Ron Sexsmith

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Sampled a few bits. Looking good. Can't wait to watch it all. the legendary Paradiso! I have recordings of Joy Division and Franz Ferdinand there. Looks suitably small and intimate.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
scielle
Location: Berkeley, CA; London, UK; Montreal QC; Toronto ON; New York

Post by scielle »

FYI, a re-run of Ron on the Vicki Gabereau show airs in Canada on CTV, June 10th at 2:30pm.
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

This is from Ron's website :

http://www.ronsexsmith.com/home.html

June 9, 2005
Destination Unknown, the duet record from Sexsmith & Kerr is set to be released on June 13 in Sweden by v2 Music. Their website has a preview option for you to hear the songs now. They also have a Pre-Order Feature. Other European territories and the UK release dates will be announced soon from v2 Music.

Details on Canadian and US release dates will be posted here in the near future. All Ron fans around the world should be able to get the record that Ron calls "misfit songs sung by a couple of misfits" - but when you hear the songs (and the singers), you will know the fit is just right.

King Hoarse, you'll be getting the album first !!!
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

I certainly hope so. My copy is somewhere in the Swedish postal system, which of course can't be trusted (I work there).
What this world needs is more silly men.
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

Here's the link,
https://www.bengans.se/popup/SEXSMITH/p ... ll_int.asp ,
for ordering the album from v2 in Sweden. It's been out since June 13th, anyone got it yet?
Otis Westinghouse

King Horse has!

The price for Europe works out as c. £13.35. Not too bad. Could wait till it's released here, but imagine if I got run over by a bus tomorrow and one of my dying thoughts was 'I haven't heard the latest from Ron!' So I'd better get it quick.

Samples here: http://se.v2music.com/site/product.asp?ID=1256
Sounds like there'll be a new Ron LP proper out before too long. this from the message board: 'And yes...I'll definitely beplaying Dublin again, although I'm not sure if it will happen this year as I'm recording a new record.'
Otis Westinghouse

Then again, CD-WOW have it for £8.75, date is 27-6. Will have to avoid that bus for a week or so.
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

Yeah, I've had it for a few days and put it on at least once a day with coffee on my nice sunny balcony.

It's this year's summer record for me. (That and mainstay Astral Weeks.)

If you think Ron can get a little too soft at times, this is not for you. Pleasant Everlys/Louvins harmonies and a relaxed living room demo feel throughout.
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

King Hoarse wrote:
Pleasant Everlys/Louvins harmonies and a relaxed living room demo feel throughout.
That's exactly what I'm looking for. :D
Otis Westinghouse

Mine came, finally. Apparently there was a delay to the release date CD-|WOW had announced, but they got there in the end. Sounds very nice. No doubt many of the melodies will bry themselves in my head for eternity soon enough. So far a few have leapt out as really nice. definitely right to release it in the summer not winter! Nice celebration of their musical relationship. I like Ron's little essay on its genesis. Interesting that Ron's demoes ended up being the final songs that Don embellished, adding drums afternwards with no click track, etc. Their voices do sound wonderful together. It's nice to have a new Ron LP that is a different LP to a Ron Sexsmith LP. I don't now anything by the Louvin brothers. Should I change that?
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

My copy arrived during the week as well and I've given it a few spins so far. Not as immediate as Rons last album, still I feel it'll be a grower. There are loads of cheap Louvin compilations out there, I think there's one around the house somewhere, must check it out.
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

A few Ron updates.
All his albums can be purchased through his site,here,
and some excellent shows from the 90's are being torrented here and here at the moment.
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

Yeah, if you're ronfan dimers you can't afford to miss the Troubadour (W. Hollywood) gig from July 10th '97, which includes most of the eponymous and Other Songs albums as well as some exceptional covers: Everyday I Write The Book, Nowhere Man, You Still Believe In Me and the usual Heart With No Companion. The fact that excellent versions of Costello/Lennon/Wilson/Cohen don't sound out of place (or superior, for that matter) should convince anyone of Ron's singing and writing skills. Oh, and the band actually rocks too.
Otis Westinghouse

