Wake up you footy fans!!!

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Go on Charlton! Luke Young and Darren Bent both scored against Liverpool - a pyrrhic victory for my fantasy footy team, rooted at the bottom of the table.

And Chelsea are cruising in the FA Cup.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Just the 1 game in hand for the scousers now. The 3rd and 4th champs league spots are opening up...and Arse and Liverpool have to play each other in a couple of weeks. And they are playing Bolton and Wigan respectively at the weekend. I'm getting unsure who to cheer for in these matches! :?
corruptio optimi pessima
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Arsenal are being so kind to us. Even when they get a last minute equalizer, it's good news for Spurs. A point a piece with Bolton was always the best outcome for us. Shame Wigan couldn't do sonmething similar, but a Wigan defeat has its merits.

A win today would make it a 6 point gap to 5th spot. Mind you, traditionally we have a tendency towards kindness to struggling sides, so Sunderland must be rubbing their hands today in anticipation of our visit. Let's hope we're made of sterner stuff this year.
corruptio optimi pessima
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Ugh. Went to Nevada Smith's yesterday to watch a few matches with Pompey Tom. I certainly wasn't expecting to lose by three goals to Boro, but surprises happen. Good thing we have a nice healthy lead at the top of the table. Met a bunch of the guys from the NY supporters' club. Terrific chants and a great atmosphere despite the defeat - "We only sing when we're losing", "Celery", "Ten Men Went to Mow...". We also met a few Pompey fans who seem resigned to their inevitable relegation.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Sunderland deserved that...v.disappointing. We'll never make the 4th place til we learn to kill off teams. This is becoming a habit. Fulham, West Ham. Leicester to name 3 have scored late on against us.
Last edited by Jackson Monk on Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
corruptio optimi pessima
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

SLL and Fishfinger King havn't made this thread for a while. Hmmm....I wonder why that would be?
corruptio optimi pessima
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Me and Mrs VG went to Valencia last weekend with another couple. Me and my mate got tickets for the Valencia v Barcelona game which Valencia won 1-0. Fantastic atmosphere and 2 Euros a beer IN THE STADIUM!

Was gutted that Ronaldhino and Deco didn't play but it was great to be there.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Jackson Monk wrote:SLL and Fishfinger King havn't made this thread for a while. Hmmm....I wonder why that would be?
1. Is this where we discuss the chances of the Kent Spitfires for the coming season?

2. Our much maligned goalkeeper had a storming match last night, shame he couldn't quite hold out.

3. Champions League next week, have the lilleyshites ever been in it? (rhetorical question, please don't answer)

4. Count your chickens at the end of the season.
signed with love and vicious kisses
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

so lacklustre wrote:
Jackson Monk wrote:SLL and Fishfinger King havn't made this thread for a while. Hmmm....I wonder why that would be?
1. Is this where we discuss the chances of the Kent Spitfires for the coming season?

2. Our much maligned goalkeeper had a storming match last night, shame he couldn't quite hold out.

3. Champions League next week, have the lilleyshites ever been in it? (rhetorical question, please don't answer)

4. Count your chickens at the end of the season.

Ahhhh....we've managed to lure one of them out of hiding.....
:lol:

I remain blissfully unaware as to how many chickens I have. I wasn't referring to the Spurs season (we've over-achieved so far and I'll still be happy with a UEFA Cup spot). I was referring to your recent run of....what was that word you like to use about the TH midfield.....ummmm...that's right...mediocrity! Having said that....I'd bet you'd welcome something a little mediocre after 9 league defeats.... :wink:

I'd venture to suggest that it always a sign of a club on the ropes, when their fans start to attack other teams in an effort to disguise their own team's inadequacies.
corruptio optimi pessima
Fishfinger king

Post by Fishfinger king »

Guilty as charged.
Though Jens Lehmann is about the best goalie in the Premiership at the moment - soon the defenders in front of him will be in nappies.
Can't recall the Tottenham fans resisting celebrating any of our minor failures during their dark days (1995-2005 in case you need reminding).
Can't you see I'm trying to change this water to wine
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Shite game. Salt rubbed vigorously into wound by watching it with my Liverpool loving bro-in-law. Poor Alan Smith, very nasty breakage. Why on earth SAF doesn't play him rather than feeble Fletcher, I don't know. (We hit on the theory today that Fletch is Ferg's love child,only possible explanation?) Well, we weren't up to it, and the sodding Carling is our only hope.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

I think Fletcher is more likely to be fergies rent boy.
Otis Westinghouse

Well that might explain it too!
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

:( Another disapppointing result, although Wigan are no mugs and impress me more each time I see them. Utd are no certainties for the Carling Cup, that's for sure. The great thing about Wigan is that few of their players would look out of place (physically/facially) in a Sunday League side. Bullard, Bains and Kavanagh in particular have the look of three scallies off to the pub for a pint after a match in the local park.
They play some good football and their second goal was excellent.

