The Clarksdale Sessions

Pretty self-explanatory
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Thanks ANCT.

I wonder if the CD will have finished versions of Dark End of the Street and Tipitina.

Personally it would have been better if he had released some different songs to those also on the Futurama sessions.

How many versions of The Monkey, The Delivery Man and Needle Time do I need?
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
SweetPear

Post by SweetPear »

AAAHHHHH!!! I just got the 10in vinyl today....Delta Verite!!!

The cover is so cool, I love it! Now am I opening this and playing it or should I keep in the wrapper?
What do you guys do?
I'm not angry anymore....
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Play it.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

The ' special edition' of TDM is on sale in Dublin today. I have it and will give the Clarksdale Sessions a listen tomorrow ; it's 11.30PM here and I'm too tired now.

One query. The CDrom of Bedlam - from the live in Memphis DVD - lists the director . He's one Michael D. Dorofsky . As always with any new name attached to Elvis I like to check him out . Thing is , I can't find a thing. Maybe Elvis has gone and directed himself under another name. Does anyone else here know the video industry and want to look further?

I did find this site which has a handy listing of the production details of Elvis' past videos -

Elvis Costello & the Attractions

http://www.mvdbase.com/artist.php?last= ... irst=Elvis

and

Elvis Costello

http://www.mvdbase.com/artist.php?last= ... irst=Elvis
John

Post by John »

johnfoyle wrote:The ' special edition' of TDM is on sale in Dublin today. I have it and will give the Clarksdale Sessions a listen tomorrow ; it's 11.30PM here and I'm too tired now.
Is John Foyle the first person in the world to own The Clarksdale Sessions twice or can anyone beat that?
Looking forward to meeting up again in Liverpool, John. johnfoyle, John and Mrs John. Any non-John's coming?
DrJ

Post by DrJ »

Man I really miss that anout Dublin: New Albums come out on Friday, 3 days before the rest of the world :D

I really am resistant to buying TDM again. I'm five weeks into a new year's resolution/experiment not to buy any records, the experiment being that I buy what I want on download instead.

DrJ
Tlentifini Maarhaysu
Bad Ambassador

Post by Bad Ambassador »

DrJ wrote: the experiment being that I buy what I want on download instead.
But where's the fun in that? You spend loads of money on poor quality versions of songs which you could potentially lose if your computer dies. Any discs you burn maintain the quality of the source download and you don't get anything nice to put on the shelf. I'd ditch that resolution, if I were you.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Bad Ambassador wrote:
DrJ wrote: the experiment being that I buy what I want on download instead.
But where's the fun in that? You spend loads of money on poor quality versions of songs which you could potentially lose if your computer dies. Any discs you burn maintain the quality of the source download and you don't get anything nice to put on the shelf. I'd ditch that resolution, if I were you.
The quality is the same on iTunes, at least. But I agree with Bad Ambassador. Take it from someone who accidentally wiped his iPod when plugging it into a new computer. I lost a whole bunch of songs from my mp3 downloading days. Luckily retrieving what I owned on CD was easy.

Then again, I'm obsessed with the whole tradition of going to the shop, browsing the racks for the perfect purchase, getting home and listening to it for the first time, and then placing it alpha-chronologically on my shelf 8)
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Nick writes to listserv -

The tireless John Foyle wrote: -
One query. The CDrom of Bedlam - from the live in Memphis DVD - lists
the
director . He's one Michael D.
Dorofsky . As always with any new name attached to Elvis I like to
check
him out . Thing is , I can't find a thing. Maybe Elvis has gone and
directed
himself under another name. Does anyone else here know
the video industry and want to look further?
My guess is that this is a typo and the director is actually Michael B
Borofsky - a film producer and director who worked on Martin Scorcese's
"The
Blues" projects, and has directed and produced a film for Stevie Ray
Vaughan
amongst others. Google will tell you more.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Is John Foyle the first person in the world to own The Clarksdale Sessions twice or can anyone beat that?
Well, actually , I only own one copy at the moment - the vinyl hasn't arrived here yet.

It's an enjoyable collection. The between song 'backround' dialogue keeps reminding me of the few boots that have circulated of Costello soundchecks. The sheer versatility of the Imposters is astounding . Just like in Copenhagen last week - according to The Times - they are able to pick up on a tune at the briefest notice .

