Recent CD Purchases

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Are British music stores cutting prices to survive vs. the internet/Tesco et al? I was surprised by how many £9.99 CDs Virgin had recently. I rarely buy in any other shop than the mighty Fopp now.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Sufjan Stevens' Illinois.

Like Nick Drake at a Charles Ives concert.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

Beepin' & Boppin' - Louis Prima

If you like The Brian Setzer Orchestra you will probably like this. However, the songs are from the forties and fifties so the recordings have that old hiss to it.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
Otis Westinghouse

As it was my birthday, nipped into Fopp to splash some cash:

Bob Dylan - Love and Theft & Nashville Skyline [remastered] (gotta prepare for November's gig, and have never even heard the latter)

Gillian Welch - Revival (have high hopes, but know it won't match gthe stunning Time)

Nick Drake - Pink Moon (and have never heard all of this either)

Johnny Cash - At Folsome Prison (my first Johnny LP. A good place to start? Great to have I Still Miss Someone from him. Have played the first few - sounding great.)

Rufus Wainwright - Poses

So nothing new, but all of these for £5 a pop, apart from Nashville S, £7. Can't argue with that. I now have CDs coming out of my ears, with these and other recent acquisitions. Heaven.
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

Otis Westinghouse wrote: Gillian Welch - Revival (have high hopes, but know it won't match gthe stunning Time)

"Orphan Girl" and "Paper Wings" are two of my all time favorite songs. I think Revival is fantastic although it bugs me how there is this faction of roots music fans who insist that each of her records since her debut is weaker than the one before it. Makes me want to get my shotgun and learn 'em good.
Otis Westinghouse

Cool! Am off to check out the LP. Will let you know.
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

Am also in a retro mood, recently acquired:

The Band
Nick Lowe - The Impossible Bird
Fleetwood Mac - Mr Wonderful
John Lennon - Plastic Ono Band
Tom Waits - Big Time
The Four Tops - At Their Very Best

and to bring myself up to date (and prepare for the gig in a few weeks):
Lucinda Williams - Live @ The Fillmore
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

Well, congratulations, Otis! Six very enjoyable albums!

Is your Rufus collection complete now? (Isn't Poses great? Cigarettes & Chocolate Milk, Greek Song, California, and not least the smart cover of Loudon's One Man Guy, which obviously takes on a new meaning when sung by 'a gay' - last two words meant to be pronounced with the wonderful Welsh accent of Daffyd from Little Britain.) If it is, and you don't have too many new records to listen to, you can't go wrong with The McGarrigle Hour, which includes originals and covers from the whole family (and Emmylou harris and other guests), including a heartwrenching version of Irving Berlin's What'll I Do, where both Rufus and Loudon outdo themselves. Not even Ron's cover of it comes close. And Martha's debut has grown on me something mad. I can't imagine life without it.

Your next Johnny Cash CD should be one of the Rubin-produced American Recordings ones. They're all perfect, but I'd especially recommend #3, Solitary Man, with the wonderful cover of bonnie 'prince' billy's I See A Darkness on it.

In fact, I think I'm going to have to listen to some of my faves from those records before I hit the proverbial sack: Tear My Stillhouse Down, Busted, Country Pie, High Water, Greek Song, and From The Morning.
What this world needs is more silly men.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

ReadyToHearTheWorst wrote:Tom Waits - Big Time
Recently got that too, to complete my Tom Waits collection.

Fine selections, Oytis.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Fine selections, Oytis.
That was a mistake, our beloved 41 year old Otis. :lol:

Girl From The North Country from Nashville Skyline. Always makes me laugh how Bob is so deliberately reverential to Johnny yet totally reverential.
Otis Westinghouse

I ain't get Rufus's debut, but I'm sure I will in due course. Ain't played Poses yet. I've got so many new CDs in the house, it's hard to know where to start. And someone gave me Dylan Bootlegs 1-3 and also John Wesley Harding. The same someone who landed the Dylan tickets for November, and is concerned enough to ensure my Dylan education progresses apace. And I must get Martha Wainwright's LP, especially from what you say, King.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Springsteen's Darkness On The Edge Of Town and Nebraska. Have owned them on vinyl for years, but only now picked up the CDs. Am kind of sorry that I did, cause as great as having the early Springsteen on CD, the sound quality is is shit. I wonder why the Sony people haven't remastered his stuff?

