Elvis Costello's Record Collection

Pretty self-explanatory
The imposter

Re: Elvis Costello's Record Collection

Post by The imposter »

when i was cruel wrote:Contrary to many miss leading titles has Elvis ever sung What The World Needs Now ? I am starting to get bellicose.
I don't think so, at least not publicly, I included it because the band featured it as an intro for the shows in 1998.
edney

Post by edney »

By the by, I think you will find that the Washington Phillips track you have called, "Lift Him Up and that's all" on Volume 43 is actually called "Denomination Blues".
The imposter

Post by The imposter »

edney wrote:By the by, I think you will find that the Washington Phillips track you have called, "Lift Him Up and that's all" on Volume 43 is actually called "Denomination Blues".
I've just checked and "Denomination Blues" is a different song, which (to my knowledge) was not performed on The Speaking Clock Revue. I'm curious why you should think this and if you think it should be included?

However, after listening to the Washington Phillips original of "Lift Him Up, That's All" that I included on vol 43, I'm inclined to replace it with this Ralph Stanley version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoTvIB_31sg

Ralph Stanley DID of course perform this live on the tour and a version appears on the official compilation album.

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... on_Theatre
edney

Post by edney »

I have "Denomination Blues" and the chorus of that song includes the lines "But you'd gotta have Jesus, and I tell you that's all" I'm sure Phillips refers to "lifting up" in this song too. I put 2 & 2 together.....and got it wrong. A quick Wikipedia search reveals that Phillips only recorded 18 songs, 16 of which have been released. Included in those 16 are "Denomination Blues" Parts 1 & 2 AND "Lift Him Up That's All", so apologies for the confusion.
The imposter

Post by The imposter »

edney wrote:I have "Denomination Blues" and the chorus of that song includes the lines "But you'd gotta have Jesus, and I tell you that's all" I'm sure Phillips refers to "lifting up" in this song too. I put 2 & 2 together.....and got it wrong. A quick Wikipedia search reveals that Phillips only recorded 18 songs, 16 of which have been released. Included in those 16 are "Denomination Blues" Parts 1 & 2 AND "Lift Him Up That's All", so apologies for the confusion.
The songs are pretty similar, I'll give you that. I'm grateful for any suggestions, like for example is this just an adlib on the end of this New York 1977 version of "Alison" or some other unidentified song?

http://www.mediafire.com/?y6u7qgjm6jt722a
edney

Post by edney »

Ooh I do love a challenge....especially a musical one. But, the quality of this file does not give much away does it?? I don't know what it is, but I bet it's not an ad-lib. If you could jot down the lyrics we might have a fighting chance.
edney

Post by edney »

By the way, I'll mention it here but I haven't seen anybody else comment on this (they probably have). Are you aware of the tip of the hat to Television on "Brutal Youth"? I'm probably thinking that I've discovered some rare jewel of EC information that EVERYBODY already knows about. Serves me right for not posting on here often enough.
edney

Post by edney »

Likewise, Jesse Winchester wrote [i]Third Rate Romance[/i], but I believe the Amazing Rythym Aces might have beat them to the recording studio with it.

Here I am, responding to a post that's 3 years old! Winchester recorded it first. It was included on his 1974 album "Learn To Love It". This is apparently the original version of the song despite the fact that the songwriter was a member of The Amazing Rhythm Aces, who also recorded “Third Rate Romance” during the same year. Winchester's version features his drummer Butch McDade on lead vocals. McDade had heard the song through his friendship with songwriter Russell Smith and then introduced it Jesse. McDade eventually left Jesse’s line-up and after joining forces with a fellow Winchester band member, teamed up with Smith to form The Aces.
The imposter

Post by The imposter »

Re: 3rd rate romance.

Just listened to both versions back to back. I prefer the Amazing Rhythm Aces vocal and faster take on the song. However the electric piano's great on Jesse's version.

I've deliberated on this before and the Amazing Rhythm Aces version ended up on vol 3.

Just as well I have another series of alternate versions 8)

Compilations? Just make 'yer own!

What's the Television reference? I'm aware of a medley containing"See No Evil" from '89 " Anything else?
edney

Post by edney »

I'm glad you asked! It's a bit of musical trainspotting actually and, once again, as the memory continues to fade, it's not from "Brutal Youth" but "All This Useless Beauty". There is a guitar "motif" on the fade-out to, if my memory serves me well, "It's Time" that copies note for note a guitar lick from Television's "Marquee Moon". 11 notes to be precise....and very distinctive ones at that from a Television perspective.
The imposter

Post by The imposter »

I'm giving this thread a bump 'cos I've added a few more volumes and I've decided to share this with you good people here. EVERY DAY from 1st April I will be adding a new volume to my blog "Elvis Costello's Record Collection 2014 Edition". This could go on for weeks, if not months !!!

more details and introduction to the series here

http://elviscostellosrecordcollection20 ... ction.html
The imposter

Post by The imposter »

Starts here: VOLUME 1 Liverpool & Rotherithe

http://elviscostellosrecordcollection20 ... rithe.html
The imposter

Post by The imposter »

MOJO

Post by MOJO »

Nice to see Commander Cody in Vol. 2.
The imposter

Post by The imposter »

VOLUME 3 Knocking On Nick Lowe’s Door http://elviscostellosrecordcollection20 ... -door.html
The imposter

Post by The imposter »

The imposter

Post by The imposter »

The imposter

Post by The imposter »

The imposter

Post by The imposter »

The imposter

Post by The imposter »

The imposter

Post by The imposter »

VOLUME 9 The Coward Brothers 3rd Reunion Tour http://elviscostellosrecordcollection20 ... union.html
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

These are great. I want all of them. Thanks, The Imposter. Hope your permanent vacation is going well.
The imposter

Post by The imposter »

MOJO wrote:These are great. I want all of them. Thanks, The Imposter. Hope your permanent vacation is going well.
You're very welcome MOJO, glad I could oblige at last. Here's another one for you.

VOLUME 10 Americana http://elviscostellosrecordcollection20 ... icana.html
The imposter

Post by The imposter »

VOLUME 11 The Spectacular Spinning Songbook http://elviscostellosrecordcollection20 ... gbook.html
The imposter

Post by The imposter »