Five pts clear of Arsenal now, but 2 pts from matches against Wigan and Sunderland is not good enough. We look very shaky and nervous at the back sometimes and I wonder how we'd cope in the Champs league anyway. Still work in progress as far as I can see.
corruptio optimi pessima
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Missed the Colchester FA Cup match today, as we were up in Connecticut helping my brother and sister-in-law move into their new house, but it sounds like it was another subpar performance after that disaster at Boro last Saturday. A lot of players out, to be sure, but Carvalho (Lord Percy) is a complete liability and we seem a bit lost at the moment. I don't expect us to do much against Barca.
Otis Westinghouse

It would be more fun if you were being cocky about their chances on Wed! You're being wise, though. great comedy own goal. For a moment you really thought Colchester might get a second and it would be a serious struggle for Chelsea. I was dying for Villa to hold onto their lead last night (not out of any hatred of City, more to avoid the inevitable barracking from the resident Cityfanatic at work over Utd's loss were City also to lose - from this point of view, at least, it's a relief to be off work today with a heavy cold), and that late goal felt jammy, but City did deserve it, and you had to feel for 17 year-old Richards, he was so totally overwhelmed in the interview afterwards.

Still feeling very sad for poor Smithy, reading the accounts of it and seeing a photo of his collapsed leg/ankle really brings it home. Observer were odd in referring to the taunts of the Pool fans when he was lying down, but ignoring the far more significant applause they gave him when he was stretchered off. A rare moment of sporting decency from opposing fans. It was so unfair that he was only given 10 mins of the game when he should clearly have been there from the start, and then that was his reward.

Jackson: steady on with Baines and Kavangh, two of my Fantasy regulars! Agree this Sunday will be no pushover. Looking forward to it, and hope we have more spunk than on Saturday. Hope Rio's back, he was sorely missed against Pool, and pray that he plays Park not Fletch.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Still feeling very sad for poor Smithy, reading the accounts of it and seeing a photo of his collapsed leg/ankle really brings it home. Observer were odd in referring to the taunts of the Pool fans when he was lying down, but ignoring the far more significant applause they gave him when he was stretchered off. A rare moment of sporting decency from opposing fans.
Did the lovable Scousers really sing, "John Arne Riise... I wanna know oh oh oh oh oh... how you broke his leg"?
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

If they did you couldn't hear it on the TV. Most people realised how bad it was - the Liverpool physio rushed onto the pitch the the United physio. From what I saw everyone was sportingly decent as Otis said.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

I was the who wasn't sporting then. Never liked Smith, dirty little shit, it was good to see him in so much pain.
Otis Westinghouse

Proof that if Liverpool fans are generally scum, Arsenal ones are total cunts.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Proof that if Liverpool fans are generally scum, Arsenal ones are total cunts.
With all due respect, I have been saying this for some time..... :lol:

And at least SLL has the mosty appropriate signature.....by some distance... :)
corruptio optimi pessima
Otis Westinghouse

Indeed, although it's prompted me to amend mine (from Talking Heads' Air) in honour of poor Smith.

Well the two of us should have a laugh seeing how Arsenal fare tomorrow night.
Mansize_Rooster_87

Post by Mansize_Rooster_87 »

buisness end of the Champions League..

chelsea v barca is gonna be a cracker
and so is real + gunners

man i hope chelsea get done, i just dont like the way they play. They can play attacking but when there in front you can forget about veiwing a decent match..

i also hope rangers get thro to,good to see a scotish team still there :)
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Mansize_Rooster_87 wrote:man i hope chelsea get done, i just dont like the way they play. They can play attacking but when there in front you can forget about veiwing a decent match.
Yeah, I wish they would be more sporting about it and give players like Henry and Ronaldinho a real chance to tear them apart. ;-)

As a Blues supporter I'll grant that Chelsea aren't usually the most exhilarating team to watch, but they're pretty ruthless in their efficiency. After years of plenty of flash and precious little success I think most Chelsea fans are happy to accept the current brand of football. Their have been some sublime moments under Mourinho, though perhaps more last season than this.

Who do you support Rooster?
Mansize_Rooster_87

Post by Mansize_Rooster_87 »

Leeds United,the total opposite..scraping outa debt,but doing alright in the 1st div this time.sitting 3rd :)

But all that matters is that australia qualified for the world cup!!!
woo hoo :D