About our wonderful selves - answer a question and ask one

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

CROW: You've got me now......tell me your werewolf story please - im fascinated??? :shock:
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Sorry to get in the way BWAP, I don't know what any of those tv programmes are but I am a fan of chimps in clothes!

Ok, the Nuremberg werewolf.... well, after I'd got lost the first day of going in to town to meet my dad for lunch, he showed me the quick route in through a public park, then through the old town. Nuremberg is a very pretty city, exactly as you'd imagine in a fairytale in parts, and there is a big canal and railtrack system that runs straight through it, so there are a lot of tunnels, twists and turns.
While walking in one morning (it was still very dusky), I came through one tunnel underneath a railtrack to find a very small park (I say park, but this was really a patch of ground with a few trees and a bush), enclosed within walls around which were elevated railtracks. I walked through the park, and as I was approaching the other side, I saw a massive dog - kind of like an alsation in appearance, but darker. It was standing in a bush that was the same height as it, and there was no owner about at all, and it was staring straight at me. I sheepishly backed away (it was about 100metres away from me), still looking at it, until I got close to the tunnel, at which point I quickly walked under the bridge...then I pegged it for a wee bit, thinking 'oh shit, I hope it doesn't follow me' (although it hadn't really moved, or barked or anything like that).
I never thought about it again, as far as I was concerned it was just a dog. The next day, I was going along the same route, came to the park and was reminded of the dog. I walked to the point where I saw the dog, and looked at the bush - the bush was at least 6 foot high! I thought - 'naa I must have imagined it' - but I specifically remember seeing the dogs back at the same height as the bush. So I thought, 'another bush, surely' - no other bushes in the park, only trees!

So, being a scientist (and a zoologist!) what can I draw from that?....The tallest canid is the Maned Wolf...but that's a very distinctive light brown, with skinny long legs, and I know them well from Chester Zoo. This was a 6foot plus canid, dark brown, alsation-like in appearance...I don't know that it was a 'werewolf' in the traditional sense...but what else could it have been!?

Weird! :?
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

laughingcrow wrote:...but what else could it have been!?
Clearly you have never heard of the famed feral ponies of Nuremberg... Ha! That's a great story. :D
RedShoes

Post by RedShoes »

Based on the pictures alone, BJ and the Bear.

What's the meaning of life, the universe, and everything?
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

What you make it.

Why did the chicken cross the road?
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

bambooneedle wrote:
Why did the chicken cross the road?
To get to the other side of course! :lol:

CROW: Thats an awesome story! Bet you didnt take that short cut again! You know people are quick to laugh at stuff like this, but theres a lot of wierd things out there and we are still making discoveries! That would make a great thread - 'Supernatural or unexplained things that have happened to you or someone you know'!

If you could change one thing in your life what would it be and why?
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

My opinion of myself. I think less of myself than anyone else and always underestimate what I am capable of. It usually causes me a lot of grief and wastes a lot of my time to process useless thoughts like those, but I still find myself thinking the same things. :roll:

Have you ever been on television and, if so, why?
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

Kinda. I and my fellow 3rd-year class-mates made rude gestures behind Richard Madeley's back when This Morning was broadcast from 'the dock'. He actually turned around, grinning and applauded us. Wanker.

Vodka Scrabble or gin chess?
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

very nice avatar, PoP.

why did chicken cross the road? if hemingway wrote it: to die. alone. in the rain.

pardon the interruption.

PlaythingorPet wrote:
Vodka Scrabble or gin chess?
Like me, the "g" is silent.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

PlaythingOrPet wrote:Vodka Scrabble or gin chess?
How we've missed you, POP!!

In college we were partial to Backgammon for bong hits. But of the two you proposed, definitely Vodka Scrabble, as I abhor gin and suck at chess.

Is there a poem you can recite by heart? If so, which?
RedShoes

Post by RedShoes »

selfmademug wrote:Is there a poem you can recite by heart? If so, which?
I used to be able to recite the Lewis Carrol's <i>Jabberwocky</i>, odly enough....let's see:

Twas brillig and the slithy toves
Did Jire and gimble in the wabe
All Mimsy were teh borogroves,
and mome raths outgrabe.

