SQUEEZE!

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Copenhagen Fan

SQUEEZE!

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

Hey Dudes and Gals

What happened to Squeeze and what are your favorite albums???

I just unpacked an old box of cassettes, and slapped that Tuti Fruity thing they did in and it was still damn good!
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

I LOVE A Round and A Bout. Could play it over and over and over. Especially "Tempted". God how I love that song. Great from start to finish without skipping a track. :)

As for whatever happened to them, I got this off the VH-1 site:
http://www.vh1.com/artists/az/squeeze_1/bio.jhtml

"Following the demise of A&M Records, Squeeze issued Domino on their own Quixotic Records label. They displayed the material to the music market place in Cannes at the annual MIDEM festival in January 1999 by playing a blistering set. With little fanfare, the album was issued in the UK, and proved to be yet another gem, rife with great songs and melody. Featuring Holland's younger brother Chris on keyboards, Hilaire Penda (bass) and Ash Soan (drums), this version of Squeeze sounded as good as any previous incarnation. Stand-out tracks included the painfully observant tale of the result of family divorce, "To Be A Dad", and the honest confession of infidelity, "Sleeping With A Friend". Difford and Tilbrook proved they were still capable of writing top-notch material from their hearts, without pandering to musical trends. Sadly, these prized upholders of the great English pop song tradition disbanded Squeeze not long afterwards. Tilbrook released his solo debut, The Incomplete Glenn Tilbrook, in May 2001. Difford followed in 2002 with I Didn't Get Where I Am."
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

Cope,
Difford supported EC&I on the UK leg of the WIWC tour, and Tilbrook has toured solo in the UK recently.

I believe both appeared at Glastonbury, though not together :cry:

Spooky,
Tempted is indeed a gem, all the more so because of the cameo vocal by EC :)
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

The only Squeeze albums I have are East Side Story and Argybargy. I love both, but East Side Story was my favourite for a while. But for some reason, once I got adjusted to being in England, Argybargy became my favourite.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

Blue, now that you're back home, are you maladjusted or unadjusted? :lol:
Like me, the "g" is silent.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

The two-CD set, "Big Squeeze" is kind of fun. One disc of greatest hits and one disc of b-sides (they wrote some damn fine songs that did not make it on to their albums).

I also like Tilbrook's recent solo album a lot.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

mood swung: I"ve yet to figure that out :D
Jackson Doofster

Post by Jackson Doofster »

Hey.....don't get me started on Squeeze. Eeeeeeeaaaasssssiiiiiiilllly the most underrated and prolific British band of the past 20 odd years.

I am very tired this evening....but will be posting more shortly. In the meantime, go out and immediately buy...

Cool for Cats
Argy Bargy
East Side Story
Frank
Play
Some Fantastic Place
Excess Moderation (their own 10 Bloody Mary's...)
Incomplete Glenn Tilbrook

then...once hooked...buy...

Sweets from a Stranger
Difford & Tilbrook
Ridiculous
Domino

then...if you still need the other stuff...buy...

Cosi Fan Tutti Frutti
Babylon & On
Round and About
Squeeze (debut)

I can't comment on the Difford solo album as I haven't got it.

I'll be back
"But they can't hold a candle to the reciprical war crimes which have plagued our policy of foriegn affairs."
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Knew his eyes would light up at that one. Chris Difford's support slot of EC was pretty sad. Good songwriter, not a good solo performer. It just sounded like some geezer from the pub had wondered onto the stage to perform some very average Squeeze covers.
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

All I have of Squeeze is the recent 2-cd best of. Don't think I've even played the second cd. Chris Difford was poo when he opened for Elvis. I saw Glenn Tilbrook on his recent tour and he was excellent - his album is pretty good too.
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

Listened to a Squeeze singles collection last night,
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASI ... 06-2370015

and all music fans should have this collection along with the East Side Story collection. Incredible, timeless pop, the memories came rushing back.
Uncomplicated

Post by Uncomplicated »

I want to say this for now...then more later.

Did anyone but me think it was strange that on the Difford and Tilbrook solo album. Difford did not sing lead on any of the songs?

