Holiday wishlist

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

selfmademug wrote: Pee-Wee's Playhouse DVDs #1&2
Too bad you're not my sister, or you'd be very happy come Xmas!
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Dang! Oh well. You're a cool sister, but then we knew that!!

What I really want for Christmas is utterly unobtainable :shock: ... but shy of that and world peace I'm happy to just to have such good friends and family.
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

Somebody here please tell me what a boy needs besides an Mp3 player and videogames.
I'm running out of ideas.
DrSpooky
Site Admin

Post by DrSpooky »

A shopvac. :D

Back to the unclogging a pipe trick. Put the vac in wet mode. Get a towel to use as a seal. Put the vacuum end down the drain, wrap the towel around the shaft -- naughty though cope ;) -- of the vacuum and turn it on. The towel around the shaft makes sure all the suction is focused on pulling things out of the drain.

For the kitchen sink where grease is often a factor, I run extremely hot water down the drain and repeat a couple of times.

If you have a double sink with a disposer, put a plunger over disposer side to block air from getting in and suck from the other side. Sometimes you have to pinch an air gap hose on the disposer -- getting a good seal is critical to getting it to suck from the drain side.

We have unfortunately, sucked amazing amounts of pasta out of the kitchen drain doing this. And don't think too much about it but we got an air freshener out of a toilet this way.

I read about someone getting a wedding ring out of a bathroom sink this way.

More handy tips from DrSpooky. Mrs S is pretty and handy. You would be amazed at some of her projects.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Oh, I forgot, I'd also like the Nirvana boxed set. Are you getting that for your sister, too, MBA?
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

Thanks for the tips, Doc, but that sounds awful complicated, esp. the two-drain-seal-with-towel busines, not to mention slightly dangerous. It's a 2-person job, sounds like.
It's a radiation vibe I'm groovin' on
DrSpooky
Site Admin

Post by DrSpooky »

Not really as bad as it sounds. You may or may not have to pinch the air gap hose and a pair of Vise-Grips can take care of that. The plunger over the disposal side just has to sit there so you don't have to touch it.

I just roll an old kitchen towel and make a "donut" out of it that I wrap around the sucking end of the hose. Hold the sucking end in place and turn the vacuum on.

Everything is easier with a helper but this can be done by one person. Here's one person's description of doing this http://www.shopvac.com/web/contest/clogged_sink.shtml and another where they got a kid's teaset lid out http://www.shopvac.com/web/contest/play_time.shtml.

There are more stories at http://www.shopvac.com/web/contest/winners.shtml.

They are indeed handy things. Mrs S sucked a lot of the broken glass out of our yard from the car hitting the tree. :)
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

So there's something of a Shop-Vac cult. I had no idea.
DrSpooky
Site Admin

Post by DrSpooky »

I suppose there is a ShopVac cult. They are handy beasts. Our basement flooded last year and the wet vac mode was indispensable.

Mrs S is also fond of her new leaf blower and the Makita power drill we inherited from my father.

Good tools are wonderful things. :)
Tim(e)

Post by Tim(e) »

I would like a Cone Of Silence
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

Oh, sorry. :oops:
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

ok, I gotta ask - what the hell is a Cone of Silence? I'd like to have a Silencing Ray that I could beam at idiots. and a cattle prod.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

A Cone of Silence is from the TV show Get Smart. It's a device that enables 2 people to conduct private conversations. Of course, it didn't work, because the people in the cone of silence had to yell to be heard.

But actually, that was an exhortation for me and Dr. Spooky to cut the Shop-Vac talk. 'Cause it's getting annoying, see?
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Moving right along. . . . .

I would like a day where I do absolutely nothing except pamper myself, although I probably wouldn't alow myself to actually go through with it. I would most likely just find a list of things that needed to be done and I would feel guilty about it.

:?
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

selfmademug wrote:Oh, I forgot, I'd also like the Nirvana boxed set. Are you getting that for your sister, too, MBA?
Unfortunately, I am not made of money. Sigh.