'Dark end...' fades very early , just like the vinyl. I wonder why? The vinyl edit could have been explained by the limitations of that format . Maybe a unfixable technical flaw curtailed things - or maybe Elvis forgot the words!

Trying to see this edition from the eyes of someone getting the album for the first time I reckon it will be an attractive package. A lot of casual CD buyers might have reckoned the relatively short original album was poor value for money ; the extra disc might be a deciding factor.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.sunherald.com/mld/sunherald/ ... 835406.htm

Former Squirrel Nut Zipper embarks on solo career, record label

KATHY HANRAHAN

Associated Press

CLARKSDALE, Miss. - Like the music he creates, James "Jimbo" Mathus is a cornucopia of different influences.

Musically, he fuses blues and roots sounds to create a twist on traditional Delta Blues.

Mathus and his wife, Katharine Whalen, were founders of the now defunct band Squirrel Nut Zippers. After scoring success with the platinum album, "Hot," in the late 1990s, the Zippers split up and Mathus embarked on a solo career.

Now the only zippers the Clarksdale native sees are the ones on his navy blue hooded sweat shirt.

Sitting in his recording studio in downtown Clarksdale, Mathus, 37, uses the sweat shirt and a vintage tan leather jacket to cover a thin white tank top. He is clad in a pair of tattered jeans, with his wild curly brown hair protruding from every crevice of a black baseball cap that is mounted backward on his head.

Though his large blue eyes appear bloodshot, Mathus is lively and ready to rock at the Delta Recording Studio.

"The history of Clarksdale is so rich with music, I just felt like it needed a good facility - a good place for me to kind of start over again," Mathus told the Associated Press.

The studio is located on Yazoo Street, the main street through the town of roughly 20,645 people. Nestled among local shops, the studio's covered windows and the absence of a sign make it appear vacant. That impression fades quickly with the sounds of toe-tapping blues from within.

Guy Malvezzi, Mathus' uncle, manager and partner in the recording studio, said there was a reason for locating the studio in the heart of town.

"We just thought downtown because it was so vibrant years ago," Malvezzi said. "We wanted to be right there in the heart of the city."

"I like with the studio downtown, people can come and just hang out down here and kind of get a good feel for the town," Mathus said. "I like bringing people in from out of town and showing them what Clarksdale is all about."

One of those people was Elvis Costello, who recorded his Grammy nominated single "Monkey to Man" at Mathus' studio.

"Elvis was really interested in coming down to Clarksdale and just recording," Mathus said. "He just wanted to go to a real Delta studio and cut in an old fashioned way."

Costello stayed locally in the Shack Up Inn, co-owned by Malvezzi. While in town, he shopped at local stores and enjoyed dinner downtown.

"I figure he spent about $3,000 in a 24 hour time span," Malvezzi said.

While the studio attracts national artists, Malvezzi said their goal is to also serve local musicians.

"Our hopes on down the road are to put some of these local musicians to work and start like a Clarksdale Rhythm Section," Malvezzi said.

Delta Recording is as basic as it gets. With no computer technology, artists use RCA Ribbon 44 microphones from the 1940s, vintage amps and an old school Everett studio acoustic piano.

"Basic down to the bone - it's ham and eggs," Mathus said.

The studio is decorated with framed Squirrel Nut Zipper gold and platinum albums, Mardi Gras colored lights, an American Flag and vintage banjos and guitars.

The atmosphere is relaxed, with a few lamps providing the lighting.

While launching his new record label, Knockdown South Records, and opening the recording studio with Malvezzi, Mathus somehow found time to record his latest album "Knockdown South" due out March 1.

"It's kinda like with the Zippers when I put different elements together. My blues are not like normal blues. They are kind of like amalgamation of different things," Mathus said.

Mathus says his new album is a continuation of what he has been doing for years with his band the Knockdown Society, which has recorded four albums.

"I'm really trying to get my solo career rolling and kind of get out from under the shadow of all the stuff I did in the past," Mathus said. "I take it all the way back to the roots and mix it up as something fresh."

Mathus will be touring in support of the album throughout the rest of the year, he has already played dates in Chicago, Nashville and Birmingham. Mathus said he will be "shaking the bushes and see what happens."

"I also enjoy going out trying to convert people in other parts of the world that maybe don't get to hear this kind of music too much," Mathus said.

