Recent CD Purchases

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

The Pogues - Rum, Sodomy, and The Lash.

Finally.. up until this week I had been looking in the Pogues section and seeing nothing besides Greatest Hits
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Mr. Average wrote:Damn, Sam...

My Life in the Bush of Ghosts is a top ten favorite.
According to this review of the first batch of Eno reissues, there are plans to re-release his collaborations with Fripp and Eno, which would include, I assume, "My Life in the Bush of Ghosts". Good news for me if true, as I only have it on vinyl and my turntable is on the fritz.

http://www.sonicboomrecords.com/reviews ... ?review=70
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
LittleFoole

Post by LittleFoole »

Who Shot Sam? wrote:
Mr. Average wrote:Damn, Sam...

My Life in the Bush of Ghosts is a top ten favorite.
According to this review of the first batch of Eno reissues, there are plans to re-release his collaborations with Fripp and Eno, which would include, I assume, "My Life in the Bush of Ghosts". Good news for me if true, as I only have it on vinyl and my turntable is on the fritz.
http://www.sonicboomrecords.com/reviews ... ?review=70
LOL.....exact same situation here....lots of old vinyl I can't access at the moment.....and MLITBOG is one of MY personal top tens, anyways.....it's "interesting", to say the very least...
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Mr. A, LF & WSS, got the Eno/Cale album? I'd be interested in your thoughts on it.
LittleFoole

Post by LittleFoole »

bambooneedle wrote:Mr. A, LF & WSS, got the Eno/Cale album? I'd be interested in your thoughts on it.
Sorry, can't say I have it, but I have heard it, albeit a long time ago (and in a "different" state of mind). Was alright, as I recall....prefer the Byrne/Eno, personally.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Ok... so it didn't leave a lasting impression...
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

MLITBOG (great acronym!) was a landmark in terms of the use of sampled voices and rhythms, but I never found it that pleasurable to listen to. It seemed to be Byrne and Eno hamming up their 'egghead' reputations. never came near to any of the first 6 Talking heads LPs, or the best of Eno's solo. Maybe I should reappraise it, though. I also preferred the Catherine Wheel LP that Byrne did for Twyla Tharp (!), which had some great stuff on it.

EC: Spike reissue - at long last, meaning I finally all have all of the reissues

Lloyd Cole: Bad Vibes - another completer, meaning I now have all the LPs LC has done, and this is without doubt the worst. He really sounds like he'd run out of ideas and songwriting talent on this. He acknowledged this when he played Mr Wrong on his solo 2003 tour, which is on of the few good things on it, along with So You Want To Save The World. The awful reviews this got kind of put me off LC thereafter, meaning I missed some gems like Love Story and Etc. until the noble Doofster got me back in touch.

New Order: Waiting For The Sirens' Call - someone gave me this, and I felt the same indignation I felt when reading WHAR's proud boasts of downloading anything going before it was released. For me I would be buying this regardless, and was tempted to just give the pre-release copy away so I wouldn't destroy the pleasure of getting the real thing, but, critics again, as all the reviews everywhere are distinctly lukewarm, and I have a million and one CDs I want to get on a tight budget, I decided I would just play it. So I am now a hypocrite, not sticking by my own principles. that said, I'm glad I didn't spend money on it, when there are genuine classics like Technique and the underrated Republic which I only have on tape. It has its moments, but its very predictable, and doesn't really break any new ground, which Get Ready did, despite some duffers. The typically excellent review in yesterday's Guardian by Alexis Petridis was almost exactly in line with my reaction:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/arts/fridayre ... 10,00.html

That said, I've always loved New Order, more or less unconditionally, and anything new from them is a treat, however predictable. And I love the focus on them/Joy Division right now with the 25th anniversary of the death of Curtis in May (see excellent Mojo article this month, including an interview with his daughter Natalie, who's older than he was when died, bless her), the fact that Touching From A Distance is being made into a film (although NO are sceptical about it, despite Anton Corbijn being the director), and the fact that Krafty is in the top 10 and they have been TOTP the last couple of weeks, looking increasingly middle-aged, and Peter Hook's bass antics looking more ridiculous than ever.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

I appreciate the comments on the new New Order. It was high on my list.
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

I loved MLITBOG and no longer have it.

