Top 5 Guitarists

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Jackson Doofster

Post by Jackson Doofster »

Oily

I do indeed love you very much...........I have to strop out occasionally though. Oh....and yes............your memory is quite remarkable.....

:lol:
"But they can't hold a candle to the reciprical war crimes which have plagued our policy of foriegn affairs."
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Okay, this is a rather intimidating arena but I'll bite. These are my faves, in no order, cause they're people who each have a super distinct voice that I love:

1. Jimi Hendrix
2. Marc Ribot
3. Jeff Beck
4. John Hyatt
5. Richard Thompson
6. Robert Fripp

Oh wait that's six, so sue me.

And for no good reason I'll throw in Stevie Wonder on the harmonica cause it's pratically a guitar when he plays it.
norman brain

Post by norman brain »

Mug, you're the queen! I was wondering who would be the first to include Richard Thompson!

My faves are (in no particular order):

Richard Thompson, George Harrison, Pete Townshend, Peter Buck, and Dave Edmunds.
A rope leash

5ive guitarists

Post by A rope leash »

In no particulary order:

Frank Phukin Zappa

Robert Feckin Fripp

Eddie Van Fuckin Halen

Jeffery Beck

Elvis Costello

Clap Ericton
A rope leash

Addendum

Post by A rope leash »

Okay then Roy farking Clark

Leslie Paul

Clay Lespool

Todd Richter

Mr. Hendrix

Punky Brewster

Flea

Santos Carlanta

John Entwhistle
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

john entw...exactly o drinking one. played better leads than 1/2 the players accumulated here. another pete, i give up. and it's norman. that does it. i gotta edit again.

and the love. speaking of accumulating. overseas affection. wait a minute.........is TAFKAJM picking at the ugly american again? what the hell does "strop" mean?
I'm not concerned about the very poor.
Jackson Doofster

Post by Jackson Doofster »

Oily..........no, I wasn't picking on you again. It's a Brit way of saying I'd had a bad day was throwing my toys out of the baby cariage in a tantrum. :x :lol:
"But they can't hold a candle to the reciprical war crimes which have plagued our policy of foriegn affairs."
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

BWAP--nope, didn't know Kessel ever had anything to do with Ricky Nelson. Cool.

Yep, the stuff with Grappelli is so great. I grew up on 'Limehouse Blues'.

I also really like his work on Julie London's 'Julie Is Her Name', as I'm a fan of girl singers. I love how he manages to impress without showing off.
It's a radiation vibe I'm groovin' on
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

Goody -

Yes - both great albums. Do you remember Julie London on "Emergency"?

I always thought it was sort of weird that Jack Webb put both his ex-wife and her current husband (Bobby Troupe) on his show. And what is one to make of his zealousness against drugs on the "Dragnet" show, when he was a huge officianado of jazz (reportedly he had one of the best record collections in LA) and his circle of friends most certainly were hop-heads.
Sorry, I digress.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Y'all are dull and predictable for once....not something I usually associate with this crowd:

J. Mascis (Dinosaur Jr.)
Thurston Moore and Lee Renaldo (Sonic Youth)
Paul Westerberg
Jamie Nebel (The Makers)
Willie Nelson

So There.
sulkygirl
Location: The Absolute Armpit of the USA--Yakima, Washington (***cough***)

Post by sulkygirl »

A-HA!

Stood me up, pophead (***sniff***)

:wink:
"Love can be stranger than fiction..."
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

willie nelson? there must be more than 1?

randy rhoads is who needs to be on the fuckin' list
SweetPear

Post by SweetPear »

This list is made with very limited knowledge on the subject.
In no particular order:

Eddie Van Halen
Mark Knopfler
Pete Townsend (Did somebody mention the late, great John Entwizzle(sp?)b/c he had a really great solo record out that escapes me now so he could be on the list.)
James Honeyman-Scott
I'd like to add a female to the list, so I wanna say Chrissie Hynde but that may be argueable.

I apologize to all the great guitarists that should be on that list.

What a mess. Why did I post this? :?
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

A few names not mentioned -

T-Bone Walker
Dave Edmunds
Michael Bloomfield
Dave Alvin
Curt Kirkwood

and nobody has the same sound as -

Johnny Ramone
Steve Jones
Poison Ivy
D Boone
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Clarence White of The Byrds offered some amazing lead guitar work in the late 60's early 70's. His guitar playing sounded like bluegrass on a distorted electric guitar. Some of the live stuff in particular is just amazing.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

I like that Willie has kept that same guitar all these years. Eric C bores the hell out of me! as well, Doofster. Fell asleep at his concert long about '79-80. Muddy Waters opened and put on a much better show.

