Recently viewed films

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
bobster

Post by bobster »

miss buenos aires wrote:bobster: I'm not into Ian McKellen, I just think he's a really neat guy and a great actor. So much so that I like to see him in blockbusters, because I think, "Ian McKellen is making millions off this movie, and I don't think it could happen to a nicer guy." (Unless it's a role that I think my grandpa should have gotten, but that doesn't happen very often.)
I meant no such thing. I just didn't want to get caught up your Jackman vs. Toby comparison lest I be thought, well, similar to Sir Ian...not that there's anything wrong with that.

However, I do believe you to be hiding a secret passion for Jack Black who is a musical/comedy genius, IMO. Don't be ashamed of your feelings, Ms. BA!
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0276830/

Blueberry (2004) , Directed by Jan Kounen

Movie of the year ( so far!). A psychedelic western might be the best way to describe. Totally bonkers another. All I know is that I was totally absorbed in every minute of it. Looks awesome , great pace , insane performance by Mike Madsen - his scenes with Eddie Izzard are just a hoot. In a slightly Costello related note , it was the way Straight To Hell should have been , if Alex Cox had got the budget. Another bizarre link - of sorts - Juliette Lewis sings Danny Boy , just like Cait O'Riordan in `Hell.

I see it doesn't have a U.S. release lined up yet - hopefully it will soon. Catch it on a big screen - even the biggest telly just could not do the visuals justice.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

I liked Spiderman 2...great effects, and Alf Molina was quite fun...not nearly as dull as the comic Doc Ock!
For an added bonus, in the cinema with me and my pals, were some early-teen girls all drunk, making stupid noises, and sipping Irn Bru bottles (which one can only guess was dosed with something pinched from daddy's cabinet) and then...one threw up in the cinema! These are the days of our lives!
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

I watched The Life Aquatic lastnight.

Eh. I didn't really dig it. The Wes Anderson style is just growing insanely stale for me.
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

Just saw The Aviator and I think that Scorsese has finally done it. The acting is top notch (Leonardo and Blanchette may even take the Oscar, I believe), the photography is excellent, and the story of a great man fighting with mental illness is superbly told.

It dawns on me how this film compares to A Beautiful Mind
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Good to hear it, ice nine.
I'm a huge Scorsese fan, but after Goodfellas all his films left me a bit disappointed. (admittedly, they were films a lot of other directors could kill for).
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

wehitandrun wrote:I watched The Life Aquatic lastnight.

Eh. I didn't really dig it. The Wes Anderson style is just growing insanely stale for me.
But Opie and Anthony remains fresh. God help us.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

Who Shot Sam? wrote:
But Opie and Anthony remains fresh. God help us.
You're completely right. Opie & Anthony are very fresh, maybe it's because they had a two year break- or maybe it's because they do great Radio every day.

I didn't like Life Aquatic all that much- I don't see why that calls a radio show into the discussion.

Update for you: O&A is as much of a "underground hit" as Wes Anderson's stale film is- so it's "cool" to like to both of them.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Does The Aviator touch on the Howard Hughes hoax biography furore at all?
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

I've been asked by others if the movie was really factual about events in his life. Sadly I do not know enough about the man to comment on any of his achievements.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

I heard The Aviator was incredible.
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Watched a Japanese horror movie "Dark Water" yesterday and it scared the shit out of me. Not a bloodshed/gore type of horror, but its creepy mood and story made all my hair stand up. Highly recommended but you'd better have someone around when you finish watching it. (I hadn't been so close to my wife for a few weeks :wink: :lol: )

Is there an American version made yet ?
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

I saw an excerpt from "Sideways" last night were Paul Giamatti was brilliant. Anyone seen it? Is it dicussed in another thread that I missed. I am in a hurry to see it. Sounds like a great film.

Took my wife, Mother-in Law, Daughter to "Meet the Fokkers" and it was absolutely horrible. Toilet humor. Pee pee/caa caa stuff. Unbelieveably poor, and too heavy on sexual innuendo for most young kids.

I hated it. Seemed like four hours of torture.

Fokk all of them and shame on them for making the film, and capitalizing on the enjoyable "Meet the Parents".
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Sideways is highly, highly, highly recommended!
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

Mr. A, I read a review of it that said something like, "Using this cast with this script is like pitting the 1927 Yankees against the Special Olympics baseball team." Kind of killed any desire I had to see it...
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

I'm generally a 'Sideways' and 'Aviator' kind of fellow, but I have to admit that I enjoyed Meet the Fokkers. I went into it with no expectations whatsoever, which may have helped. I agree that much of it would have been inappropriate for children though. I liked Dustin Hoffman's performance, and Barbra's as well. Good (not so) clean fun.
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

Sideways is great but the best film Ive seen lately has got to be "I Heart Huckabees" - existential detectives , Dustin Hoffman in a grey Beatle wig, the fantastic Lily Tomlin, and great music by John Brion. Even Marky Mark (minus his Funky Bunch) is great in it. A wonderful original film.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Always so nice to see you here, Mr. Boom!!

I seem to have missed Huckabees. I meant to see it! I want to see Life Aquatic, too, despite mixed reviews. A. O. Scott (I think it was him) wrote in the NYT that Life Aquatic should be on a permanent double bill with the SpongeBob movie... :)
Tim(e)

Post by Tim(e) »

Well, I managed to get out last Monday and take my 5 year old along to see "The Incredibles". I must say that it lived up to its title and was probably the best Pixar animation to date. Excellent storyline, great characterisations, superb animation, well paced and pretty much faultless... but then again, it was made by the same gentleman that gave us the wonderful "Iron Giant". I do however tend to think that perhaps I enjoyed it a lot more than my son ;)

I was also impressed by the lovely nonsensical short film that preceeded it called "Boundin" which was also made by the folks at Pixar. Very cute indeed.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

"Boundin" was great. I thought for sure it was Loudon Wainwright III singing, but it turned out to be a bloke named Bud Luckey
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

I've just been to see Spongebob Squarepants - one of the funniest films I've seen in ages. Like Shrek its a kids movie that also works , in an ironic
sense , for adults. Annoyingly Dublin cinemas are only showing it in the afternoon and early evening. The infants all around me enjoyed it but had popcorn fights during some of the more subtle bits. I nearly wet myself during a sequence involving moustaches - it was gayer than all of Alexander , which is quite a feat.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Half term this coming week and have six year old on my own, so as well as spongepants squarebob I will prob get to see Racing Stripes and Magic Roundabout. Will have no choice but to endure the hordes of brats.
signed with love and vicious kisses
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

I'm not excited for the movie, but the series is hellaciously wonderful.

marry me spongebob!
Like me, the "g" is silent.
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Advice needed :
Should I go and see Meet The Fockers ?
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

No, it's awful. The sight of DeNiro strapping on fake brests is truly one of the saddest things I've ever seen, he has hit rock bottom, and then some. Dreadful, dreadful stuff. Watch Once Upon a Time in America again instead.