I've been listening to Arcade Fire's record FUNERAL again today, and it occurs to me that fans of the King Crimson folks, Talking Heads and Flaming Lips should check it out-- it's really pretty in the same kind of big/lush/arty way.
LittleFoole

Post by LittleFoole »

Otis Westinghouse wrote: I also preferred the Catherine Wheel LP that Byrne did for Twyla Tharp (!), which had some great stuff on it.
Ahhhhhh, the Catherine Wheel....yet aNOTHER album I can't play.....LOL....geez, I have to get my equipment fixed/replaced :oops: ...I don't think of MLITBOG as "eggheadedness" , per se....I think it's more along the lines of being THE definitive demonstration of how to do creative sampling in an original (and kind of scary) way. It nestles in quite well with where the Heads music was at the time - rumbling kinetic poetry, just in this case, with "found objects" and samples !!! (Although I do have a fondness for The Residents "Beyond the Valley of a Day in the Life", which is a strange, strange, strange sampling of Beatles cuts wafting in and out in a ghostly manner, but has no "groove" to speak of, in the sense of Bush o' Ghosts).
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

BambooNeedle. I don't have it, and can't recall if I have ever heard it. Eno is just too dangerous for me to experiment with. When I purchased Fripp and Eno's "No Pussyfootin'" I hated it, and never gace it more than one or two plays. It may be great stuff, but after that, I made my Eno selections with caution.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Mr. Average wrote:after that, I made my Eno selections with caution.
Noted, thanks.
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

bambooneedle wrote:Mr. A, LF & WSS, got the Eno/Cale album? I'd be interested in your thoughts on it.
I'm not any of those gentlemen, but I've got it. It's a mixed bag. It's "poppier" than you might expect, yet "moody" at the same time. There are some really great hooks and lyrical moments, and there are a few songs that have that pop tendency to get stuck in your head. "Spinning Away", esp. for me. That said, it's not as fun as it should be, and I don't think it's aged well. Their fingerprints are all over it, but it's not got a lot of heart or emotion, or something like that. It spends a lot of time on the shelf here, but when it comes out, I enjoy it quite a lot. That may be primarily because it evokes a happy time and place for me, I don't know. But then it goes back on the shelf for another long period of time....
It's a radiation vibe I'm groovin' on
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Don't have that one either, sorry.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

It'd also been spending a lot of time on the shelf of a used CD shop but I bought it today. Thanks.
guidedbyvoices

Post by guidedbyvoices »

Just bought today The Decemberists - Picaresque. had downloaded a leaked copy months ago, so now had to go support one of my favorite bands!

Also got The Delivery Man deluxe edition. I almost bought it around xmas, but got wind of the bonus disc version, so just copied a friend's copy waiting for this.

And got the 2 CD deluxe version of Pavement's Crooked Rain Crooked Rain. Not the biggest pavement fan, but thought the Slanted & Enchanted double disc packed the value for $15, like EC's remasters (though Pavement hasn't already re-reissued their catalog!)
we have powerlines in our bloodlines
guidedbyvoices

Post by guidedbyvoices »

Also, not CD purchases, but I've been drinking an assload of Pepsi for the free iTunes downloads. They say 1 for 3 but I think I'm more like 3 for 4 somehow. So I downloaded 2 french Madeleine Peyroux tracks. Love them, I'm a sucker for Billie Holiday & french tunes like jje cherche un homme or la vie en rose. But I'm skeptical of the album. I find Noarh Jones & Diana Krall boring as hell. Anyone heard her album and can tell me if it's worth my $15?
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

It's okay, but if you don't like Norah Jones then you'll probably find it even duller. And the French-language appeal doesn't extend to most of the record. Although her name sounds French, she's an American singer from Athens, Georgia and most of the songs on the album are English.

That said, it's a nice enough album if you're having a dinner party or a wine tasting or something.

I reviewed it in a past issue of Being There. You can check it out here:
http://www.beingtheremag.com/content/04 ... ms.html#11
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
guidedbyvoices

Post by guidedbyvoices »

Thanks! Worth 2 bottlecaps, not my $15. Kinda what I expected.

