Yes i'd like to see him experiment more with something different again
64%
No i'd like to see the old Elvis back
36%

Total votes: 33

Gillibeanz

Next Elvis album?

Post by Gillibeanz »

OK so we have had 2 very different albums from the man now. I personally would like to see him revert back to the old style for the next one what about you lot?
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

lol.. there should be more than one category under experimental. I'd like to see him experiment with more rootsy musics like folk, country, blues, etc. In some ways that recalls the older Elvis of King Of America, but it's still a form of musical experimentation.

Honestly I think any good album is experimental to some degree, even if it uses conventional methods. Elvis is always staying innovative.. that's the whole point...
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Lipstick

Post by Lipstick »

At the risk of looking like a techno-moron:

How do you vote on these polls?

I can't seem to find a link, and the FAQ's left me puzzled.
Don't bury me 'cause I'm not dead yet.
Lipstick

Post by Lipstick »

Okay, this time I got a screen to vote. So ignore the above post.

Geez, for awhile there I felt like I was in a Twilight Zone in Florida: "Help, I can't vote! I can't vote..."

Back to the topic:

I support any artist's desire to keep experimenting with new sounds and directions. Even if I don't enjoy some of these experiments, the artist will grow and come back with better, deeper, richer and fuller material.
Don't bury me 'cause I'm not dead yet.
pip_52

Post by pip_52 »

Id like to see him do a blues/soul album, I think his voice would work really well on something like that.

Or if he really felt like experimenting and wanted to try, say, hip hop . . . I think I could get behind him on that one too.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

The day Elvis tries a hip-hop album is the day he loses me as a fan :D
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
pip_52

Post by pip_52 »

I think it would be hilarious and extremely entertaining. Maybe not his best album ever . . . but you never know, he might surprise you :wink:

But wouldnt you just have to buy it? I think a sort of morbid curiousity would get the best of me.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Hmm. Yeah, kind of like Keith Moon's solo album "Two Sides Of The Moon"
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

I'd like him to experiment in the rowdy rhytm realm some more. How's that for a fence-straddlin'?
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
bobster

Post by bobster »

BlueChair wrote:The day Elvis tries a hip-hop album is the day he loses me as a fan :D
I thought WIWC sorta was....

Actually, I think BC is right. If it's good, it's going to be experimental in some way.

Strictly for commercial reasons, though, I think he needs to take a break from the sort of nouveau adult pop mode of "North" and "Painted from Memory" for at least a year or so -- though I remember him talking about a symphonic pop rock album at some point. That could either be cool...or it could be the Moody Blues. (Now I'd like an emoticon expressing, deep, deep fear, please.)

Another soul-ish album would be neat. He hasn't really done that since "Get Happy" and now maybe he could work with some of the actual soul people who are still working and still have their brains intact. Maybe Lamont Dozier and whichever Hollands are avialable or the songwriting team (can't recall their names right now) who wrote "Cloud 9" and "Papa Was a Rolling Stone"...I know he wants to do something with Aretha F.....
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
cbartal

Post by cbartal »

I'd love to see him do Hip-Hop. In fact, Pills and Soap was kinda Hip Hoppy, so much so that Tricky jumped on it and hip hopped away.

I think hip hop is an incredibly interesting and flexible genre.

The Blues, however, I dunno, I don't really see the point. He's already done a few Blues tunes on record, Eisenhower, etc.

Personally I think that genre is limited and exhausted already.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

I think Elvis should not be afraid of hip hop. Or anything else for that matter. There's some fantastic hip hop out there. I think the new Outkast album has some of the best music in any genre in years on it.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
pip_52

Post by pip_52 »

The question is whether you would want to see a 50 year old Englishman singing hip hop . . .

And I think the answer to that is yes, absolutely you would!

Just think of the concerts he could do . . . in a black suit. It would be great.

On the blues/soul thing I was thinking of something along the lines of the songs he's written for Solomon Burke and Howard Tate. I think something like that would turn out really, really well.

Remember when he said he had just written 40 of his best songs ever? And North only has 11. Wonder when we'll see the rest of those . . .
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Yes but I think the whole rap thing would end up seeming more like a joke than something anyone will take seriously.
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

I want him to do whatever moves him at the moment. I like it when he suprises me. If it's an experiment, so be it. Someone here once mentioned that if Elvis farted in a jar, he would buy it, and I'm right there with that. I don't always love everything he does, but I listen to all of it and I've always found something that gets my attention.