Also finally picked up Ron Sexsmith's self-titled
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

BlueChair wrote:Springsteen's Darkness On The Edge Of Town and Nebraska. Have owned them on vinyl for years, but only now picked up the CDs. Am kind of sorry that I did, cause as great as having the early Springsteen on CD, the sound quality is is shit. I wonder why the Sony people haven't remastered his stuff?
I asked the same question a few months ago. I read speculation somewhere (maybe on a Bruce message board) that Springsteen had considered a reissue project but rejected the idea. There are several Springsteen discs that I would like to have on CD - The River, for example, but I'm hesitant about picking them up because of the poor sound quality of the Sony CDs - the two discs you mention are especially bad in this respect.

PS, I just stumbled across this on a UK-based Bruce fan site:

http://www.badlands.co.uk/websitehtmlpa ... dition.htm

If Born To Run is getting the deluxe treatment, I would expect the other early discs will be given the same attention.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Hmm.. I hope that's true about Born To Run, cause August is only a few weeks away and I haven't seen it mentioned on any CD release date sites.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

A little more information at the end of this article - sounds like August is a bit optimistic, but something is in the works:

http://www.nj.com/music/ledger/index.ss ... xml&coll=1

Relevant portion:

Sept. 1 is the 30th anniversary of the "Born to Run" album's release. Sancious said he is participating in a "Born to Run" reissue project whose exact form and release date have not yet been announced.

"A couple of months ago, I did an interview for a documentary that Bruce's company is making about the 30th anniversary of 'Born to Run,'" he said. "They got everybody down to New York City in a studio and filmed interviews with everybody who played on (the album), getting people to remember the sessions and tell stories about what went on. They told me that the plan was to release the documentary on the same day as the re-release of the record."
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

Thanks to the recommendation game, I just ordered Pink Flag and Young and Stupid. And also Demon Days, but for different reasons.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

miss buenos aires wrote:And also Demon Days, but for different reasons.
I like Demon Days. My daughter keeps asking me to play the video for "Feel Good, Inc.", which you can see on iTunes. It's more than a little disturbing, if you read the whole Gorillaz backstory, but I haven't shared that with her yet.

She asked me last week what zombies were and I gave her a a straight answer - dead people who rise from their graves at night and go looking for people so they can eat their brains. She got a good giggle out of it, but my wife gave me the nastiest glare.
Otis Westinghouse

Feel Good, Inc is a brilliant track.

MBA, I'm proud of you.
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

How do you like Revival, Otis?
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Got a used copy of Hank Williams' 40 Greatest Hits on the recommendation of El Vez. It must be out of print now, beacuse it was only available used through Amazon.

Just immense. One terrific tune after another - "Lost Highway", "I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry", "Long Gone Lonesome Blues" - and that's just on a little stretch of disc one. Pretty decent liner notes too.
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

Slowly but surely, I am turning this board into a bunch of hillbillies.

I'm so glad you are digging ol' Hank so much, WSS. I grew up with that cd and it's something that has stayed with me through every stage of my life pretty much.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Slowly but surely, I am turning this board into a bunch of hillbillies.
You ain't got me yet cowboy. Yeee hah
signed with love and vicious kisses
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

there's a special treatment for you.

resistance is futile.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
Otis Westinghouse

I have the same/a similar Hank comp on tape, and it's great. Would like a CD.

Elv: ain't even playd Revival! Haven't had much music playing time, and what I have had has mostly been Josh Rouse, in prep for last night's highly enjoyable gig. I did, though, put it on the other night as promised at bedtime, and drifted off during Orphan Girl, though did register how good it sounded! Soon, my friend!
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

1. Georgia Hard - Robbie Fulks. Bought this at his concert. He is the next generation country/western singer/songwriter. Thanx to El Vez.

2. Blinking Lights...... - Eels

3. It'll End In Tears - This Mortal Coil. Haunting music.

4. Mongo Santamaria's Greatest Hits - Mono Santamaria. Afro-Cuban Latin jazz. Influenced Santana and War.

5. Ten Year Night - Lucy Kaplansky. Larry Campbell is in her band.

6 If I Were A Carpenter - Various. Whatever happened to Shonen Knife? Grant Lee Buffalo does an excellent version of 'We've Only Just Begun'.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain