Your Top Five, desert island Elvis Costello albums...

Pretty self-explanatory
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

*sigh*....this used to be such a peaceful place....
corruptio optimi pessima
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Can't remember if I've posted here yet.

1. Imperial Bedroom
2. Get Happy!!
3. Blood & Chocolate
4. All This Useless Beauty
5. Trust
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

wehitandrun wrote:Stop holding grudges, poor man.

Noise, I explained myself earlie. If you really feel there is reason enough to "waste" your time and retort(with god knows what), then I'd love to hear what you have to say. But, please, try to keep the generalizations, cliches, "i hate that generation"s, and pidgeon-holding out of it.

I'm not some kid you teach... you don't know me, so don't act like you do. You can't judge my internet-personality because a couple of message board threads. I'd like to start new with you, or maybe we can ignore eachother completely. I just don't want these little squabbles to continue. Any thoughts?
Not trying to continue squabbles. A couple of points. 1. I'm not holding grudges. What I said in my last post, I meant. I think it's entirely reasonable that you act the way you do considering you are 17. That's how 17 year olds act. You want to be taken seriously as an adult, but you haven't quite reached that point and don't always come across the way you want. I have a lot of experience with kids your age, 10 years of teaching under my belt, and I am qualified to make the observation that your attitutde is fairly typical. That's not a cliche, it's an informed opinion based on observation. When I thought you were in your 20s (and I don't know what made me think so, but I did), I was offended by your tendency to jump in people's faces without need and then barely apologize when someone called you on it. The whole "marry in haste, repent in leisure" thing, if you will. Take it as a slam if you want, but I don't expect any 17 year old to be more mature than 17 year olds tend to be. It wouldn't be reasonable. For a 17 year old, you have the advantage of already having developed better taste in music than most of your peers. You're to be commended for that. A lot of the abbrasiveness that you exhibit will ebb with time; getting out of high school will do wonders for your personality.

2. No, you're not a kid I teach, though if you were in any of my classes, I would instantly be your favorite teacher. You'd especially like my Pop Culture class or my History of Film class. But if you were my student and mouthed off at your peers in class the way you do here, you'd also spend some time in the office...

3. You're quite wrong that I can't judge your Internet-personality based on your posts here. That's nonsense. That's the only way anyone can judge your Internet personality. Maybe in real life you don't charge ahead with your foot in your mouth insulting people you just met in an effort to impress, but you do here. A glance through some of your recent posts, and not just on this thread, bears out what I am saying. If you insist, I'll be happy to post your own words so that you can see what I'm talking about. An early sample: "You all have terrible opinions." Nice. And you can call that sarcasm, if you like, but the truth is it's just rudeness that you later label as sarcasm. Not the same thing. It's easy to say "I was just kidding" when you step in it. But it's not honest.

Finally, I don't hate your or any other generation. It would be ludicrous if I did to do what I do for a living. I enjoy very much the age I teach, but I don't try to get into intense debate with people just less than half my age. It's not a fair fight, and I have no intention of continuing down this path with you (other than to post your own slams on others if you want to see them). Suffice it to say that there are people you've insulted on this board who have been contributing for well over a year on three different sites. That's just not cool.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

I read points 1. and 2.- and liked what I read. Then, as I tend to do... I lost interest. Must we always have paragraphs to say to eachother?

Just don't insult my ability to apologize! (<--- that is supposed to be funny, not really me yelling at you)
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

Okay, but seriously.

Your third point is ridiculous. You cannot judge my internet personality on a couple of posts* is what I meant to say(meaning, this entire thread, which has been the basis for our discussion)

I have positively contributed on this board far more than I have negatively. Judge me on that... not on the little scraps of 17 year old angst that are attached.
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

Brutal Youth
This Year's Model
Get Happy!!
Blood and Chocolate
wild card slot

Whatever happened to tokyovogue? I miss her...
crash8_durham

Post by crash8_durham »

My favourite part of your little bash on my intelligence is your use of LOL. Hopefully hooked on spelling will teach you how to act like a 12 year old(the post LOL age). One step at a time.

Actually I like using those. It reminds me of one of my favorite movie lines.

"If the VP is such a VIP shouldn't we keep his PC on the QT so it doesn't leak to the VC so he won't wind up MIA and we won't get put on KP?"

-Robin Williams
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

Seeee, crash is now my favorite poster.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

wehitandrun wrote:Okay, but seriously.

Your third point is ridiculous. You cannot judge my internet personality on a couple of posts* is what I meant to say(meaning, this entire thread, which has been the basis for our discussion) I have positively contributed on this board far more than I have negatively. Judge me on that... not on the little scraps of 17 year old angst that are attached.
I read your first post, then I lost interest...

If you'd been around here long, you'd know I talk in paragraphs. That there's just me.

You can't have it both ways in re: your youth. You can't on one hand defiantly say "stop treating me like a kid" and then turn around with "I'm only a kid; overlook my childishness." It doesn't work that way.
The following is offered as a counterpoint to your claim that your abbrasiveness has been limited to this thread and to only a couple of posts. It's not an exhaustive list, and I didn't bother to include comments you made to me, with one exception. Not because it was especially insulting to me, but because it's such a great example of foot-in-mouth syndrome. I'm sure you'll say that some of these comments were meant to be funny, but that's not the point. As I said whether it's meant to be funny or not, rude is rude:
wehitandrun wrote:To crash8durham, after he made fun of himself: My favourite part of your little bash on my intelligence is your use of LOL. Hopefully hooked on spelling will teach you how to act like a 12 year old(the post LOL age). One step at a time.

To jackson monk, who suggested a career as a vocal coach: Well, atleast I know Jackson Monk is still a jackass.

To elvisisking: Yeah, and completely wrong. Sorry buddy.

To lapinsjolis, who didn't like Elvis' humor in a performance of God's Comic: I'm sure you may feel as though saying this makes you sound intelligent, but it is lost on me(as your joke was, right?).

Same post, later: and it has nothing to do with age, funnypants).

About cbartal, who shared the pain he felt when one of his favorite artists let him down: I'm delighted that the rant has filtered some of the fans out of his army. It's better that way.

To bluechair, essentially calling his intelligence into question: Hah, well, sorry for exposing you to my post of over-the-head sarcasm

To noiseradio, after he tried suggested a way to get super fast downloads on a shoestring budget: By the way, I have soulseek... and it's a free mp3-downloading program(GASP!).

About Patrick Tanner’s right to earn a living: I dont give half a damn about Patrik Tanner.

To anyone who likes Pump it Up: 10... Pump It Up represents what fake Elvis phoney fans like around here.

To costellopunk, for no reason I can tell: Haha, you'd have to be drunk to sport any NOFX merch in public.

To Mr. Average: Mr. Average, I'm not even going to comment on your mindless babble.

To jackson monk: Something tells me you were just being an immature asshole, though. You're a waste of sarcasm.

Also to jackson monk: Like I said, go get sad about something else. ..If you have this much of a need for drama, then just kill yourself.

To this whole board, evidently: You people have horrible opinions.

To johnfoyle, one of the least foolish people here: A clever little confusing fool.
Not a paragraph this time , so much as a list. But like the man said in Babe, "That'll do..."
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

Heh, those are all taken out of context, and half of them are in fun.

Wow, I hope you're kidding. If you're gonna waste your time pulling out quotes from the passed month to make a point that is apparently invisible- then I'm wasting my time typing this.

That one about "Pump It Up" especially proves how out of context you've taken these quotes. I love that song. That wasn't to ANYBODY who likes Pump It Up, it was to the poster "10", and I was speaking for people on the board(in a sarcastic fashion).

I'm done with this. What a ridiculous, meaningless, and pointless thread this has become.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Out of context, meant as fun, whatever. Fun for you maybe, clearly rude to most anyone else. How you mean it is hardly the point, anyway. If people perceive that you're being a jerk, it doesn't matter if you have humorous intentions. I'd venture a guess that most of your targets from that list do not share your nonchalance about what you said. But that doesn't seem to matter to you at all. And feel free to ignore the other points I made before quoting you at such length. Self-reflection: It's not just for Narcissus anymore.

I'm out. See you in a fortnight or two.
--William Shakespeare