They Killed the Song

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
taz
Site Admin

They Killed the Song

Post by taz »

So alright, everybody list for me songs that they thought were really good, but through constant radio airplay, in bars, at clubs, etc. were completely and utterly ruined!!!

My current issue is with Outkasts' "HeyYa" and the other one (I Like the way you move...etc.) These are great songs and I love the Outkast CD and I loved these songs originally, however after constant airplay on everything from the Clear Channel conglomerate to to local hip hop station that I simply cannot stand them anymore and am forced to skip them on the cd.

Give me ones that the general population (not to sound too arrogant) have ruined for you....
A lot of Christians wear crosses around their necks. Do you think when Jesus comes back he ever wants to see a fuckin' cross? It's kind of like going up to Jackie Onassis with a rifle pendant on.
A rope leash

Vague nightmares of social frustration

Post by A rope leash »

It was a couple of years back. I think the song was called The Way, by some band from Austin. Boy did that song get irritating. It's like a one night stand that starts coming on really strong the next morning wanting to be your girlfriend and shit.

Same thing happened years ago to a little song called Leave Me Alone by Billy Joel. Why do corporations make me hate everything I like?

Why can't they run a few Elvis songs into the ground? I suppose there's no time...
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

"Lust For Life" has been completely ruined through commercialization.
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

she drives me crazy--fine young cannibals
tom sawyer
start me up
and now, ruined forever, the first cut is the deepest
I'm not concerned about the very poor.
sulkygirl
Location: The Absolute Armpit of the USA--Yakima, Washington (***cough***)

Post by sulkygirl »

Boy With A Problem wrote:"Lust For Life" has been completely ruined through commercialization.
I picked up that album in a bargain bin back in the 70's for $1.99...absolutely LOVED it, was told by "cool" people that it was absolute noise, complete crap.

Now, although I DO feel vindicated, I have to agree...the song just ISN'T FUN anymore...
:evil:
"Love can be stranger than fiction..."
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

"Lust For Life" remains one of my favourite songs, though I agree that it's totally been bastardized.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
girl out of time

Post by girl out of time »

i couldn´t agree more....lust for life & start me up, definitely ruined....

..others i can think of........dire straits/ your latest trick
eric clapton/ wonderful tonight
born in the u.s.a./ bruce springsteen
...the promise of indulgence in my confidential voice approached inmortal danger but you´ll never know how close....
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

"Won't Get Fooled Again" by The Who
"Rock 'n' Roll" by Led Zeppelin
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
costellopunk

Post by costellopunk »

i think what ruined nirvana for me for quite a while was the nonstop playing of heart shaped box. not that it isn't a good song it just got played way too much. years later i was having a lapse of judgement and was watching mtv when out of nowhere a bosstones video started playing. i was stoked that the bosstones were getting some play until they started playing that song all the time and it started showing up in movie advertisments. good song, but i couldn't listen to it for years later.
-it takes a long time but god dies too/but not before he sticks it to you-
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

Veronica

(poppet states that which is well known by board members yet again.)
... name the stars and constellations,
count the cars and watch the seasons....
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

This is straying a tad from original definition but Behind Blue Eyes is damaged goods to me now that Limp Bizkit has covered it.
A rope leash

100% correct

Post by A rope leash »

I whole heartedly agree.

There's a whole lot of "coulda-been" hits from The Who that Limpy Bisquick could have done, but no, the cynical bastards have to go for the easy stuff. It was a hit once, so it will be a hit again, all dressed up in modern clothes.

Well, let me tell ya somethin'. Limp Bisquick ain't got nuthin' on The Who.

And didn't The Boys of Summer suck hard enough the first time?
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Yes, it did. But I actually think the cover is better than Don Henley's original. Not that it's very good. They shoudl have done "All She Wants to Do is Dance."

Speaking of covers: I really like the Lemonheads remake of "Mrs. Robinson." I know this was over 10 years ago, but I haven't stopped liking it. Evidently, Paul Simon hated it, which is kind of funny.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare