New Gig Thread

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

King Hoarse wrote:I'm also glad I finally got to see the Toy Dolls on their last tour. I bought their debut when I was twelve, now I'm thirty.
A very underrated band. Did they do I've Got Asthma or She's a Worky Ticket ?
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Looking forward to seeing you in concert when you come over KH.

Last Sunday I went to see a jazz, funk and soul singer by the name of Ola. His website is http://www.ola-onabule.co.uk/

We saw him at the 606 Club in Chelsea. Very jazzy. This guy has a fantastic voice and has some great credits behind him - he used to be a backing singer for George Michael.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

In addition to Doves on Sept 12th (sooo psyched!!), I'm going to see the Glasgow band Sons and Daughters on Saturday, and The Go! Team, who I've read are an utter scream live, in November.
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

to ReadyToHearTheWorst: I had too much fun to remember the Toy Dolls setlist in order, but they did play I've Got Asthma, and the young Belgian girl standing in front of me died laughing when I as the only member of the crowd gasped along ("HHHHhhh") in the first break.

They opened with a cover of the Final Countdown played on kazoo...and then went into the Theme Tune, Dig That Groove Baby & Dougy Giro, and then in the wrong order Firey Jack, Bless You My Son/My Girlfriend's Dad's A Vicar, Wipe-Out (which was something of an anticlimax because drummer Dave the Nut didn't hit his toy kit hard enough), Idle Gossip, Lambrusco Kid, Fisticuffs In Frederick Street (aka Foster's Club), Yul Brynner Is A Skinhead, the Ashbrooke Laundrette, When The Saints..., Alec's Gone and Bach's Toccata In Dm! And a crap new song I hadn't heard before. And of course Nellie.
What this world needs is more silly men.
verbal gymnastics

I managed to get two tickets for Coldplay at Earl's Court in December. Best I take my binoculars.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Just booked to see The Pogues at Christmas again.
signed with love and vicious kisses
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Just seen The Magic Numbers here in Dublin. Pleasant , sing-a-long pop by a cheery bunch.................but why did I keep thinking of Brotherhood Of Man ?

The Magic Numbers

verbal gymnastics

Brotherhood of Man - The Beard Years?
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

how do those girls get their hair to do that?

saw Jack Johnson friday night - I'm calling it a Perfect End to Summer.

I had no idea there were so many neo-hippies. I should get out more.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

Saw iForward, Russia! on Friday, a sweaty Stands on Saturday, and Ladytron in my local park on Sunday. Strange weekend all round.

Seeing Rufus Wainwright early December.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Well, I blew off seeing Sons And Daughters on Saturday night, cause they were slated to go on at midnight and I am just too wimpy for stuff that STARTS that late. But I'm making up for it by going to see Idlewild tonight.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

My bastard of a brother went to see Journey in DC last night (I don't know what bet he lost) and has been bombarding my in box with Journey songs all morning - "Separate Ways", "Open Arms". Damn, it's awful crap but I can't get it out of my head. My favorite bad band of all time.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

So, on Tuesday I saw Idlewild, with opening act Inara George and her band. I was really impressed on both counts. Anyone else know these acts?

I'd read a review of Idlewild that said they were "what lots of people hoped REM would become after RECKONING" and I think that's apt. I could definitely imagine them seguing right into a particularly hard version of Pretty Persuasion. I don't have their record yet but I will before long.

I hope they hit it big. A lot of talent and personality there. I talked to the drummer for a while before they went on and he was a scream. (That's the sort of place The Paradise is, btw, which is why I love it.)

Inara George really surprised me. Her voice is a lot like what's-her-name from the Cranberries, and I'd read comparisons to Beth Orton and Suzanne Vega. I could see where people might say that, and seeing another fair, waifishly pretty singer-songwriter it's hard not to think in those terms. But who she really made me think of, because of her phrasing and the sort of indirect melodies, was solo Morrissey. I told her so on a break and she said, "Yeah that's what my sound engineer said, he heard a few songs and started singing I am human and I need to be loved..." but I got the sense that was about the extent of her Smiths/Moz familiarity, which was odd. She was super nice. Apparently her late dad was in and/or wrote for Little Feat (who my son and my ex saw over the weekend, the band that is, not the dead father), so it's in her blood.

I did buy her record at the show, and am just getting to know it. Great stuff.

