Wake up you footy fans!!!

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Gillibeanz wrote:Watched the Spurs v Arsenal game live on tv. We totally dominated the arse in the first half and then came out like a second rate side in the second half! So much for team tatics and motivating talks at half time! :roll:

Why oh why does our stupid manager leave it 'til near the end of the match to bring on Robbie Keane?? He can't even be expected to have warmed up in the amount of time Jol gives him on the pitch - it makes me mad!! :evil:
Live? On what channel.

To refer to Jol as 'stupid' defies belief Gilli.
corruptio optimi pessima
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

LOL. Great stuff from The Special One...

Wenger a 'voyeur,' says Mourinho
By Charles Carrick (Filed: 31/10/2005)

Chelsea coach Jose Mourinho has dubbed Arsene Wenger a "voyeur" after the Arsenal manager highlighted his London rivals' failure to win two matches last week.

The Frenchman had said Chelsea, who won their opening nine Premiership matches, had lost their "big belief" after drawing away to struggling Everton last Sunday and then being knocked out of the Carling Cup by Charlton.

But Mourinho, who on Friday wondered if there would be a national holiday called when Chelsea next lose, responded with a withering attack.

"I think he is one of these - how do you call it - voyeurs. He is someone who likes to watch other people. There are some guys who have this big telescope to see what happens in other families. He must be one of them.

"He speaks and he speaks and he speaks about Chelsea. He is always speaking about other families. Being a voyeur is a sickness. Now and again you have to speak about your opponents, you have to answer a few things - it is part of the game.

"You have to try to put pressure on them and send a message but when you do it all the time in the same direction it looks like a sickness."

Mourinho raised Arsenal's own poor run of form which has seen them drop to seventh in the Premiership, 14 points behind Chelsea.

"You can do it [criticise] when your morale is great but when you are nearing game No 11 and you still can't win away from home and, without Thierry Henry you can't win a game, he should be worried about them," Mourinho added.

"But he is worried about us because he is always speaking about us - Chelsea, Chelsea, Chelsea!

"Whenever I've met him he's always correct, no problem. But I think he must have a problem.

"You have to solve your own problems. I must be worried that my team made defensive mistakes but I shouldn't be worried about what Arsenal did at Tottenham."
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

That is hilarious! What do you expect with a name like Arsehole Wanger? Still, Arse can still come back and pick up a point after trailing away from home, unlike a certain other time who ought to be contenders but aren't... Still, Middlesborough always tend to be a bit of a bogey team for us.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:That is hilarious! What do you expect with a name like Arsehole Wanger? Still, Arse can still come back and pick up a point after trailing away from home, unlike a certain other time who ought to be contenders but aren't... Still, Middlesborough always tend to be a bit of a bogey team for us.
And at least you can find consolation in the fact that the man who tore your team to shreds is a big Buzzcocks fan:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/st ... pe&cc=5901
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Damn. Sounds like it was a dreadful performance. Still like us to go through.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:That is hilarious! What do you expect with a name like Arsehole Wanger?.
I can't believe he took the bait today. Any half-wit can see that Mourinho is trying to wind him up, but Wenger bites every time. It used to be Ferguson's job, but Jose does it even better. The silly git even threatened action over being called a voyeur...what fuckin action would that be then? :roll: :roll:
corruptio optimi pessima
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

I can understand Wenger being a touch irked about personal matters. There was that quickly pulled report about him being a paedophile a few years ago. As I recall there was a news report put over the internet which was taken off the site(s) very quickly.

Being a voyeur has sexual overtones.