ON THE NET

Jimbo Mathus Official Site: http://www.jamesmathus.com/

Knockdown South Records: http://www.knockdownsouthrecords.com/

Shack Up Inn: http://www.shackupinn.com
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

I bought it yesterday in Glasgow...have listened to it umpteen times last night and this morning...it is worth it for the alt. Needle Time and In Another Room/Tipitina (this is a great track!)
Slightly dissapointing is the fade out on Dark End...and the fact he sounds like he's singing into a baked beans tin on the version of The Scarlet Tide (what is going on there?).

On a weird sideways shove, I was at that Dr John concert a month ago, and he played both The Monkey AND Tipitina.....spooky or wot!
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

This website has 30 second audioclips from the seven Clarksdale songs:
http://www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/ASIN/B ... 86-0027228

They sound really good!
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

The seven Clarksdale tracks are available as an individual download or as a special edition album (with The Delivery Man) on iTunes in the UK. You can hear 30 second audioclips as well.

(Also available in Belgium as well).
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
DrJ

Post by DrJ »

Ahhh, Bad Ambassador beat me to this bit of news... obviously you're not totally immume to iTunes... :wink:
Bad Ambassador wrote: But where's the fun in that? You spend loads of money on poor quality versions of songs which you could potentially lose if your computer dies. Any discs you burn maintain the quality of the source download and you don't get anything nice to put on the shelf. I'd ditch that resolution, if I were you.

Yeah, I'm aware of the shortcomings, and it is just an experiment. I had grown tired of the common complaint of not listening to cd's I had, or at least, not listening to them repeatedly. Blame a couple of things: I've moved five times in five years, so the less stuff I accumulate, the better plus I realised when I came to London that my CD collection was hundreds of miles away, and I was still alive! The music was more important. Secondly I looked at how I usually experience my music these days and the reality is that although it is very nice to have the CD, I'm not actually using it more than once - I'll use an iPod or I'll stream from my library to a set of speakers. Thirdly, there will be releases where I'll want the actually CD to put in a row with the others so if EC or RonS or TMBG or any faves release a new record, then I'll buy the hard copy but, in opposition to this, take The Zutons, I bought their album at Christmas and as much as I liked it I realised that I didn't physically need it. I should have just got the tracks I want.

Then there's the economics of it - I just can't waste £14 on another copy of the Delivery Man, for £5 I can get The Clarkesdale Sessions on iTunes.

And the internet is just another way of contextualising the experience of browsing for music: somedays you want a bookshop, some days you're making a wishlist on Amazon. I have recently been tempted to buy a new turntable and go back to vinyl for a change. With the physical size of LP's, the need to get involved with dropping the needle and turning it over, I think that'd be the proper counterpoint to online track (s)hopping. Then again, that'd be more stuff in my life...

DrJ

(PS I'm liable to keep changing my mind about this)
Tlentifini Maarhaysu
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

The owner of the Clarksdale studio Elvis recorded in has posted this -

http://jamesmathus.com/pages/elvis.html

Hey folks, we just got a copy of the EC album, "The Clarksdale Sessions". if you are lucky enough to find a copy be sure and check out, "IN ANOTHER ROOM". this one song is worth the price of the album and it's one of those songs that just won't let go of you.
charliestumpy

Tipitina

Post by charliestumpy »

It was a real obsessive's pleasure a coupla weeks ago to pay out for 38 seconds of 'Tipitina'. Liked the 'Clarksdale' Sessions anyway, and as some of us have 2 or 3 or 4 versions of Mr Costello albums anyway (and I'm not a fanatic), who's counting.

Amongst other people I follow, particularly Mr Dylan's stuff not commercially available I can access, but despite looking on e.g. John E.'s excellent 'Home...' site etc, and advertising, I cannot source boot copies of Mr Costello shows. (e.g. 'Mystery Train' from recent Bristol-Manchester). I share on WinMX-Soulseek, and would appreciate any tips from people who can buy-trade Elvis Costello as to how I can buy-trade? Thanks.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Bump, bump !
verbal gymnastics

Why, why? :lol:
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Because I was quoting from it in the Toussaint album thread and the link from the search that found it was way too long - since you ask.
verbal gymnastics

Fair enough - since you answered :lol: