Random Thoughts

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

RedShoes wrote:Accidentally pouring vinegar onto your instant oatmeal is really not the best way to start the day.
I think that's fair comment :lol:

How are the wedding plans coming along? I take it you won't be serving up Oatmeal A La Red as an entree.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
RedShoes

Post by RedShoes »

verbal gymnastics wrote:
RedShoes wrote:Accidentally pouring vinegar onto your instant oatmeal is really not the best way to start the day.
I think that's fair comment :lol:

How are the wedding plans coming along? I take it you won't be serving up Oatmeal A La Red as an entree.
Yeah - that's what happens when you assume that what is in the office kettle is water. Apparently someone decided to clean it out with vinegar and not tell any of us. Blech.

Wedding plans are coming along well. All of the big stuff is done. At this point, I'm just ready to be married. And on our honeymoon! :D
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

I've just had my 15th anniversary (though, disgracefully, I didn't actually see my wife on it, I was in Aberdeen!). Wish I could relive the honeymoon.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Is it me, or did Phil Spector pay Marty Short to stand in for him at the murder trial? Methinks Phil will be taking a little trip to smaller, and less private living quarters. And once the witnesses explain how he treated them like bitches, I don't doubt for a minute that a cellmate will be referring to Phil in "like" terms.
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
verbal gymnastics

Otis Westinghouse wrote:I've just had my 15th anniversary (though, disgracefully, I didn't actually see my wife on it, I was in Aberdeen!). Wish I could relive the honeymoon.
Congratulations Otis. And more so to Mrs W - anyone who could put up married to you for 15 years deserves a special present! :lol: Believe me, Mrs VG has only put up with me for four married years in June and nine in total. What did she do to deserve that?

Shame you were away though. I was away for our anniversary last year. You should not be away from your loved one(s) on a wedding anniversary.

And Red - I'm pleased to hear things are going well. Not long now (as I'm sure many people are telling you!).
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

We'll have to arrange a London meet-up before too long. We'll be in town around August 11-12.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Speaking of UK visits I'm going to be in Manchester next week - Thursday-Tuesday - for a conference. I don't imagine any of you fine UK people would happen to be in the area at that time?

I'm hoping to catch a match on the weekend but have given up on the Manchester derby, as the tickets are way out of my range. Might try hopping on a train to Wigan to see if they can beat Boro.
Otis Westinghouse

verbal gymnastics wrote:Congratulations Otis. And more so to Mrs W - anyone who could put up married to you for 15 years deserves a special present! Shame you were away though. I was away for our anniversary last year. You should not be away from your loved one(s) on a wedding anniversary.
I tried to avoid it, but it was conference time and I had to be in Aberdeen. My incredibly funny gag was to come home a month ago or so and announce I'd booked a really nice restaurant for the day, only thing was it was in Aberdeen! You're right, she deserved a special present, and I did OK. (15 years is crystal, so some nice lead crystal was in order.) And it was appropriate to go to the Waterboys together this evening as Fisherman Blues was a mainstay on the car cassette in Spain 17 years back as we'd drive away on romantic escapades.
verbal gymnastics

Who Shot Sam? wrote:Speaking of UK visits I'm going to be in Manchester next week - Thursday-Tuesday - for a conference. I don't imagine any of you fine UK people would happen to be in the area at that time?
Gutted - can you believe it? I am in Stockport (which is close to Manchester) on Sunday night (29th). Damn.
BlueChair wrote:We'll have to arrange a London meet-up before too long. We'll be in town around August 11-12.
Absolutely. That weekend has been kept clear in the appointments book (or Verbal's Diarya as some might call it. Well, me, anyway).
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

verbal gymnastics wrote:Gutted - can you believe it? I am in Stockport (which is close to Manchester) on Sunday night (29th). Damn.
Ah well - I didn't expect anything. Hopefully next time it'll be London instead. Any suggestions from those who know about things to do in Manchester?
RedShoes

Post by RedShoes »

Come on, WSS - can't you just arrange to be in London August 11-12? ;)

We're definitely looking forward to meeting up with you folks. Should be fun!

Blue & I ordered wedding rings yesterday. Makes it all seem a little more real!
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

That's weird.... I ordered a wedding ring for Blue yesterday too.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

And I ordered one for you, pophead. Wow, what a coinkydink. :lol:
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

I am the only person I know who can spend a week in Mexico and come back as pale as the day is long. I get a little OCD with the SPF.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Who Shot Sam? wrote:
verbal gymnastics wrote:Gutted - can you believe it? I am in Stockport (which is close to Manchester) on Sunday night (29th). Damn.
Ah well - I didn't expect anything. Hopefully next time it'll be London instead. Any suggestions from those who know about things to do in Manchester?
Stay in.
signed with love and vicious kisses
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

hehe :lol: :lol:
Otis Westinghouse

Who Shot Sam? wrote:Any suggestions from those who know about things to do in Manchester?
Given your dumbfounding passing up of the Theatre of Dreams, I am lost for words. How about a pilgrimage to Macclesfield to pay your dues at the tiny graveside of Ian Curtis?
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:
Who Shot Sam? wrote:Any suggestions from those who know about things to do in Manchester?
Given your dumbfounding passing up of the Theatre of Dreams, I am lost for words. How about a pilgrimage to Macclesfield to pay your dues at the tiny graveside of Ian Curtis?
I may try to get out to Old Trafford to have a look. I assume they have some sort of tour? I just cannot afford to pay what it would take to get me to the Manchester derby, so it's out of the question, sadly. Moreover, it's being played at the City of Manchester Stadium.

Where is Macclesfield in relation to Manchester?
Otis Westinghouse

Oh yeah, it's at their poo-hole. I'm sure there's an official tour thing - I haven't had the pleasure! Macclesfield is south of Manc, 10 miles or so? Haven't been myself, I've always planned to. The tombstone is just one small stone, a kerb rather than a headstone:

ReadyToHearTheWorst

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

A rare celebrity spot by this correspondent occurred in the fair town of Wilmslow ('twixt Macclesfiled and Manchester). Was heading for a lunchtime bun when who should I spy ambling along in a v. cool trench coat and clutching a Sainsbury's carrier bag? Bernard Sumner.
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"
Otis Westinghouse

Nice one. What year? Is 10 miles an under-estimate for the distance to Macc? 15 maybe? I went for 10 as everything is so incredibly close together in that part of the world.
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Where did Cadillac get the vision to use such great songs in the marketing of their vehicles...

"Rock and Roll"- Led Zepellin
"Start" - The Jam

There is an entire market asking "Who is that?" when the Cadillac commercials air with The Jam clasic in support.

I know there are other tunes, but they escape me. I just saw another Cadillac add with a sort of ambient pop instrumental backing it, yet I don't know the artist. But heck, the ads work, and people who never heard "START" (maybe it's because they have heard "Taxman") are paying attention to the advertisements and asking about the music.
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

But I don't know anyone under 55 that owns a late model cadillac.

Do these ads translate to sales?
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
Otis Westinghouse

Not if the line 'But knowing that someone in this life/Feels as desperate as me' is played as we watch the driver powering off...
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Boy With A Problem wrote:But I don't know anyone under 55 that owns a late model cadillac.

Do these ads translate to sales?
That's the point. I give them credit for trying to reinvent around a younger crowd. The irony is the "younger crowd" that might immediately appreciate these tunes are now longer officially categorized as "the yonger crowd".

I see more young people driving scaled down Caddy's, yes.