But this winding up will run and run. As is typical of the times Fergie used to be the best (who can forget his tremendous Keegan wind up) but has had to accept that there are those now who do it better than him.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Sorry to say this Otis, but one gets the feeling that Utd are a fading force. They need new blood and I can't help thinking back to the way that great side of the 60s left a huge void when the likes of Charlton, Best, Stiles and Law moved on or hung up their boots. The quality isn't there like it used to be. Rio Ferdinand looks like he just can't be arsed. Not sure you'll get rid of him easily though.........who'd take him on that money and with his general attitude? Scholes is a pale shadow of his former self.
corruptio optimi pessima
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Ditto.
They looked completely lost yesterday (and made my son - who's a big fan - very sad). And it's not the absence of players like Keane or Scholes, as some journalists would have it. Harsh as it may sound, it seems like some of them lost any motivation to leave their hearts and bones on the pitch, and those who care are not good enough. On top of that, I get the feeling that Sir Alex has no idea how to change it.
I wish them all the best anyway, if only for my son. :D
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

Jackson Monk wrote: Live? On what channel.
We have one of those huge satellite dishes that picks up programmes from all over the world. My partner has bought a card which lets you get all the live English football matches. Its all in foreign language though, so what he does is turn off the sound and put the radio commentary on (if its on the radio) - clever huh?

Jackson monk wrote:To refer to Jol as 'stupid' defies belief Gilli

How can you bring on a quality player like Keane 10 mins from the end of every match and expect him to perform miracles? If thats not stupid then I dunno what is. I'm dissapointed in Jol that hes going to lose Keane. I really rate him - he is a great player who should be playing full time not as a 10 minute sub.
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Well, I trust Jol implicitly even if I don't always agree with every decision he makes - he most certainly isn't stupid. For years we've been promised this and that by a succession of disappointing managers. Jol has just got on with it and has my full backing.

I disagree with your assessment of the match against Arsenal. We dominated one of the best sides in the country for 60 minutes (not the 45 you suggest). It's very rare for any side to do that for the entire 90 - Arse were bound to have a spell in control. Spurs should have been 3-0 up by the time that Pires came on and turned the tide. Hardly Jol's fault.

I share your view that Robbie Keane should have come on earlier and it will be sad if he chooses to leave. However, I agree with Jol's view that Defoe and Keane can't play together. As much as I love Keano, I rate Defoe slightly higher (as do most Spurs fans in my experience). It's interesting that Robbie's career has followed the same pattern over the past few years wherever he's been. He just doesn't seem to fit into the pattern of play sometimes. For years Spurs managers have tried to change the system to accommodate players (Ginola and Sheringham spring to mind) and I for one am glad that Jol doesn't fall for that mistake.

For a 'stupid' manager, he seems to be doing pretty ok at the moment.
corruptio optimi pessima
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Jackson Monk wrote:For a 'stupid' manager, he seems to be doing pretty ok at the moment.
He's doing a great job at Spurs, and I must say that managers like Mourinho and Wenger could probably learn a thing or two from him about good sportsmanship. He had every right to complain bitterly after that Mendes goal was taken away last year at Old Trafford, but he handled it with class.
Otis Westinghouse

Agree he's a good sound geezer. Can we have 'im?
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

Jackson Monk wrote: Spurs should have been 3-0 up by the time that Pires came on and turned the tide. Hardly Jol's fault.
Doesn't that tell you something about the fact that we don't have the forwards quite right? We have a really good potential team at the moment, and should be scoring more than we do. We shouldn't have to rely on a defender scoring the only goal in a big match against teams like Arsenal!

Jol is doing ok but its early days yet and a long way to go til the end of the season to be gleeful. Im fed up of getting my hopes up only to be dissapointed when we end up where we always do in the league at the end of the season - mid table with no silver in the trophy cupboard. So glad as I am we are doing much better at the moment im reserving judgement til the summer!! :D

There is no way Keane will stay without being full time in the team. I for one will be really gutted to see him go. :(
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Gillibeanz wrote:
Jackson Monk wrote: Spurs should have been 3-0 up by the time that Pires came on and turned the tide. Hardly Jol's fault.
Doesn't that tell you something about the fact that we don't have the forwards quite right? We have a really good potential team at the moment, and should be scoring more than we do. We shouldn't have to rely on a defender scoring the only goal in a big match against teams like Arsenal!

Jol is doing ok but its early days yet and a long way to go til the end of the season to be gleeful. Im fed up of getting my hopes up only to be dissapointed when we end up where we always do in the league at the end of the season - mid table with no silver in the trophy cupboard. So glad as I am we are doing much better at the moment im reserving judgement til the summer!! :D

There is no way Keane will stay without being full time in the team. I for one will be really gutted to see him go. :(
Well, Defoe was not responsible for missing any chances and he's the one who'd have to make way. They chances missed were from midfielders and none were glaring.