Favorite bottlecap iTunes buys?

My Mood Swings (used to own Lebowski but sold it in th days before I got a burner)

Joey - Concrete Blond - dang, what a great forgotten song.
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Nick Cave - The Boatman's Call

I've already said it somewhere else - truly magnificent.
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Based on discussion in a previous thread, I decided to add the CD equivalents to these vinyl's that I have not played in years, but that played a significant role in my musical appreciation and range:

Gang of Four - Entertainment
Gang of Four - Solid Gold
Sticky Little Fingers - Go For It

The Gang of Four stuff is exciting as the day I heard it years and years ago. I haven't played the STiff Little Fingers yet, but as soon as I do I know the memories will flood back.

Declined on the Chemical Bros. new. Anyone have a comment? I heard it was too much of a departure, much like the new New Order.
Otis Westinghouse

Can't comment on the Chem Bros, though I think it had generaly good reviews here, but to my mind the New Order LP is too little of a departure. It's too damn predictable. I was playing Get Ready again today to contrast, and for me there's no comparison (although tedious Q magazine, which I recall gave GR a 4 or was it 5 star glowing review, and WFTSC the same 3 star that everyone else has given it). GR had a couple of average tracks (the silly Slow Jam and the tedious Rock The Shack), but there were several classics. WFTSC has one truly memorable song, the title track, which is a beaut, three or four not 'alf bad ones, the single Krafty, Turn, Guilt Is A Useless Emotion, and several that you wouldn't be bothered if you never heard again. It was heralded as being in the mould of Technique, which basically means unlike GR's generally rock beats it has some dance beats, and a reasonably clean sound, but it is nowhere near the quality of Technique. Here's my New Order list in order:

1. Technique
2. Republic
3. Get Ready
4. Low Life
5. Power, Corruption and Lies
6. Brotherhood
7. Waiting For The Sirens' Call
8. Movement

4-8 all have their moments, a classic track on every one, though possibly with the exception of the faltering Movement, but 1-3 are the most consistent. Republic is always being referred to as underrated, which means it's actually quite highly rated, but it does contain several classics, as well as the uberclassic Regret, and no duffers (I love Avalanche!). 8 LPs in 24 years. Not bad to have the reputation they do on that. And right now their stock is incredibly high, due to the new LP, the 25th anniversary of the demise of Curtis, and the making of The Film based on Touching From A Distance, which was referred to as Control by all sources until I heard it called Closer on Radio 4's Today programme the other day. I nearly choked on my toast to hear bits of LWTUA, Atmosphere, Dead Souls and Decades on Radio 4 at 8.30. If only that could have happened to me in 1980. Obviously Closer is wrong, someone's muddled up the Patrick Marber film of the play and the final JD LP.

If you are at all partial to NO, do get WFTSC, but don't expect to be overly impressed.
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

I concur with Technique at the top of the list, a great record stills sounds fresh. Fine time.

But where is "Substance" on your list. It is right up there with Technique for me. ABove Republic.

I love the EP of the anthem that they wrote for the world cup...World in Motion. 4 great variations on a great song that, to me, SHOULD have been a smash hit here in the states but never clicked. It has ALL of the right stuff for Stardom in Action acceptance.
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

I do agree about Sirens ( which btw can be previewed in its entirety on http://www.neworderonline.com ) - there are just too many bland, unmemorable songs. I'm afraid their quality control has gone down.

That said, I'm not a big fan of Get Ready as well. My top three are :
1. Technique
2. Low Life
3. not sure : either Brotherhood or Republic
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
Otis Westinghouse

Substance is a compilation! Obviously you need to have this, plus the Best of, the Rest of (with the 8-version Blue Monday remixes bonus, bien sur), and Retro, even if it makes some criminal omissions. World In Motion is the best football song ever, needless to say.

Many of their best moments are non-LPs, like so many of the great acts from yesteryear.

Another lukewarm review in today's Observer, also which was unexcited by Get Ready. I really am in a minority with it. Turn My Way is one of their loveliest songs, Crystal is a great rocker and was a perfect show opener on the last tour, the one with the 'you've got to pull yourself together' chorus (forgotten the title!), and several others. Give it a re-listen, go on.