Admittedly, I've listened to 'For The Stars' exactly twice. I appreciate the effort. Isn't that what parents say to their kids when the effort fails?!

And just so I'm not totally noncommittal, that blues/soul thing Pip was talking about sounds good.
It's a radiation vibe I'm groovin' on
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Crap, I think I hit the wrong button.

Let's have a break from the experimental "musical project" thing and get back a little of that old Elvis magic. I mean, I love the man, and I'm dedicated to just about everything he has done, but I think I would enjoy his old style.

But I just don't know if that will old stuff will happen with a new gal in his life.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Agree with Bobster about the commercial thing, and also with Goody about whatever he feels like will be good if he's comitted to it.

I'd prefer to hear another Blood and Chocolate/Spike kind of thing, a bit 'rocky' but with some simpler songs. If it was a new thing, then Blue is right, I'd love to hear a folk record..a Sweetheart of the Rodeo thing, but not necessarily covers. Although EC doing Woody Guthrie songs would be godlike!

What about if EC did a dance album with that prat Tricky (saying that I do like Martina Topley-Bird's Quixotic...anyone else?). I like the Chemical Bros a bit, Fatboy Slims done 2 good records and The All Seeing I are good (Pickled eggs and Sherbet is a cracking record, and was collaborated with Jarvis Cocker, Tony Christie and Babybird), but most trance music is pants...anyone else have opinions on this kinda music? Sorry to go off topic Gilli.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Rap done badly is always a bad thing. And 97% of it is done very badly. But I wouldn'tassume that Elvis would do it badly. He might. And if so, out of respect for the art form, he should leave it be. I'm just saying that I wouldn't put it beyond him to turn out a great hip hop disc. He could even do the Arrested Development/Spearhead kind of thing and sing over hip hop beats. It wouldn't have to be a crotch-grabbing, bitch-slapping thing. The more I think about this, the more I really want him to do it.
--William Shakespeare
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

pip_52 wrote:Just think of the concerts he could do . . . in a black suit. It would be great.
No way! He'd have to dress the part! :lol: :lol:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Watching_Detectives

Post by Watching_Detectives »

I'm a fan of North, but I'm more of a fan of his old stuff. But I think a blue album would be great, too.
It nearly took a mircacle to get you to stay
It only took my little finger to blow you away.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

I'm really enjoying Missy Elliot whenever I hear her on MTV or the radio...but is she a rapper or a hiphop artist? Whats the difference?
migdd

Post by migdd »

I guess we all know that the next album will be the "Midsummer Night's" symphony to be released in "late 2004". Sure seems like a long way off, though. Perhaps there will be time in mid-2004 (?) to plan/record an additional album or at least treat us to an Imposters mini-tour. Also, Elvis recording contract only stipulates he deliver to Universal/Island/Deutsche Grammophon 2 more albums over the next 3 years (and we already know what one of those albums will be) so what's to come after that? Doesn't look like there's too much "rowdy" Elvis in the foreseeable future. . .but who knows.
Misha

Post by Misha »

noiseradio wrote:Rap done badly is always a bad thing. And 97% of it is done very badly. But I wouldn'tassume that Elvis would do it badly.
Doesn't he spit enough already when he sings? No need to add rap to the mix!! I'm all about the experimental thing, but when he rocks, he ROCKS.

So, maybe a dance album wouldn't be horrible, ah, who am I kidding, I'd buy it and give it a shot, even if it was gansta rap!!

He would need to invest in a very large and heavy necklace, but he might get Beyonce to work with him, which he has mentioned....

Oh, Lord....
Where are the strong?

Who are the trusted?
whtesde

Post by whtesde »

Considering that one of the things I admire most about the man is his stubborn refusal to stick to one genre, he could record an album called Elvis Costello Recites Rod McKuen Poems Over the Natural Sounds of the Rainforest For You! and I'd buy it. I'm sad that way.

Although I still cling to my idea of a concept album of duets with his most recent ex-wife.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

He'd need to work on his hand movements...

"Yo, these few raps I'll devote
to a badass hoe attending the El show"