I feel sorry for Keano. He's got so much talent, but quite frankly, he is not going to get a start in any team with better prospects than Spurs. He can stay and play a part, or he can go to a team like Villa, Everton or Blackburn. The big boys and those with prospects wouldn't guarantee him a start because they all have at least 2 recognised forwards. I personally think he'll end up abroad or at Everton if he goes - which is no foregone conclusion.

For his sake he should stay put. Players get injured and he'll get his chance. He's also earning a pretty good whack and not many outside the big four could afford him. I doubt he'll be prepared to take a wage cut to go to Ewood Park or St. Andrews.
corruptio optimi pessima
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Damn. Sounds like we played a poor first half against ManU, then couldn't find a way through in the second. Coming back to the pack a bit now, but I still like our chances to repeat as champions. Some tough away fixtures behind us now (Anfield, Old Trafford, WHL).
Otis Westinghouse

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chelsea are shite, we are the best. Jose is a knob: 'They won, but they didn't deserve.' Bumface. Fergie is a genius: (in response to a question about pressure on Sky TV) 'That's a load of bollocks, there's always pressure.' Great day. Bugger Lampard and fantasy football. OK, so we lost at home to Blackburn, collapsed at Middlesborough and can't beat an average team like Lille, but WE CAN BEAT CHELSEA!
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis Westinghouse wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chelsea are shite, we are the best. Jose is a knob: 'They won, but they didn't deserve.' Bumface. Fergie is a genius: (in response to a question about pressure on Sky TV) 'That's a load of bollocks, there's always pressure.' Great day. Bugger Lampard and fantasy football. OK, so we lost at home to Blackburn, collapsed at Middlesborough and can't beat an average team like Lille, but WE CAN BEAT CHELSEA!
Oh dear. Talk about an overreaction. You must really be desperate for good news.

Have they declared a national holiday yet?
Otis Westinghouse

Course I am! And everyone's sick of Chelsea having it so easy. Good analysis from Hansen on MOTD2. Combination of good work rate and tactical nous. Jose being less of an eejit on this interview, off to share a bottle of wine with ferg. Would pay good money for a DVD of that. Alan Smith playing a decent midfield game! The Fletcher header is a stonker. Happy, happy day.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Course I am! And everyone's sick of Chelsea having it so easy. Good analysis from Hansen on MOTD2. Combination of good work rate and tactical nous. Jose being less of an eejit on this interview, off to share a bottle of wine with ferg. Would pay good money for a DVD of that. Alan Smith playing a decent midfield game! The Fletcher header is a stonker. Happy, happy day.
We'll get you at the Bridge. Would love to have some of that wine that Ferg and Jose share. I think one of the bottles they opened last year was some ultra-rare Portuguese wine.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

A good Portuguese wine is very rare indeed.
signed with love and vicious kisses
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

so lacklustre wrote:A good Portuguese wine is very rare indeed.
Well, there's vintage port, which can be incredible in a good year. I've got two bottles of 1994 vintage port in my basement and would even be willing to open one if you were ever to get over to New York, just to show you how good it can be.

There are also some very expensive reds produced in Portugal, which are supposed to be amazing. I think Mourinho gave him a bottle of Barca Velha, which is eye-wateringly expensive.

And on a hot summer day, a bottle of Vinho Verde is a very nice thing.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Off the topic here, I know, but I won't talk long.

Oooh, I love Vinho Verde. Very refreshing. We like Broadbent.

Before Doc's dad died, he bought us two bottles of Churchill's 1994 Vintage Porto. Primo stuff.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Hot off the press

Patrick Vieira has accused Ruud van Nistelrooy of being an arrogant, cowardly son of a bitch. The French international went on to say that he couldn't understand why Arsenal had not tried to sign the Dutch striker as he would fit in nicely.
:lol:
corruptio optimi pessima
Otis Westinghouse

Portuguese wine: often fabulous.

I'm tempted to go to NY just to indulge in some of that '94 port.