Recently viewed films

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

Geez, I put a big fucking sign saying SPOILERS. Wasnt that a clue?
echos myron like a siren
with endurance like the liberty bell
and he tells you of the dreamers
but he's cracked up like the road
and he'd like to lift us up, but we're a very heavy load
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

language, sir.... :roll:

I was mostly kidding anyway
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Tim(e)

Post by Tim(e) »

miss buenos aires wrote:Infernal Affairs is coming to my house tomorrow, and somehow I don't care at all about The Departed. All those actors kind of bore me. At least they've all bored me for the last ten years.
Have heard a lot of good things about Infernal Affairs (not seen it myself, strangely enough).

As far as Di Caprio is concerned, I only consider him to have played one great role... in What's Eating Gilbert Grape.
strangerinthehouse

Post by strangerinthehouse »

I have mixed feelings about the Departed. I don't know what I was expecting, for one thing I wasn't too happy about the fact that Scorcese was doing another remake especially of a film that was good on its own. Then I looked at what he added to the Infernal Affairs story-Character.
The performances were great, even Leo.
The film was a good but I can't see how it is Scorcese at top form, besides a couple of fights and dialogue at the beginning- Courtesy of Mark Walberg and Alec Baldwin- there were very few thrilling things about this movie.
It didn't have the drive to be 2hs and 30 min, even the Aviator had a great sequence of Hughes before the Senate Committe that gave the movie more excitement.

Science of Sleep was nice, I like all the stop-motion animation and special effects. I loved the way Gondry captured the weirdness of dreams: how work is the main thing we dream about and how random everything is.
It was a cute film but I failed to get hooked on the love story-I understand the stephan's character is supposed to be childish but there wasn't any hope in the relationship create the intent of him overcoming it and getting together with Stephanie.
And you try so hard
to be like the big boys
@shellacandvinyl
Mechanical Grace

Post by Mechanical Grace »

BlueChair wrote:language, sir.... :roll:
Like that's the first fucking time that word's been used around here.

I saw the big SPOILER alert but had to read anyway. Cause I have willpower whatsoever. I'm looking forward to seeing it, though it's odd that such a Boston-oriented film would have been shot mostly in NYC! Well, if ever there was proof that being in Boston is expensive and a pain in the ass, that is it...
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

MG - Apparently although a lot of it was shot in NYC, most of the exterior shooting was done in Boston, though Nicholson apparently refused to wear a Rex Sox cap.

I tell ya, De Caprio is great in this, I found his performance riveting and totally believable, and Mark Whalberg was great too I thought, and Matt Damon, echoing his role in "the Talented Mr Ripley" plays a two face bastard cunt extremely well!
And, as I said before, if you gentlemen dont enjoy watching Vera Farmiga in this film you need to get a medical professional to check for a pulse.
echos myron like a siren
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Has anybody seen The Last Kiss? Mrs VG wants to go and see it. I'm a fan of Zach Braff anyway but would welcome people's views. Without spoilers or bad language! :lol:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
strangerinthehouse

Post by strangerinthehouse »

I saw it a while back with my wife and we both found it to be a bit dull. It was like watching an accident about to happen, then the crash, then people trying to forgive each other and pick up the pieces and that was it.
And you try so hard
to be like the big boys
@shellacandvinyl
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

The Last Kiss looked SO BAD to me. I don't really have anything else to offer on the subject. Average-in-every-way twentysomething white guy finds himself torn between two improbably gorgeous women. That's a recipe to annoy miss buenos aires, if she may refer to herself in the third person.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

miss buenos aires wrote:That's a recipe to annoy miss buenos aires, if she may refer to herself in the third person.
You may - just this once. But please don't do it again! :wink:
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Hoodwinked

Warning: Contains bad language and spoilers

Red is Innocent
Wolf is a Journo
Granny is an ski champ
The woodcutter is an actor
The Rabbit did it.

Great perfomance by the wolf, I will be disappointed if he doesn't get a nomination. The rabbit was great too, reminiscent of his role in Watership Down. And if you can't get excited by a little girl with a red hood then you need to see a doctor. The woodcutter was wooden.

