First four albums...

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Not to be a pedant, but didn't E put out a solo album before Beautiful Freak? For all intents and purposes he is Eels - the band has always been a bit of a revolving door. I would agree that those are four excellent albums.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Of course Ron's first four are all fabulous, how could we not include them?
Same reason as Bowie I guess.

I don't think he really hit his stride until the eponymous one. It's just not that he hadn't found his sound; most of the Grand Opera Lane just isn't up to scratch, although I think In This Love, Trains, Tell You and the original version of Speaking With The Angel are classic Ron.

And again, I don't think of Leonard Cohen as a rock'n'roll artist, but of course if we widen the challenge a bit, those first four are hard for anyone to beat.

I considered Eels too, but they aren't 'debuts' really, and I haven't been able to find the second e album Broken Toy Shop. Ignoring that one, though, they're contenders.[/quote]
What this world needs is more silly men.
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

Aren't those first two the same album? I was under the impression that it was called Raincoat in UK and Rod Stewart Album in US.

In any case, you can probably include 1972's Never A Dull Moment on there as well so it still works.
Quite right young man, thats cut and paste for ya, should have been Never A Dull Moment.

Otis, your probably right about Movement , but Ive always really liked it, though I guess its not quite up with the others.
echos myron like a siren
with endurance like the liberty bell
and he tells you of the dreamers
but he's cracked up like the road
and he'd like to lift us up, but we're a very heavy load