunting

:twisted:
HungupStrungup

I'm sorry to say that I knew all along . . . .

Post by HungupStrungup »

In the final verse of the album version of "Sulky Girl," I love the way he spits out the line, "Your money's no good in here!"
"But it's a dangerous game that comedy plays
Sometimes it tells you the truth
Sometimes it delays it"
A rope leash

Emphasis

Post by A rope leash »

How about Two Little Hitlers?

"...we can look so long as we don't have to talk at all" - how he sharpens the word "all". Then,

"...you say you'll never know him, he's not a natural man" - he flattens the word "man".
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

YEAH ROPE! It sounds like the Cars based their entire career on how he flattens the word "MAN"!!
Loving this board since before When I Was Cruel.
A rope leash

By jove, I think he's right...

Post by A rope leash »

You know what? I heard My Best Friend's Girlfriend on the radio today, and "...my best friend's girlfriend" is pretty flat, eh?

Cars were cool.
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

His singing in 'Last Boat Leaving' floats my boat....or should this be under the string title for that? :lol:
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
SweetPear

Re: By jove, I think he's right...

Post by SweetPear »

A rope leash wrote: Cars were cool.
Very cool.
They were the first concert I ever went to. I was 14 and my (6'4") father was away for 2 weeks. Of course my mother said I couldn't go. So of course I climbed out of my bedroom window and went anyway. It was at the Spectrum in Philadelphia and we were on the second level in the first row, right smack in front of the stage. It was a great view. I can remember sitting on the egde with our feet dangling through the railing.

Yeah, it was worth it.
:D
I'm not angry anymore....
SweetPear

Post by SweetPear »

I like the way Elvis does I Wanna Be Loved.....in that sad, achey, painful kind of way.
Poor baby, let me take care of you.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Gillibeanz wrote:
His singing in 'Last Boat Leaving' floats my boat
in total agreement, it's so tender and in the last verse, you can hear genuine sadness at the same time as contempt...

magical stuff
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

I've just noticed the way he sings 'boots' on the Wendy James Demos -- "'Cos you're not fit to lick my lovely little leather boOOots". Funny.
tokyo vogue

Post by tokyo vogue »

mmm. boots. licking.

must...keep...kinks...away from...fandom...

heh. what was i gonna say again? oh, right. "...Dust" - the way he says "sonny" in the juggernaut verse. all low-down and growly and mmm.

of course, nothing beats "I Want You" for smash-head-against-wall agony.
if we can rock together, why can't we walk together?
Stripped Jack Naked

Post by Stripped Jack Naked »

Far to many cool variations, but in general:

The intonation during parts of Episode of Blonde are Dylanesque.

The vocals on Distorted Angel have a sound that, to me, sounds like a homage to Paul Weller.

On the 5 CD live set, Costello And Nieve...the vocal play with the keyboards is, in places, magical.

Lipstick Voque...the chorus has a sarcastic, sassy, almost southern twang that I think is planned as a Valley Girl type dialect: "Yooooooouuuuuuur, Not jus anuther mowth of lypsschtick vowque"
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Over the years I always listen to the way he says "true" when he sings the line "Alison, my aim is true" for the last time in the song before he usually goes onto a medley. I like the variations in the way he elongates the word.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
MegJS

Post by MegJS »

I like almost every line in Episode Of Blonde, and how the chorus flows into the verse, the way he sings "...of blonde" when the verse has already begun. I adore all I Want You, 45, Alibi, Tart and 20% Amnesia. The verse and chorus of Hurry Down Doomsday that follow the solo. The line "but if you come back to see me" in Too Blue. "Listen to the decent people" in Sunday's Best. And "your money's no good in here" in Sulky Girl and "sonny" in Dust too. The chorus of Just About Glad, the one closer to the end. and "When you say 'no', she says 'why not?'"
Libraries filled up with failed ideas
There's nothing more for me there
I trust in tender ink and gentle airs
Monkey Girl

Post by Monkey Girl »

I LOVE in Kinder Murder how he sings:

"...dreaming of the pigskin seats and the walnut dash and the KNICKERS and the handbag and one false eye lash..." that low throaty voice...

And Meg...I love ALL of I Want You....what a sexy sound
MistakenForLilies

Post by MistakenForLilies »

I think there's also something about the way he sings "knickers" in Just About Glad...it has a mischievous edge. I also like the emotional way he sings the line "let him dangle" before the part that begins "from a welfare state...." And frankly it's impossible not to love I Want You.
Monkey Girl

Knickers...

Post by Monkey Girl »

MistakenForLilies wrote:I think there's also something about the way he sings "knickers" in Just About Glad...it has a mischievous edge. I also like the emotional way he sings the line "let him dangle" before the part that begins "from a welfare state...." And frankly it's impossible not to love I Want You.
I love this thread!

It's inspiring me to go back and listen to songs I haven't heard in a while. Just About Glad...great song. (Thanks Mistaken!) You're right...he sings "knickers" with that same throaty intensity as in "I Want You". So alluring.

Maybe it's the only way he can say "knickers"! Is there another EC song with "knickers" in it?....I bet it would be sung the same way!
SweetPear

Re: By jove, I think he's right...

Post by SweetPear »

A rope leash wrote:You know what? I heard My Best Friend's Girlfriend on the radio today, and "...my best friend's girlfriend" is pretty flat, eh?

Cars were cool.
the Cars were definately cool.

My first concert. Snuck out my bedroom window to go. It was freakin worth it.

(I believe I've mentioned this previously.) :roll:
SweetPear

Post by SweetPear »

Ah! Here's one of my all time favorites....when he says "You're so tough, you're so hard" in Watch Your Step.
Just so cool. As a matter of fact, I love how he sings the whole darn song!