I'm not really into guitars, but is there some reason no one's mention Keith?

p.s. to BWAP--yep, Dave got a mention already. But he probably deserves two.

*I forgot to mention John Prine. It is my ambition to one day play guitar like him. This will involve selling my soul to the devil, but sacrifices must be made.
Last edited by mood swung on Thu Jul 17, 2003 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

MS - I was watching that Willie Nelson special on USA and noticed how beat up that guitar was. I was wondering how old it actually was. :o
HungupStrungup

norm!

Post by HungupStrungup »

norman brain wrote:Mug, you're the queen! I was wondering who would be the first to include Richard Thompson!
smm may indeed be the queen, but her status doesn't rely upon having been the first to mention the very wonderful Richard Thompson in this thread. It was in fact bobster who did so (unless tricky editing has been done), and I for one don't think bobster's a queen.

kudos to this board for most of their choices. I'm very impressed that Tom Verlaine, Richard Lloyd, Django Reinhardt and Sonny Landreth have all been mentioned, as they are geniuses at the instrument, each in his own way.

I'll just mention a few who haven't made anyone's list so far, not necessarily because they're actual Top 5, but because they certainly deserve consideration:

Jorma Kaukonen - original and inventive, not in a particularly flashy way and in a variety of styles; also, as adept at acoustic as electric, which Jerry Garcia said was difficult, so it's worth noting

Phil Manzanera - he caught my attention with Roxy Music, but with John Cale or Eno, his original band Quiet Sun or 801, or as a solo artist, he displays great fluidity and a unique musical vision

Chris Spedding - the king of the 70's and 80's session, in the UK at least, and frequent sideman to Robert Gordon and Bryan Ferry

David Byrne - with Talking Heads he didn't play many solos, but when he did, they were brilliant; his playing was always in service of the songs, and particularly before Jerry Harrison joined, the importance of that was plainly evident; still an artist to watch

Adrian Belew - amazingly adept and completely original, and with Robert Fripp in King Crimson, he's half of the only lasting guitar duo I know of in the same class with Verlaine and Lloyd; a partial list of his many credits tells a lot of the story: Talking Heads, Frank Zappa, David Bowie, Laurie Anderson, Peter Gabriel

PS A general spelling tip that might help my pals remember. Take that "h" that people keep trying to add to "Entwistle" and give it to "Townshend" instead.
Last edited by HungupStrungup on Sun Aug 03, 2003 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"But it's a dangerous game that comedy plays
Sometimes it tells you the truth
Sometimes it delays it"
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

-Mississippi John Hurt
-Ry Cooder
-John Fahey
-Chuck Prophet
-Jimi Hendrix
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

JESUS...!

I just lost respect for most of you...

can you say JIMMY PAGE?????!!!!

1) Jimi Hendrix (the KING, the innovator, the soul)
2) Jimmy Page (listen to the live stuff and hear the orgasmic jizz eminating fra his Les Paul)
3) Pete Townshend (best power rythmic playing, great sound, crunchy choppy and fluid) ..."chomp ,chakak chakak! boom"
4) Jerry Garcia (one of the most original players ever, melodic and fantastic sound...he hits one note, you know it's him)
5) Keith Richards....(one of the worst guitarists with the BEST sound)
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Can't believe only one person has said Jimmy Page!!!!

Top 5..in no particular order...

Jimmy Hendrix
Jimmy Page
Eric Clapton
Robert Johnson
Eddie Van Halen

What about top bassists??

Id go for...

John Deacon
Charles Mingus
Flea
Jaco Pastorius
Nick Lowe

:twisted:
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

mood swung wrote: Eric C bores the hell out of me! as well, Doofster.
ME TOO! I walked out of a Clapton concert after 5 songs one time....the same boring leads, and not much soul for a guy who is suposedly a blues god.....
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

so all of us who find Eric dull should get front row seats at his next appearance and snore!

re: bassists--Flea just blows me away. I have wrecked my speakers cranking up 'Throw Away Your Television.' But they were factory issue anyway, so time for some new ones.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

Before Jimi and Jimmy and Jeff and Clapton and Chuck and B.B. and Django was THE GREATEST GUITARIST OF ALL TIME:

Andres Segovia

And don't you dare argue with me until you've actually heard him.
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

if there has been discussion of this, i missed it, but the comedic listing of the top 100 guitarists in the latest rolling stone should have came up somewhere. after seeing john hiatt and the goners and the robert cray band 2 nights ago it makes one wonder how the cavalcade of humdrums got on that list and mr cray and sonny landreth stayed off. i don't know if they belong on it, but i believe that some that are there don't. sonny is such a stud and hiatt was extremely deferential in allowing that to be displayed.