napoleon dynamite

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
miss buenos aires

napoleon dynamite

Post by miss buenos aires »

How is it that this movie seems to have nothing at all to do with Elvis? What a weird coincidence...
daybreaker

Post by daybreaker »

Link

"Title Note: (12/2/03) This movie shares its title from the pseudonym of "Napoleon Dynamite" that singer/songwriter Elvis Costello credited himself as for his 1986 album, 'Blood and Chocolate' (narrating the album under the guise of the fictional character). (12/8/03) Executive producer Jeremy Coon has written in to clarify that "the name is not derived from Elvis Costello and that the film has nothing to do w/ him. We got the name from a real person the director met while in Chicago several years ago which could be indirectly related to Costello, but we were not aware of the connection before we did the film." Makes sense to me... if I hadn't done a search on "Napoleon Dynamite" while preparing this preview page, I wouldn't have known about the Elvis Costello connection either. "
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

It's funny how the main character of the film LOOKS like a high school kid who owns This Year's Model on vinyl. I'm excited because I've always wanted to know what Rushmore would have been like had it been directed by Todd Solondz.
Last edited by El Vez on Sat May 15, 2004 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DrJ

Post by DrJ »

There was a movie on tv the other month called "I Want You" with Rachel Weiss (?sp) being the most famous person in it. Anyhoo it seemed to be some kind of brooding, dark sexual thriller which featured a stripper taking her clothes off to that particular EC tune. Didn't watch the whole thing, just the important bits!

DrJ
Tlentifini Maarhaysu
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

A few preview commentson this movie have been wondering about a Costello connection - here`s what the maker said in Jan. -

http://www.sltrib.com/2004/Jan/01192004/utah/130531.asp

Though Elvis Costello fans may recognize the name from one of the singer's mid-'80s personas, Hess said Napoleon Dynamite was the name of someone he met while on his mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Chicago.
"He asked, 'How come you people are called elders?' " Hess said. "We asked 'What's your name, sir?' He said, 'My name's Napoleon Dynamite.' I thought, 'That is the freshest name I've ever heard.' "
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

What a coincidence.

I wonder if there's a shop somewhere in the world - Barbados perhaps - called Kojak Variety.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://comingsoon.net/news.php?id=5116

Jared Hess & Jon Heder on Napoleon Dynamite Source: Edward Douglas Friday, June 11, 2004

CS!: Where did the name come from?
Hess: I was a Mormon missionary in Venezuela and in Chicago for two years when I was 19. In Chicago, I met an old Italian guy, who came over and his name was Napoleon Dynamite. I wrote it down since that was the freshest name I've ever heard. We shot the film in July of 2003 and two days before we wrapped, one of our extras was like "Yeah, so is this named after Elvis Costello's alias name on one of his albums?" I got online that night after we wrapped and found out that there was an album in 1986, where he used that name. Had I known that before I shot it, I probably would have changed the name. It was an interesting coincidence because I'm not a Costello fan.
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

This film seems to be a sleeper hit stateside. Anyone seen it?
http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/2004/NPDYN.php
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

A film by a Mormon missionary who's NOT a Costello fan that uses for its title my favorite of EC's personae accidentally? I think I might not be interested in seeing this.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
SweetPear

Post by SweetPear »

noiseradio wrote:A film by a Mormon missionary who's NOT a Costello fan that uses for its title my favorite of EC's personae accidentally? I think I might not be interested in seeing this.
Noise~ You made me laugh out loud.
:lol: :lol:
I'm not angry anymore....
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

That's your loss, because this is a gem of a film. By turn hilariously funny, then creepy, and then truly weird, this is one of the best films I've seen all year. Great, great stuff, I cant wait to see it again, I'll buy the dvd.
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

The film has reached cult status here. I have seen it three times in the theatre, with my son, my daughter, and my wife. My wife hated it. My kids and I love it.

Gaaaaawwwwssssshhhhhhhhhh. Luckeeeeyyyyyy.

What a great character. The creepy interludes are all set-ups...they set the stage for one thing (the expected) and then pull the rug out from under you.

This has a Raising Arizona feel but with a very low budget feel and a subscript flow. The dance scene at the end is worth the price of admission, especially after the perfect character development. The lead is supposedly a high school aged kid, but he is actually about 28 years old.

Vote for Pedro. Go and expect nothing. I think it is quite entertaining. And if you go, don't leave at the end. After the credits roll...long after the movie has 'ended' there is a final scene that is worth staying for.

Vote for Pedro.
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
alexv

Post by alexv »

Ditto, Mr. A. My 11 yearl old daughter dragged me to this, and I laughed until it hurt. A very sweet and hilarious movie.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

noiseradio wrote:A film by a Mormon missionary who's NOT a Costello fan that uses for its title my favorite of EC's personae accidentally? I think I might not be interested in seeing this.
What a cracker! :lol:
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Deja Vu all over again....
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

You know, Mr. Average, it hadn't even occured to me like that. Honestly.

"What a cracker!", in Australian slang, means "what a funny!"; "what a beauty!";"what a classic!", etc. In other words, I thought that what noise had said was pretty funny.
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Thanks for the clarification. It wasn't a comment about you. It was a reprise of a past epithet that struck me...not the source. Although, I am curious as to how I came to mind in the One Word Answers forum of SL?
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

Incredibly the post credit sequence hasn't been included on the prints being used over here, I read details of it here , so I'm having the dvd downloaded that has it. This dvd can, of course, be ordered through this.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Mr. Average wrote:Thanks for the clarification. It wasn't a comment about you. It was a reprise of a past epithet that struck me...not the source.
OK.
Mr. Average wrote:Although, I am curious as to how I came to mind in the One Word Answers forum of SL?
It's really very simple. I wanted to see what So Lack would say about you, which I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with.
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Okay. Thanks. Just curious.

Just Curious Indeed...

Have a Happy Holiday Season, a Merry Christmas, and a Happy New Year.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Indeed.

Hey, Mr. Average... how's it going, man?

You know, I'm glad we agree on one thing. And that's, that there's nothing wrong with curiosity.

Thanks for your sincere wishes, and the same to you.
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Actually, the truth be told, we probably agree on far more than you can imagine. Imagine that!

Hope that thought doesn't ruin your holiday!

My strong sentiments and passionate belief systems can lead me to places that I don't really wish to go, but I end up going anyway.

Indeed I do!
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Actually, I think we quite often misuse the word 'actually'.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

just don't use 'in all actuality.'

that makes me violent.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

My trigger is "orientated" vs oriented.

And as an anatomist, the upper airway section that houses the vocal cords (pharynx) is pronounced "Fair inks". Not "fair nicks".

Finally, lots and lots of people pronounce Philadelphia as Philadelthia.

I crap you negative.

And It see no abuse or misuse of the term actually, if it is intended to convey "in reality" or "factually".