Your Christmas list

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
HungupStrungup

Your Christmas list

Post by HungupStrungup »

What CDs, DVDs, books and other items of interest do you expect Santa or your loved ones to leave under the tree for you? I've already mentioned that my mom is giving me Let It Be . . . . . Naked. Otherwise, I've asked for and sort of expect:

The Essential Bruce Springsteen, two discs of material I have and one of rarities, unreleased and live tracks I mostly don't.
The Lennon Legend DVD
Calexico's Feast of Wire
and the Jools Holland Ten Years Later DVD

With any luck, I'll have a little Christmas money with which to buy any of these that Santa forgets.
"But it's a dangerous game that comedy plays
Sometimes it tells you the truth
Sometimes it delays it"
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

I blatantly asked for a good American dictionary and a frame for my diploma. Everything else, I'm leaving up to fate.
RedShoes

Post by RedShoes »

All I'm really hoping for is money....debt sucks :(
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Well, DrS brought me back a lovely set of jewelry from Munich last month and I've got Elvis tics for the Ryman in February. Christmas could come and go at this point and I wouldn't even care except for taking care of presents for the ones I love. I'm really pretty happy already.

But I'm still frantically clicking the amazon button above to place last minute orders for Christmas for the kids! :o
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Oh cool thread Stringy...

Im hoping Father Chrimbo will bring me Futurama DVD box set 3&4, Im Alan Partridge season 2 DVD, the 2004 Beano book and a big expensive bird 'encyclopedia' (or coffee table book) that just came out.

Thought about asking for a phillipino bride...but I know as soon as January rolls round I'll lose interest in her. Remember a mail order bride is for life, not just for christmas.
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

Right. You might want to look at epinions.com before purchasing your mail order bride. A good consumer is an informed consumer.

Me, I'm hoping for gift certificates - books, cds, food - I'm too picky and I'm not comfortable making lists - nothing like the disappointment of not getting the one thing on your list you really want (I never, ever got the slot cars and now it's way too late).
HungupStrungup

Post by HungupStrungup »

miss buenos aires wrote:I blatantly asked for a good American dictionary and a frame for my diploma. Everything else, I'm leaving up to fate.
Yeah, fate's good. My loved ones, however, are quite insistent in asking for a list, and they can be persuasive.
Sometimes it delays it"
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

Winning the lottery wouild be nice.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
DrSpooky
Site Admin

Post by DrSpooky »

Spooky has let me have a shopping spree the past few days so I have a new DVD burner to install. I am sure she will come up with other nice things for me. But mostly I am looking forward to that especially spooky Christmas after dark. :shock:
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

All I'm sayin' is UnEarthed!
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Yeah, I'd love Unearthed. If people are feeling generous I wouldn't mind that Looney Tunes DVD set either.

But I think all I'm getting (if anything) is money.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

i don't have a list. no family to exchange gifts with.

if i'm lucky, i'll get something i like (i do exchange gifts w/ a small set of friends). if i'm unlucky, i'll get crap. either way is okay, though of course i'd prefer NOT crap.

i like wrapping gifts best. i could hire myself out as a professional wrapper, if i had the spare time.
... name the stars and constellations,
count the cars and watch the seasons....
pip_52

Post by pip_52 »

I said anything on my Amazon wish list and I would be happy. Most specifically The All Music Guide, The Ramones Anthology, Johnny Cash American Recordings 3, the Ultimate Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, and well, anything else on there really.

And chocolate.
HungupStrungup

Post by HungupStrungup »

The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide is a wonderful gift. It contains all five novels in the "Hitchhiker trilogy," plus a short story called "Young Zaphod Plays It Safe." Almost anyone who likes to laugh would love having that as a present.
Sometimes it delays it"
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

Nothing....I need nothing material.....maybe more poon tang....
I'd never leave the house if I had a Gimp
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

News that Elvis is playing a gig in Dublin would be good enough for me.
Lipstick

Post by Lipstick »

I got a crazy notion a couple months ago that I wanted to learn to play Conga drums. Noise has enthusiastically taken care of that wish--I think he wants a drummer chic for Christmas.

The other day 2 giagantic boxes arrived from MusiciansFriend.com. My mother-in-law was here and saw what was inside. She said if she got something like that for Xmas she would be devestated....so I bet they're really cool.
Don't bury me 'cause I'm not dead yet.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Cope,

I think you should ask Santa for a new obsession. Possibly a hobby that would take your mind off all the compensating you feel you have to do.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

Noize...please tell me what I'm compensating for and what is wrong with my sexual lust???? What about that evokes such strong feelings in you that you feel the need to attempt to shame me into changing my attitude?

just curious....I hope you come up with an honest answer.
I'd never leave the house if I had a Gimp
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

Peace on Earth. and for the trans-siberian orchestra to have a mid-air collision with satan.
I'm not concerned about the very poor.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Cope,

I just fail to see your need to constantly referrence your sexual appetites. I may be wrong here, but I'll venture a guess that most folks are not interested in them at all. In a thread about people's Christmas wish lists, you want "more poon tang." Besides being a rather gross sexual referrence on an otherwise blissfully genital-free thread, the term itself is terribly misogynistic. It reduces women to their reproductive organs. More to the point, it reduces women to the reproductive organs you wish to exploit. If it had been a comment entirely out of character for you, I would likely have not made the joke. But I think its all too common that you pepper your posts with sex referrences where they really are terribly out of place. Like Beavis and Butthead, the majority of your humor seems to involve taking things people said and making them into sexual references ("heh heh...he said bone...heh heh"). You appear to be the master of the single entendre. And it's not that I don't get it. It's just that humor based on bodily functions is so easy and so really common that it's not funny. Especially the hundredth time. Post away, express yourself. But was it really essential within the space of a couple of days, on two separate threads, to let us know that for Christmas you would like both "more poon tang" and "a whore that can suck the chrome off a bumper?" Isn't that redundant? Or is their some categorization of women that you use that I don't understand (e.g. a "whore" is one kind of woman and "poon tang" is another. Is that it? You'd like poon tang and a whore?)

The compensating comment was my way of implying that your seeming obsession with talking about your sex life may be a sort of armour--something you project to the rest of the world (who really don't know you at all and can't verify if you are who you say or if you just downloaded someone else's picture and are actually 300 pounds in a bath robe) to cover up your own feelings of inadequacy. I don't know if that would be fear of sexual inadequacy or just some sort of emotional arrested development, but I suspect you are plagued by both to some degree.

Any strong feelings I have come from the fact that I think most women are probably pretty offended by the constant objectification that those types of comments create in our culture. Women who succeed in the workplace are snickered at behind their backs, and accused by men who didn't get the promotion of sleeping their way to the top. They are constantly referred to by men as body parts (like, say, "poon tang") or by pehoratives that imply their promiscuity (like "ho" and bitch"). That offends me for the same reason that racist remarks against African Americans and Asians offend me--not because I'm a woman, black, or Asian, but because my freedom is inextricably bound to the freedom of every other human being. Degrade women, and half the world is oppressed. You're certainly free to post these things. And I wll insist on my freedom to call you on it.

I hope that answers your question. It's certainly an honest answer.

*raising a clenched left fist, and bowing his head slightly*
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
SoLikeCandy

Post by SoLikeCandy »

Preach on, brotha. ::picks afro::

High on my list this year will be peace on Earth...or at least on this damn board.

I have to agree with Noise's--er--thorough explanation of why Cope possess a porcine mind. Everyone on this board thinks about sex at least once every day (sometimes more!), but doesn't feel the need to share. So, Cope, please get a grip. On your MIND, you Filthy McNasty.
If there's one thing you can say about mankind--there's nothing kind about man
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Yeah man, show some class.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
RedShoes

Post by RedShoes »

Well stated, Noise.
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

i feel confident when i say that most actually well-equipped, well-balanced gentlemen do not feel the need to prattle on about it. you don't see liam neeson running around hollywood going "would you fancy a look at me big tallywhacker? i swear i have one!"

i wish to edit my wish. an astute pm'er has suggested a mid-air involving mannheim steamroller instead of satan would be more festive.
Last edited by oily slick on Thu Dec 11, 2003 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not concerned about the very poor.