Anyway, a great evening. Now if only I had someone to go to these shows with so I didn't feel like an old lady freak.... :? 8)
Last edited by selfmademug on Thu Sep 08, 2005 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

PS, this was the beginning of the US tour, so anyone in these areas can catch this show:

Thurs 9/8/05 Brooklyn, NY @ Pete's Candy Store
Fri 9/9/05 Philadelphia, PA @ Theatre Of Living Arts
Sat 9/10/05 Baltimore, MD @ 8 x 10
Sun 9/11/05 Washington, DC @ Black Cat
Tues 9/14/05 Atlanta, GA @ Smith's Olde Bar
Thu 9/15/05 Birmingham, AL @ The High Note Lounge
Fri 9/16/05 Houston, TX @ Fat Cat's
Sat 9/17/05 Austin, TX @ The Parish
Mon 9/19/05 Dallas, TX @ Trees
Wed 9/21/05 St. Louis, MO @ Blueberry Hill
Thurs 9/22/05 Chicago, IL @ Metro
Fri 9/23/05 Minneapolis, MN @ First Ave.
Sat 9/24/05 Lawrence, KS @ Bottleneck
Mon 9/26/05 Boulder, CO @ Boulder Theater
Tue 9/27/05 Denver, CO @ Hi-Dive
Wed 9/28/05 Salt Lake City, UT @ Shaggy's Velvet Room
Fri 9/30/05 Seattle, WA @ Neumo's
Sat 10/1/05 Portland, OR @ Dante's
Sun 10/2/05 Eugene, OR @ John Henry's Hammer
Tues 10/4/05 Santa Cruz, CA @ The Attic
Wed 10/5/05 San Francisco, CA @ Slim's
Fri 10/7/05 Los Angeles, CA @ El Rey Theater
Sat 10/8/05 San Diego, CA @ Casbah
Tue 10/11/05 Scottsdale, AZ @ Martini Ranch
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

selfmademug wrote:Apparently her late dad was in and/or wrote for Little Feat (who my son and my ex saw over the weekend, the band that is, not the dead father), so it's in her blood.
Lowell George, who was the heart and sould of Little Feat.
http://www.huether-net.de/tributes/lowell/elowell.html
Didn't know his daughter was on the scene. Interesting.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Lowell George, who was the heart and sould of Little Feat.
Well, there ya go. I like what Little Feat I know, maybe he is why. In any case, she's talented and smart-- you can listen to most of her record here:

http://www.inarageorge.com/flash4/

Use the player at bottom left and 'fast forward' to the 2nd track, MISTRESS.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

just bought tickets to Kings of Leon.

was this a mistake?
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

I'd say not. I'm not sold on them, but they're good enough to listewn to, and I think have a pretty good live reputation. You'll have a big night, for sure!
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

mood swung wrote:just bought tickets to Kings of Leon.

was this a mistake?
Do you like them?
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

I like what I've heard. got great seats, but this feels like a standup type thing.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

mood swung wrote:I like what I've heard. got great seats, but this feels like a standup type thing.

Do you not have any legs? Is it a local gig for KoL? I know thwy comw from that region somewhere.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

yes, I've got legs. standing will mean I can't wear my sweet little black boots however! it's all about the footwear. not a local gig for them.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

mood swung wrote:yes, I've got legs.
She's got legs. She knows how to use them. :wink:
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
verbal gymnastics

mood swung wrote:just bought tickets to Kings of Leon.

was this a mistake?
Not in my book. They're a band I haven't gotten around to seeing yet although I love both albums.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

So. Saw Doves at Avalon last night. They played all the tunes you've heard on the radio and some besides-- they played nearly all of SOME CITIES, which is just an unmissable record, IMO. I very much wanted to hear Walk In Fire, which is a current fave, but no dice, though I can't complain, as it was a fantastic show. These guys are seriously accomplished at what they do, and the sound mix and the whole vibe really reflected that. As Otis knows and loves, this is a band that often lets the drums be the most up-front sound, and live, this meant that not only did you get that fabulous pounding (no coincidence) IN your chest, you could also feel it, if you were just a few rows back as I was, actually pressing your clothes onto your body. I suppose it's not so great for the hearing, but what an experience. The drums were never too much, though, and the whole club seemed to seep atmosphere out its fire exits and vents.

I got a sweet t-shirt and an even nicer free poster, which helped make up for the fact that I went alone, of which feeling I am tiring VERY fast, to put it bravely.