Whoops, almost forgot to offend - fuck wank cunt shit motherfuckers
signed with love and vicious kisses
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

I saw Marie Antoinette the other night. It was a little...hermetically sealed. You can have your protagonist be utterly vapid and completely unaware of what's going on in the larger world, but then it's not a very compelling story if you tell it through her eyes. Just saying.
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

:lol:

very fucking funny sll, your such a funny cunt.
echos myron like a siren
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

miss buenos aires wrote:I saw Marie Antoinette the other night. It was a little...hermetically sealed. You can have your protagonist be utterly vapid and completely unaware of what's going on in the larger world, but then it's not a very compelling story if you tell it through her eyes. Just saying.
I agree with you completely. While it looked great, this was easily one the most boring films I've ever seen. It. Never. Takes. Off. I was almost sorry I didn't go see that Kutner/Kostner turkey instead. Avoid both.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Saw The Last King of Scotland over the weekend. Forrest Whittaker was damn good, as usual. Pretty gripping but there was something a little contrived about the way they chose to tell the story. Still would recommend it though.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

miss buenos aires wrote:I saw Marie Antoinette the other night. It was a little...hermetically sealed. You can have your protagonist be utterly vapid and completely unaware of what's going on in the larger world, but then it's not a very compelling story if you tell it through her eyes. Just saying.
oh, how I hate utterly vapid protagonists.
signed with love and vicious kisses
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

The History Boys
As you'd expect of Alan Bennet - marvellous. By turns funny, witty, poignant, sad. Gently compares two teaching styles (old school/new school, if you will), without being heavy handed in either direction (though you know where the author's sympathies lie).

Interesting audience reactions too. We laughed out loud on several ocasions (especially through the first 10 minutes or so), and at the end one of the boys got cheers and the whole film a round of applause (unusual in a British cinema).

Recomended.
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

Ah, the History Boys. Really fucking good, though nothing much to be gained if you've already seen it on the stage.
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

The Prestige:

Predictable twists and overly long, yet remains entertaining for the most part. The prevailing theme of obsessive competition is well communicated and felt, but the collateral personal issues only serve the ending a little, and extend the film about 20 minutes more than necessary.

Bowie was strong as Tesla. The other big names predictable and in formula, although Bale was more compelling than I would have guessed going in.

B movie. And one of the more feeble attempts to serve up a potential sequel is woven into the final scene, which detracts from the conclusion instead of adding mystery.

Michael Caine plays a fantastic Michael Caine. Fantastic.
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

ReadyToHearTheWorst wrote:The History Boys
As you'd expect of Alan Bennet - marvellous. By turns funny, witty, poignant, sad. Gently compares two teaching styles (old school/new school, if you will), without being heavy handed in either direction (though you know where the author's sympathies lie).

Interesting audience reactions too. We laughed out loud on several ocasions (especially through the first 10 minutes or so), and at the end one of the boys got cheers and the whole film a round of applause (unusual in a British cinema).

Recomended.
And a great soundtrack too if the trailer is any measure. As I recall, it featured a string quartet arrangement of This Charming Man, and then the real thing, plus NO and The Cure. 80s nostalgiafest!
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:And a great soundtrack too if the trailer is any measure. As I recall, it featured a string quartet arrangement of This Charming Man, and then the real thing...
Oooh ooh ooh ooh can you feel the force...

...or did you not mean the group?

I'm impressed from the reviews so I'll try and convince Mrs VG that we don't need to see another chick flick or any of the rubbish that was being trailered (definite trailer trash) when we last went to the cinema last week. Some of the forthcoming films look rubbish!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

Who knew that watching two hairy naked men, one being obese, fighting could be funny? Does this mean I am gay? (not that there's anything wrong with that)
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Saw Flushed Away with my daughter today. Sounded like a terrible premise for a movie, but it was surprisingly good. Best kids flick I've seen in a long time.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

Can't say the previews for that one did much for me. Happy Feet, on the other hand...

don't. push. me. cos. I'm. close. to. the. edge!
Like me, the "g" is silent.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

mood swung wrote:Can't say the previews for that one did much for me. Happy Feet, on the other hand...
Me neither, but it was really very very funny. I gave her the choice between Happy Feet and Flushed Away , and she chose the latter. I was very pleasantly surprised, because the trailers were nothing special. Since when is it OK to stick stuff in the trailer that does not actually appear in the film?