Pseuds Corner

Pretty self-explanatory
Gilbert

Pseuds Corner

Post by Gilbert »

Has any read anything more pretentious than the tosh that Steve has published about his solo album???

Here's what it says on his website...

Everywhere I travel, I record sound out of the window, with my portable DAT machine. I also take a snap-shot of each window with a digital camera. Two musical themes, one representing a man, the other a woman, interact with these ambiances, so that the music and the couple the music seeks to represent, embark on a voyage, as if searching each other, across all the planet, and beyond……

Huh????
But are the tunes any good???
Four eyes - one vision
Misha

Re: Pseuds Corner

Post by Misha »

Gilbert wrote:Has any read anything more pretentious than the tosh that Steve has published about his solo album???

Here's what it says on his website...

Everywhere I travel, I record sound out of the window, with my portable DAT machine. I also take a snap-shot of each window with a digital camera. Two musical themes, one representing a man, the other a woman, interact with these ambiances, so that the music and the couple the music seeks to represent, embark on a voyage, as if searching each other, across all the planet, and beyond……

Huh????
But are the tunes any good???
I don't think it's pretentious, I think it is Artist Talk. Obviously he is incredibly creative, and this is what he was mulling over as he created it....so pretentious? Dunno.

Is it any good? Dunno, but I have two on order, I'll let ya know....

:D
Where are the strong?

Who are the trusted?
Paul B

Post by Paul B »

I'm with Steve on this one, he's got the muse.
bobster

Post by bobster »

At the risk of making Steve sounds like "Bones" McCoy....

He's a keyboard player, not a #$@#$ wordsmith!
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

I'm married to what in this town is referred to as a computer nerd. He doesn't mind being called that - he likes what he does and the pay is good. There's lots of nerds in this technical town.

Steve is a piano nerd, if you will. It's pretty much the same thing. He's completely absorbed in what he does and understands it on a higher level than many others.

And you're right, bobster. He's not a man of words. :wink:
cbartal

Post by cbartal »

I guess I'm with Steve on this one.

I'm also a computer programmer, and sometimes late at night at my office building I'll walk around the empty cubicles and steal pens, spare change, and once and awhile a candy bar or leftover cookie.

I guess, like Steve, I'm kind of just expanding my professional horizon.

Sometimes I'll also get down on my knees and sniff the empty office chairs of my coworkers...

I guess that's a little different.
sulkygirl
Location: The Absolute Armpit of the USA--Yakima, Washington (***cough***)

Post by sulkygirl »

cbartal wrote:Sometimes I'll also get down on my knees and sniff the empty office chairs of my coworkers...

I guess that's a little different.
Eeeeeeeeeeewwww....

Uh, that was a little more info than I really needed to know...

Cope, is that you???

:oops:
"Love can be stranger than fiction..."
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

But cbartl, can you write music about it? :wink:
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

If you can walk the walk, then you can talk whatever the hell talk you so desire. Ultimately, an artist is judged on the walk. And, with apologies to the Book of James, Steve has not only walked the good walk, he has run the good race more than once (artistically speaking, of course).

Don't worry///it's far to much of a stretch for me to weave my "There is Only One Master of Life and Death" credo into this thread.
Last edited by Mr. Average on Sat Jan 31, 2004 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
pip_52

Post by pip_52 »

Actually, he is a man of words. He wrote/is writing a novel which he used to have part of up on his website. Alas, in the midst of the "spring clean" which has been going on a full year now, it got taken down.

Im not sure if he's finished it yet or not though . . .
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

Two musical themes, one representing a man, the other a woman, interact with these ambiances, so that the music and the couple the music seeks to represent, embark on a voyage, as if searching each other, across all the planet, and beyond……
It did sort of sound like something Wayne Newton might say. But, hell, Wayne's an artist too. He really packs em' in at the Stardust. :P
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
lapinsjolis

Post by lapinsjolis »

The man is brilliant and is giving an insight to his creative process. (I confess a love for the description) Plus he's blessed with mad genius hair-he can do no wrong.

It's Wayne Newton's impeccable manners that pack them in because he always says thank you. (That's a joke that perhaps only you'd enjoy Boy With A Problem).
"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."
bobster

Post by bobster »

pip_52 wrote:Actually, he is a man of words. He wrote/is writing a novel which he used to have part of up on his website. Alas, in the midst of the "spring clean" which has been going on a full year now, it got taken down.

Im not sure if he's finished it yet or not though . . .
That's the problem with being a writer -- everyone thinks they're one too -- even genius level piano players. He might even be one -- though I can never follow his journal entries.

Also, not much good seems to result from former Attractions writing novels....
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

(That's a joke that perhaps only you'd enjoy Boy With A Problem).
...and a german sense of humor.....
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
lapinsjolis

Post by lapinsjolis »

I meant it as a compliment, as you made me laugh. I appreciate silliness, thank you for yours.
"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

Steve's writing style probably reads so odd because he's probably thinking in French, since he spends most of his time there. He's in good company then since Saamuel Beckett wrote most of his work in French first, before treating us all to the English version.
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

Steve's writing style probably reads so odd because he's probably thinking in French, since he spends most of his time there. He's in good company then since Samuel Beckett wrote most of his work in French first, before treating us all to the English version.
Sometimes I'll also get down on my knees and sniff the empty office chairs of my coworkers...

This has to be the funniest thing I've read in ages, many thanks. It will stick in my mind forever.
Last edited by martinfoyle on Sat Jan 31, 2004 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pip_52

Post by pip_52 »

lapinsjolis wrote: Plus he's blessed with mad genius hair-he can do no wrong.
Truer words were never spoken! I guess so long as he puts a picture of himself, or of his hair at the very least, on the back cover or somewhere, he's in like flynn. Bestseller!
Bobster wrote:Also, not much good seems to result from former Attractions writing novels....
This is true. But Steve's novel is actually an original novel, not just an account of former attractions' hijinks on the road. I remember it had a fairly interesting premise, but thats about all I can recall. Im just saying. Not that Im too hung up on Steve or anything . . .

:oops:
cbartal

Post by cbartal »

martinfoyle wrote:

This has to be the funniest thing I've read in ages, many thanks. It will stick in my mind forever.

Thanks Martin, that's nice.

And by the way, most of the credit for that one goes to Jack Handey, not the author, but the obvious inspiration.
cbartal

Post by cbartal »

Hey pip,

What the h*ll are you doing posting on this board so often?

Shouldn't you being on Monster looking for a job?

Yust Yoking, I'll call you soon to catch up.
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

pip_52 wrote:
lapinsjolis wrote: Plus he's blessed with mad genius hair-he can do no wrong.
Truer words were never spoken! I guess so long as he puts a picture of himself, or of his hair at the very least, on the back cover or somewhere, he's in like flynn. Bestseller!
Eeeeeep!!