Not sure if I spelled all of the nonsense words right, but well, they're not real words anyway. There's a lot more obviously, but even if I could remember it all I doubt anyone would want it here :lol:

How much wood would a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood?
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

The Owl and the Pussy-Cat went to sea
In a beautiful pea-green boat;
They took some honey, and plenty of money,
Wrapped up in a five-pound note.
The Owl looked up to the stars above,
And sang to a small guitar,
'O lovely Pussy ! O Pussy, my love,
What a beautiful Pussy you are,
You are,
You are !
What a beautiful Pussy you are !

Pussy said to the Owl, 'You elegant fowl !
How charmingly sweet you sing !
O let us be married ! Too long we have tarried :
But what shall we do for a ring?'
They sailed away for a year and a day,
To the land where the Bong-tree grows,
And there in a wood a Piggy-wig stood,
With a ring at the end of his nose,
His nose,
His nose,
With a ring at the end of his nose.

'Dear Pig, are you willing to sell for one shilling
Your ring?' Said the Piggy, 'I will.'
So they took it away, and were married next day
By the turkey who lives on the hill.
They dined on mince, and slices of quince,
Which they ate with a runcible spoon;
And hand in hand, on the edge of the sand,
They danced in the light of the moon,
The moon,
The moon,
They danced by the light of the moon.

How much wood would a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood?
He'd give his wood a good polish first. oo-er.

Favourite film ever and at least 50 words on why?
signed with love and vicious kisses
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

I have this urge to say The Wizard of Oz and write "because, because, because, because BEEECAAAAAAAUUUSE' ....

My favorite movie: Airplane! From the Supperware to the 'don't call me Shirleys', it has to be one of the funniest ever made. I like silly stuff and bad puns. good puns too. All of the actors just have it completely right. Kareem is in it. What's not to love?
close to 50?

what's the best advice you ever received?
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

From my dad on my then pending divorce: "For God's sake, do it while you're young. I should have." Turned out to be really good advice.

What is your favorite season and why?
crash8_durham

Post by crash8_durham »

Fall !!! It is not really hot or too cold, it means the World Series and the start of football season, my favorite holiday is Halloween and I love the look of it with the changing leaves and all. The only bad part is that its almost winter.

What is the most you have ever eaten at one sitting?
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

"I wish I'd listened to my Father's advice"
"Why what did he say?"
"I don't know, I didn't listen"

From Hitchhikers gttg (probably misquoted but that was the gist).
What is the most you have ever eaten at one sitting?
signed with love and vicious kisses
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

c'mon somebody, quantify your food. hasn't anyone ever eaten like 11 tacos at one sitting or something?
I'm not concerned about the very poor.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

my sister used to inhale tacos, but I don't think she inhaled that many.

once, and please keep this under your hat, I ate most of a coconut creme pie. I was pregnant and it was a gift. I had to be polite, right?

can you sew? I'm not talking about stapling your hems or gluing on buttons. real sewing.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

I had a sewing project in school once, I believe it was supposed to be an apron. I sewed the pocket on the front shut, amongst many other disasters. In short: NO.

What was a food that you 'hated' as a child but love now?
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Mushrooms. I was totally put off by mushrooms as a child. Now, it's a welcome addition to any pasta, pizza, burger, chicken dish, steak, etc. Yummy.

Who was the first boy/girl you kissed? What was it like?
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

Ew, mushrooms.

First boy I ever kissed was Reuben Ullman, at a dance at summer camp, summer of '90. It was...sweet.

Expiration dates: ironclad law or gentle guideline?
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Gentle guidelines, mostly - at least for medicines. My brother was a respiratory therapist before he died. He used to tell me all the time how medicines were good for up to two years or so after the expiration date and that all the medical people knew it. Now as for things like dairy products, well, I think you can tell when those are bad - whether the date says that they should be or not.

Have you ever stolen anything?
RedShoes

Post by RedShoes »

Once, when I was eight or so. I was in a store with my mom and had decided I wanted to spend some of my allowance on a slap bracelet - because they were SO COOL. I picked one out that I wanted, stapped it on my wrist and completely forgot about it when we left the store. I realized I still had it on in the car ride home, and was so afraid my mom would be mad at me that I hid it in my room once I got home. I'm not sure she knows about that to this day. Hehe.

If someone offered you $500,000 USD to go without any internet access for a year, would you do it? If not, how much would it take? :)
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

I'd do it for a lot less than that, if you're offering!

Plaid or polka dot?
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

plaid man, like in a flannel shirt.

tell us something about yourself: which is worse "hurts so good" or "love hurts" (and the nazareth version, not the everly brothers)?
I'm not concerned about the very poor.