Music Quiz Trivia

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

otis wrote:
Don't Americans do trivia quizzes?
not this one. way too stupid, but this is fun reading.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

The Beatles? Apple Studios?
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

Muscle Shoals
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

martinfoyle wrote:Is it Electric Ladyland?
As with Moody I plead utter ignorance to this stuff, which requires close reading of record liners, something I haven't had time to do for about 20 years...

But I had to say that I have been in Electric Ladyland, twice, both times at about 4 in the morning. A college pal's brother worked there and we made middle-of-the-night pilgrimages down from my rural college campus a few hours away (followed by blintzes at the Kiev). The first time we visited, ACDC were there, the second, Hall & Oats. Not surprisingly, it's all purple in there. But the cool thing was getting to listen to a master of the Stones' then-new EMOTIONAL RESCUE (okay, not their best, but one I like, as it happens) in one of the empty studios. Wowzer.

We now return you to your regular guessing program. What happened to the trivia questions I could answer, like what's the diff between an alligator and a crocodile??? Sigh..
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Better post the question again on this page: Who was or were the first rock artist(s) to own and run their own major recording studio?

No-one's got the answer yet.
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

Boston!
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

No.
martinfoyle wrote:Presley or Costello?
Costello
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Clue: The artist(s) in question didn't use it for very long...

EC recorded some vocals for a Jazz Passengers thing at the studio founded by them.
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

Neville Brothers studio in New Orleans?
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

I can't believe it's not obvious to folks. You're getting colder. A lot colder. I'm after an artist.

He recorded there for a while time before the studio (in New York) actually opened. Bought the former nightclub and converted it to a studio because he was spending way too much money at other studios.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

I promise I didn`t Google this - just looked at the Jazz Passengers sleeve. The primary studio credit is Power Station , now known as Avator Studios. Bruce Springsteen recorded there a lot so maybe he`s the owner/ recorder you refer to.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Nope. The EC Jazz Passengers vocal was for something with Deborah Harry on it, but she and he recorded in different studios.

The artist in question had an album almost by the same name as the studio. He's dead now, by the way.
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

This is a deductive reasoning guess....has to be someone who was involved in the production of his own records. Has to be someone who recorded quite a bit of material. Although I'm not sure if he ever recorded in New York, I'm gonna guess Buddy Holly.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Well, we guessed Electric Ladyland but we skipped actually saying Jimi Hendrix, so I reckon that's it???
Last edited by selfmademug on Sat May 08, 2004 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

John Lennon??
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

EC recorded some vocals for a Jazz Passengers thing at the studio founded by them.
Of the artist, that is.

Cosmos, it's not Buddy Holly. Buddy's dress sense was altogether a lot more straightlaced.

The name of the studio is not Electric Ladyland.
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

P.S ... I thought the Rolling Stones Mobile recording studio was the first artsit run studio? But they obviously dont fit the bill :? :?:
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

Bamboo, you're killing us.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Mug, I missed your post! It is indeed Jimi. The studio is called Electric Lady Studios, not Electric Ladyland... that was his album.

Here's where I got the info from: http://www.electricladystudios.com/history.html

Phew!

Scorecard
martinfoyle 6
Blue Chair 4
Tim(e) 3
MikeBoom 3
Gillibeanz 3
RedShoes 2
so lack 2
DrJ 1
spooky girlfriend 1
BWAP 1
J Doofster 1
Otis Westinghouse 1
Selfmademug 1
Bambooneedle 1
Everyone else 0
Last edited by bambooneedle on Sat May 08, 2004 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

Well done Mug ! - nice signature quote you have there by the way - I lurrrvvvee that song.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Cool!

Okay, I think this will be snapped up in a sec by the likes of BWAP or ElVez, etc. The father of actor Cuba Gooding Jr. was the lead singer of a group that had a massive hit in 1972. What was the group and the great song?

Oh and of COURSE no Googling, cause you'd have it in 7 seconds that way. Ya know it or ya don't.
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

"Everybody Plays the Fool" - The Main Ingredient

No, I didn't Google it, but I do work part-time at an oldies station!
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Correct! So much for my 15 seconds of fame! Was just listening to that tune tonight...

And yur question??
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

In the category of "what would've happened if.....?"

Three members of Lynyrd Skynyrd were killed in a plane crash in 1977. The cause was mechanical failure. However, what many people don't know is that another band was set to charter that very same plane a couple of months earlier, but decided not to due to the plane being "too rickety." Which band survived?
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

The first thing that popped into my head was Fleetwood Mac. I think that's a totally random guess, rather than one of those miraculous gut-reaction buried recalls...