I'd better check it out. I'm finding dime all too long-winded and arduous, but that's probably cos I haven't quite got there yet. Once I do, it will be second nature. Maybe.
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

Here's a brilliant photo by an acquaintance

so, i did this portrait of Ron Sexsmith last night. and i was thinking "ron and i don't really have much of a musical intersection. this could be awkward." then he said "my favorite singer is bing crosby" and i said "i collect bing crosby 78 rpm's to play on my victrola. and he said "so do i!" things were fine after that.
Otis Westinghouse

Nice one. Taken where?
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

For those of you who live in Toronto AND like Ron Sexsmith (Blue ?) here's a chance to see him :

"For those of you in the Toronto area, we are offering a special chance for you to see Ron and his band live in an intimate setting. BEAUTIFUL NOISE is a music performance series produced in Toronto by Original Spin for Hi-Definition broadcast on RAVEHD in the US. Each episode is one hour and features a different artist, consisting mainly of a live performance with brief interview clips. The programs are modeled after classic music series like Sessions at West54th and Austin City Limits.

Programs are taped in front of an invited audience in downtown Toronto. Ron and band will be taping an episode on Sunday November 6. This taping is not open to the public but we were able to score a quantity of passes for the fans in the Toronto area. For details on how to get tickets, visit the Messageboard of this website and check out Special Toronto Area Offer."
alexv

Post by alexv »

Now that people are beginning to talk about best records, songs etc. of 2005, I must admit that my most listened to record of 2005 is Ron's Retriever, which I think was released in 04. How On Earth, Wishing Well, Tomorrow in her Eyes, and Happiness are joyful songs. An extraordinary record. I know this Board is full of Ron addicts, and there is no need to sing his praises yet again, but damn this is a beautiful record!!
Otis Westinghouse

Glad you got hooked! Yes, it's '04 and I think Ron is planning to record the next one soon. In many ways I think it's his best in terms of overall conssistency and listenability. My favourite song off it has to be Dandelion Wine, but there really isn't a weak thing on it. And now that I own a Labrador Retriever, I realte to it even more!
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Ron Sexsmith is finishing work on a new album! (his 9th in ten years?)

This is a message from Ron :

Happy Holidays Everybody
I've just returned from LA where tracking has finally been completed on my new record. It was nice working with Mitchell Froom again and I'm hoping the results will be agreeable to all those concerned. I'm feeling very excited about 2006 in general - I'm looking forward to hitting the road with the new record and playing for everyone again. The Massey Hall show will be a definite career high point for me... hope some of you can make it out to that one.
Well, until next time, have a Happy Holiday Season and take care of yourselves.
Love Ron
Otis Westinghouse

Wahoo! That's made my day. I wonder where Ron will play this time. Maybve he'll play The Junction in Cambridge, now that would be seriously fantastic. Good to know it's Mitchell Froom again. Budget looking better this time!
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

Indeed, good to see Ron back with Froom. Retriever was the closest Ron managed to get the consistent tone of his previous Froom albums, the albums in between, while containing good songs, being badly let down by pedestrian production. Also, since they were off the road at the time, dont be surprised to see that some Impostors play on the album. Both Pete Thomas and Davey Farragher are frequent members of Frooms session players. Pete actually contributes drum loops, probably the best thing about it, to The Corrs current covers album, another Froom production. Hey, it's a gig!
Otis Westinghouse

It's orthodoxy to diss the production on Cobblestone Runway, but for me it works very well, a great LP. And the same guy did something different with Retriever which probably works better by just being straighter. For me it's arguable that he gets better with each album in terms of consistency of quality. Retriever is good throughout, frequently outstanding.
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

http://www.ronsexsmith.com/home.html
As thanks for your support, Ron would like to give you a sneak peek of his new single "All In Good Time" from the upcoming album "Time Being".

http://www.ronsexsmith.com/media/AllInGoodTime.mp3

free. Be sure to share this song with your friends and spread the word!

"Time Being" was recorded in Santa Monica, California with producer Mitchell Froom. Ron continues with his roots-pop approach while his lyrics highlight both the bright and dark sides of life with honesty and heart. Ron has never sounded better as he delivers his most confident and accomplished album to date.