I expected at least a few to be sang by CD.....anyone?

Fav Squeeze album

East Side Story
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Glenn Tilbrook will begin a US tour this month.

http://www.billboard.com/bb/daily/artic ... id=1929382
Jackson Doofster

Unc

CD has said many time that he doesn't especially like singing. I think his voice is quite rich and he reminds me a little of Damon Gough. Having said that, Glenn Tilbrook once persuaded him to sinf a song called 'His House, Her Home' in a much higher register than he was used to. The results perhaps explain why CD never sang on the D&T album. :lol:
"But they can't hold a candle to the reciprical war crimes which have plagued our policy of foriegn affairs."
Uncomplicated

Post by Uncomplicated »

JD, Yeah I've heard that about Chris before.

I would always love the one or two songs on each squeeze album he would sing. Songs like "Someone Else's Heart", "Striking Matches", "Love Circles" and the mentioned "His House, Her Home" (which I love!) just help round out the feel of each album.

Thanks
Jackson Doofster

Yeah....agreed. Quite sad that they split. Even though Domino was a little disappointing, there were still some great tracks.
Smallfaces1

I'm a squeeze nut

Post by Smallfaces1 »

you must all go and buy excess moderation! now do it!
"Do you remember rick astley? he had a big fat hit it was ghastly, he said i'm never gonna give you up or let you down, well i'm here to tell you that dick's a clown"
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Glenn Tilbrook is superb live and there is so much audience participation. The last time I saw him he did 'Perfect Day' and had people come up on stage to sing every line. He would stand at the side of the stage, whisper the line to the audience member who in turn would sing the line. Brilliant.

He told me he'd sing an Elvis song - either Alison or Oliver's Army but he didn't. So next time I see him I'm gonna tell him off or sing it on stage for him! Hmm, come to think of it, perhaps that's why he's not playing a London date on this tour.

His UK tour dates are here:

http://www.glenntilbrook.com/shows.html
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Jackson Doofster

Too right VG. Squeeze were damn fantastic and Glenn is one of the best live performers around. Saw him in Northampton earlier in the year and we chatted for a while - a genuinely nice man with time for his fans..

I keep telling people to buy Excess moderation but nobody listens.

They should buy them all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Last edited by Jackson Doofster on Thu Nov 06, 2003 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

Cool For Cats
Argy Bargy
East Side Story

I saw them open up for Elvis on the "English Mugs Tour" in support of Trust and, I think, Argy Bargy. Great show, and Glen came out and sang "From A Whisper To A Scream" with Elvis and the Attractions.

Great Band - "Goodbye Girl" has to be one of the great pop songs of all time.
Jackson Doofster

BWAP

Don't stop in the early 80s. Try Play, Some Fantastic Place and Frank. Ridiculous aint half bad either.
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

Couldn't agree more with VG and Doofster about Glenn's gigs. It was a shame last time because I was quite drunk by the time he got round to playing "From A Whisper...". May catch the Birkenhead date later in the month.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Jackson Doofster wrote:BWAP

Don't stop in the early 80s. Try Play, Some Fantastic Place and Frank. Ridiculous aint half bad either.
Play is a great album. Walk A Straight Line is one of my favourite songs. And Glenn's voice on Third Rail is brilliant - the way he sings 'rail' for the last time in the song. Awesome.

Glenn's favourite Squeeze song is Some Fantastic Place - and that's up against some stiff competition.

I miss them. It always used to be wonderful seeing them live - particularly in the early days. Jools Holland would be extremely drunk and wobble around the stage but play brilliantly when needed.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
goodbyegirl

Post by goodbyegirl »

Oh how I love when you all talk about Squeeze, I miss them so!
I haven't posted in a verrrry long time but just wanted to add one thing.
I picked up Chris Difford's solo cd (30bucks in USA). Not knowing what to expect, I thought it was surprisingly very well crafted and not to mention it seems to be quite personal and emotional. A must for Squeeze fans. I'm not surprised that Chris wasn't able to do justice to these songs live. I can't explain it but there are some production qualities that would seem hard to replicate live. Now, I'm going to have a beer.